The greatest Scot

gadgey55

Rabbie Burns...

No ma cup of tea. I'd have went with Billy Connoly.

Like Haggis though. Poems are a crock of ****e IMO

The proof of the puddin is will people remember Connolly in 200 years.

I doubt it.

Burns was my kind of man, a travelling, womanising drinker. :thumb:

Cairneyhill Jambo

I doubt it.

I agree. Burns is still being remembered and worshipped hundreds of years after his death.

Connolly on the other hand is a ******. He was funny at one time but not anymore.

He is about as Scottish as a McDonalds happy meal.

He's made his bed, **** in it, and he can now lie in it.

Tool of a man.

Guest Freewheelin' Jambo

Robert the Bruce.

Despite the revisionism and the character assassination of Braveheart, this man is the greatest Scot.

Military genius, a man of remarkable humanity for the age he lived in, suffered terrible personal losses but never gave up a truly titanic struggle and a truly enlightened individual.

If it was not for him we would be no better than northern Britons.

Prince Buaben
I agree. Burns is still being remembered and worshipped hundreds of years after his death.

Connolly on the other hand is a ******. He was funny at one time but not anymore.

He is about as Scottish as a McDonalds happy meal.

He's made his bed, **** in it, and he can now lie in it.

Tool of a man.

What do you mean by that?

Guest Freewheelin' Jambo

I doubt it.

A guid Mason also, I believe...

I've seen Billy Connoly 3 times live and I think he's FAF. The gadgey who built the forth rail bridge should have been in with a better shout too. 130 years ago it was built.

The Real Maroonblood
I've seen Billy Connoly 3 times live and I think he's FAF. The gadgey who built the forth rail bridge should have been in with a better shout too. 130 years ago it was built.

What about Robbo for all the goals he scored against the dark side?

What about Robbo for all the goals he scored against the dark side?

And you had to ask if there was such a thing as a guid mason?

Look no further than Robbo:thumb:

Carl Spackler

Billy Connelly? That suggestion is funnier than the man himself.

What about Adam Smith? James Watt? Innumerable others.

Maxwell is a decent shout too.

132goals1958
You have to wonder what defines "great" with some of the suggestions on here......... Billy Connolly and Chris Hoy FFS! :blink:

Absolutely--- As much as I love sport and entertainment to draw a parrallel with the pioneers of science, medicine. engineering, classical economists, philanthropists etc is plain daft.

Despite never scoring against the wee team, James Clerk Maxwell gets my vote.

With his CV he didn't need to score against the wee team.

Entertainers and athletes do not belong on this list.

As a race, we have punched above our weight in terms of our contribution to the worlds development.:thumb:

Just would've been the cherry on the icing on the cake :D

From Wikipedia, with one proposed amendment at the end in italics. Should do it. :thumb:

James Clerk Maxwell (13 June 1831 ? 5 November 1879) was a Scottish theoretical physicist and mathematician. His most important achievement was classical electromagnetic theory, synthesizing all previous unrelated observations, experiments and equations of electricity, magnetism and even optics into a consistent theory. His set of equations?Maxwell's equations?demonstrated that electricity, magnetism and even light are all manifestations of the same phenomenon: the electromagnetic field. From that moment on, all other classic laws or equations of these disciplines became simplified cases of Maxwell's equations. Maxwell's work in electromagnetism has been called the "second great unification in physics", after the first one carried out by Isaac Newton.

Maxwell demonstrated that electric and magnetic fields travel through space in the form of waves, and at the constant speed of light. Finally, in 1864 Maxwell wrote "A dynamical theory of the electromagnetic field", where he first proposed that light was in fact undulations in the same medium that is the cause of electric and magnetic phenomena. His work in producing a unified model of electromagnetism is considered to be one of the greatest advances in physics.

Maxwell also developed the Maxwell distribution, a statistical means of describing aspects of the kinetic theory of gases. These two discoveries helped usher in the era of modern physics, laying the foundation for future work in such fields as special relativity and quantum mechanics.

Maxwell is also known for creating the first true colour photograph in 1861 and for his foundational work on the rigidity of rod-and-joint frameworks like those in many bridges.

Maxwell is considered by many physicists to be the 19th-century scientist with the greatest influence on 20th-century physics. His contributions to the science are considered by many to be of the same magnitude as those of Isaac Newton and Albert Einstein. In the end of millennium poll, a survey of the 100 most prominent physicists saw Maxwell voted the third greatest physicist of all time, behind only Newton and Einstein. On the centennial of Maxwell's birthday, Einstein himself described Maxwell's work as the "most profound and the most fruitful that physics has experienced since the time of Newton." Einstein kept a photograph of Maxwell on his study wall, alongside pictures of Michael Faraday and Newton. According to the available records of the time, Maxwell never scored a goal against the wee team. Nonetheless his achievements in the field of science mean that he is considered one of the greatest persons of Scottish birth ever to have lived.

Entertainers and athletes do not belong on this list.

As a race, we have punched above our weight in terms of our contribution to the worlds development.:thumb:

.. and Rabbie Burns was little more than an entertainer with very little to offer the world outside of Scotland.

.. and Rabbie Burns was little more than an entertainer with very little to offer the world outside of Scotland.

Correct. Made up his own vocabulary just to make his poems rhyme! 'Breastie'

eh?

Much like Shakespeare from an English perspective.

Oh and Van Gogh was really a mis understood painter and decorator:smile:

Pontius Pilate. Fundamentally changed human society in the then known world, and half the present known world. From Bo'ness I think.

Archived