OF and domestic violence warnings >>>

jambojackbilly

jambojackbilly

Police target known wife beaters in advance in bid to cut down Old Firm match day domestic violence

Jan 1 2010 By Keith McLeod

***DREDS of known wifebeaters are to get police warnings in the run-up to Sunday's Old Firm clash.

Officers will call on the thugs to warn them that violence at home on the day of the match will not be tolerated.

The visits to 800 men from both sides of the divide are part of a major drive to tackle spiralling domestic violence.

http://www.lbp.police.uk/press_release%5Carticles%5C2009%5CDecember%5C31%5C2.htm

Lothian and Borders Police is using this weekend's Derby match at Easter Road (3rd January) to tackle violence against women.

Police will send out a bluetooth message to over 17,000 supporters asking them never to commit, condone or remain silent about violence against women.

Hibs and Hearts players will also wear special white ribbon badges in support of the White Ribbon Campaign against domestic abuse.

The players' show of support is part of a Lothian and Borders Police campaign to combat domestic abuse over the festive season when violence against women typically escalates. The campaign aims to make people aware that violence against women will not be tolerated in Lothian and the Borders.

Does plod really think that wife beaters will take notice of a message sent to their phone? Waste of money IMO as the money will be better spent chasing real criminals instead of hassleing (sp) innocent people.

Did you read the bit about condone or remain silent? This is directed towards the victims and their families.

As for "hasseling innocent people" are you saying it is ok to beat your wife up?

Honestly, it will be so embarassing if this type of story gets out in the mainstream news over here.

The OF really are an embarrassment to Scotland and the dross that follow them make me puke.

Did you read the bit about condone or remain silent? This is directed towards the victims and their families.

As for "hasseling innocent people" are you saying it is ok to beat your wife up?

Of course not, I am not convinced that this is an effective way to tackle this sort of thing.

Honestly, it will be so embarassing if this type of story gets out in the mainstream news over here.

The OF really are an embarrassment to Scotland and the dross that follow them make me puke.

Embarrassing? I think it sends a very positive signal. I'm sure Australia has just as much of a problem with domestic violence as Scotland does.

And anyway, it isn't just the OF. As mentioned above L&B will be sending it to everyone at Fester Road this weekend too.

Embarrassing? I think it sends a very positive signal. I'm sure Australia has just as much of a problem with domestic violence as Scotland does.

And anyway, it isn't just the OF. As mentioned above L&B will be sending it to everyone at Fester Road this weekend too.

It's a positive move by the police, but the mere fact that they connect this to the OF derby gives a tawdry image of weegies battering their toothless wives senseless because their team lost. Not a good image.

As you say though a smart initiative.

Hadn't read the press release. Thought from the OP that they were having to go round visiting all the ****bags with previous and warning them off.

Goose Baxter

I think its sad to be honest with you! What a waste of money and I seen this on the front off the news paper!! Is this really front page news??? Don't think so.

I think its sad to be honest with you! What a waste of money and I seen this on the front off the news paper!! Is this really front page news??? Don't think so.

Hardly a waste of money.... and it might not be newsworthy to you but I'm sure it's a gesture very much appreciated by the victims and friends/family of those affected by domestic violence. Had you read the article in question you might have discovered that incidents involving domestic violence triple at this time of year - there is a very good reason for the initiative, whether you find it worthy of column inches or not...

[/b]

Of course not, I am not convinced that this is an effective way to tackle this sort of thing.

So what is an effective way of preventing domestic violence? You may not have noticed the campaign on tv and radio commercials over the last month.

3128362104_5f382c79c2.jpg

Noticeable by the white feather.

Another thing to bear in mind is the cost of sending a bluetooth message is minimal.

If it prevents one person getting a smack when their partner or father comes home in a foul drunken mood after their team lost then it's worthwhile imo.

jambojackbilly

Some of those weegies getting a kicking is like a badge of honour and the perpetrators are usually great with the kids eh , so it's OK really NOT

No excuse and even if it gets the message across to some of these bullies it will have been worthwhile IMO

One in five Scottish women suffers from domestic abuse during their lifetime. Great initiative. :thumb:

Can anyone clarify if this is an initiative against domestic violence, or zero tolerance of violence against women. Hopefully both, but there is significant difference between the two.

Can anyone clarify if this is an initiative against domestic violence, or zero tolerance of violence against women. Hopefully both, but there is significant difference between the two.

Apparently there is a direct correlation between derby fixtures (both Glasgow & Edinburgh), the festive season and the number of incidents involving domestic violence so I'd guess that this particular initiative is aimed at preventing violence against women but it doesn't really specify.

Apparently there is a direct correlation between derby fixtures (both Glasgow & Edinburgh), the festive season and the number of incidents involving domestic violence so I'd guess that this particular initiative is aimed at preventing violence against women but it doesn't really specify.

There has also been a month long campaign in relation to domestic violence generally. This is not unique to female victims.

One in five Scottish women suffers from domestic abuse during their lifetime. Great initiative. :thumb:

I've read this before. Not only is that a truely awful statistic, it more than likely means we all know (but may not be aware of) many, many people who have committed domestic violence against their partner.

jambojackbilly

Some couples accept domestic violence as the norm, usually the jealous types or either blames it on drink/drugs and they move on till the next time

I know a few who have hit their partner, even witnessed it and its awful

Denial and dont mention it then rears its ugly head,sad but thats the reality

CavySlaveJambo

I may be wrong but it could also be for people who suspect a family member/friend is being abused, to encourage them to speak up about it and try and get them help too.

I've read this before. Not only is that a truely awful statistic, it more than likely means we all know (but may not be aware of) many, many people who have committed domestic violence against their partner.

Perhaps the people who think this is an effective way of dealing with the problem and is a hassle to the public.

It's a positive move by the police, but the mere fact that they connect this to the OF derby gives a tawdry image of weegies battering their toothless wives senseless because their team lost. Not a good image.

As you say though a smart initiative.

Hadn't read the press release. Thought from the OP that they were having to go round visiting all the ****bags with previous and warning them off.

It's actually both initatives MJ. In the West the police are targeting "known offenders", in the east it's a Bluetooth message to everyone at the game.

In term of the image, and comparisons, a couple of figures caught my eye. Lothian & Borders Police had 350 officers on duty to police 80,000 beer'd up New Year revelers last night, and four arrests.

Strathclyde's finest are deploying an EXTRA 750 officers after the old firm game to help atempt police the aftermath of the match, and I'd guess they'll get slightly more than four arrests. I'm sure I read in the summer that, on average, two murders are linked (directly or indirectly) to any old firm match.

So what is an effective way of preventing domestic violence? You may not have noticed the campaign on tv and radio commercials over the last month.

3128362104_5f382c79c2.jpg

Noticeable by the white feather.

Another thing to bear in mind is the cost of sending a bluetooth message is minimal.

Having thought about your posts, I admit I was wrong with my original posts, my apologies if I upset anyone.

Archived