Driving in the Snow.

Ray Winstone

Second Rant in the last five minutes.

Driving in the snow is exceedingly easy as far as I am concerned.

It only becomes an issue because many many people panic as soon as there is any snow on road.

Around town - just drive carefuly and don't try and over-rev your car.

The motorway is even easier. These are probably the safest roads to drive on during the day as they have been gritted and cleared properly.

Driving up from Edinburgh to Aberdeen today and some light snow begins to fall - people start slamming on their breaks at the strangest times - honest to god just drive steadily and keep a safe distance from the car infront, there usually is no need to slow down to crawling speeds.

Incredible how people panic when driving in this weather and it is the panic driving that causes the accidents not the weather!

Second rant over.

Driving on the motorway in the dark whilst snowing is a feckin nightmare. Nowt but white dots on the windscreen! Driving in the snow in general is a piece of cake if ye know what yer doin. Seen a shed load of crashes this past couple of weeks though. Over confidence is nae good.

Second Rant in the last five minutes.

Driving in the snow is exceedingly easy as far as I am concerned.

It only becomes an issue because many many people panic as soon as there is any snow on road.

Around town - just drive carefuly and don't try and over-rev your car.

The motorway is even easier. These are probably the safest roads to drive on during the day as they have been gritted and cleared properly.

Driving up from Edinburgh to Aberdeen today and some light snow begins to fall - people start slamming on their breaks at the strangest times - honest to god just drive steadily and keep a safe distance from the car infront, there usually is no need to slow down to crawling speeds.

Incredible how people panic when driving in this weather and it is the panic driving that causes the accidents not the weather!

Second rant over.

Couldn't agree more. :bravo:

Most accidents are caused by people who have no idea how to drive safely in adverse weather. Snow and ice do not themselves cause accidents, driving inapropriately in snow and ice does.

:thumb:

The greatest problem here is that those with four wheel drive SUV's feel that they are invincible. There is no doubt a 4 wheeler gets you moving well, it really just doesn't make a whole lot of difference if you have to stop in a hurry. My fear in driving in adverse condition is not any lack of ability on my part, its the lack of ability in some of the people with whom I share the road.

It is too easy to generalise. There are variants beyond the driver that can have a dramatic effect, these include:

Rear of front wheel drive, or eveb 4 wheel drive;

The size, weight and type of car or vehicle;

The tyres are very signifcant.

Automatics

etc.

It's easy to blame other people, but I accept some are stupid and selfish.

Snow and Ice themselves may not caus accidents, but they can make a signifcant contriution. Have to agree though, driving inappropriately is a big issue, but then how many people really know how to drive appropriately in such conditions.

blondejamtart

Left to my own devices, I don't actually mind driving in the snow - when I first started work, I used to drive from Gorebridge to Haddington and back when the snow drifts were taller than my wee Mini. If I was the only one on the road, it wouldn't bother me at all - it's all the other eejits who panic at the first snowflake who rip my knitting!

Get in a high gear as soon as and use them to slow you down. Avoid the brakes whenever possible.

Remember if you crash into the "idiot" in front, the only person the insurance company will blame is you, so keep your distance. :thumb:

alwaysthereinspirit

Living in New England we're gauranteed snow every winter. Yet every year half the population act like they just moved North from Florida. F****** does ma heid in so it does.

It is too easy to generalise. There are variants beyond the driver that can have a dramatic effect, these include:

Rear of front wheel drive, or eveb 4 wheel drive;

The size, weight and type of car or vehicle;

The tyres are very signifcant.

Automatics

etc.

Fair enough, but the driver is responsible for taking these variations into account when getting behind the wheel of a vehicle.

I also agree with you that far to many drivers have no idea how to drive in ice or snow. Maybe it should form part of the test, both the theory and practical on a skid pan?

Left to my own devices, I don't actually mind driving in the snow - when I first started work, I used to drive from Gorebridge to Haddington and back when the snow drifts were taller than my wee Mini. If I was the only one on the road, it wouldn't bother me at all - it's all the other eejits who panic at the first snowflake who rip my knitting!

I am astounded, its madness to knit when driving on good roads but to do it in the snow is mad and crazy. Only a woman could do this.

blondejamtart
I am astounded, its madness to knit when driving on good roads but to do it in the snow is mad and crazy. Only a woman could do this.

It's called multi-tasking, sweetie...:mw_tease:

I'll agree with this.

Was following somebody the other day, I was 10 behind (her, i'm sure), there was 50 behind me, wasn't going very fast, I could see her wheels were spinning rapidly, obviously thought the best way forward was to welly it rather than a steady speed in 2/3r.

Real thing I hate is hitting a hill behind somebody who thinks 2mph is a good thing.

:_wtf___by_Green_Ogr

Goose Baxter

Better to be safe than sorry, don't think its a problem driving in the snow but its all the ice underneath the snow that is the major problem with the roads.

The roads in west lothian are still pretty bad with thick ice underneath the fresh snow.

I got stuck at an accident on the J2 slip road of the M8 going into Livingston, where a lorry had jack-knifed & there were another 4 cars scattered about it.

The road hadn't been gritted at all & all the drivers getting out for a neb were all slipping on their arses.

Well done to the 2 lads that waved down traffic to prevent more accidents.

On a personal note, never drive a BMW in the snow. The rear wheel drive is hopeless.

On a personal note, never drive a BMW in the snow. The rear wheel drive is hopeless.

Very true. Stick someone in the boot to weigh it down! :hae52:

Archived