Incorrect Default On Credit File.

The Comedian

I recently spotted on my Experian credit file a default (?135) on a O2 phone contract. This was a contract which began in March 2004 and finished a year later 2005. I had absolutely no idea about this. I was never contacted from O2 or a collections agency to my knowledge. The default was dated 2006, a year after the contract ended.

On calling them to ask about this account the customer service advisor said there was nothing owed on this account and it looked a mess. He even mentioned that it said I'd been made bankrupt which Is nonsense. I've emailed their credit file referral department to straighten this out.

So they have left me with a default on a account with nothing outstanding on it. If they, and it looks like it, have messed up will they completely remove this default from my file and compensate me for the difficulties I've had getting credit? This is the only black mark on my name and I feel hard done by. I don't want them leaving it on there but listed as satisfied.

Has anyone had similar experiences to this, I assume this default has ruined my credit chances since 2006.

I had a default of ?25 for a mobile phone contract I had messed up the final payment on when leaving the contract. It was years before I noticed it. I'm pretty sure it was O2 as well. They hadnt ever contacted me for payment and it was only when I was refused credit some years later that it came to light. (I had been given credit loads of times in between)

So I call them and ask if I can pay this to get the default removed....."No you cant, its an archived account !!!"

I wrote to their customer services recorded delivery enclosing a cheque and the reference number saying that I expected the default on my financial records to be removed within two weeks of receipt of the payment (them placing or retaining inaccurate information on your credit history is one of the most serious breaches of the Data Protection Act that there is)

Checked my credit history again 3 weeks later and they had removed the default. Didnt ever cash the cheque though.

I had a default of ?25 for a mobile phone contract I had messed up the final payment on when leaving the contract. It was years before I noticed it. I'm pretty sure it was O2 as well. They hadnt ever contacted me for payment and it was only when I was refused credit some years later that it came to light. (I had been given credit loads of times in between)

So I call them and ask if I can pay this to get the default removed....."No you cant, its an archived account !!!"

I wrote to their customer services recorded delivery enclosing a cheque and the reference number saying that I expected the default on my financial records to be removed within two weeks of receipt of the payment (them placing or retaining inaccurate information on your credit history is one of the most serious breaches of the Data Protection Act that there is)

Checked my credit history again 3 weeks later and they had removed the default. Didnt ever cash the cheque though.

You were lucky it was fully removed. As far as I'm aware, if you default and subsequently clear the balance it is left on your history anyway but listed as satisfied meaning you are fully penalised even if you have paid up.

The Old Tolbooth

If you get a letter from O2 stating that they have made a mistake on your behalf, then if your applying for a mortgage for instance and show the lender the letter, they will usually ignore the blip on your file and lend to you. I've had to do that with a few clients in the past who had similar situations.

I recently spotted on my Experian credit file a default (?135) on a O2 phone contract. This was a contract which began in March 2004 and finished a year later 2005. I had absolutely no idea about this. I was never contacted from O2 or a collections agency to my knowledge. The default was dated 2006, a year after the contract ended.

On calling them to ask about this account the customer service advisor said there was nothing owed on this account and it looked a mess. He even mentioned that it said I'd been made bankrupt which Is nonsense. I've emailed their credit file referral department to straighten this out.

So they have left me with a default on a account with nothing outstanding on it. If they, and it looks like it, have messed up will they completely remove this default from my file and compensate me for the difficulties I've had getting credit? This is the only black mark on my name and I feel hard done by. I don't want them leaving it on there but listed as satisfied.

Has anyone had similar experiences to this, I assume this default has ruined my credit chances since 2006.

I had a similar problem, absoultey raging about it as i missed out on credit for a new car because of it !

I had a old student account with the abbey, i never used it but it was in debit, any way i went to close it down and was told it was closed so i canel a DD to that account. Now they started charging me 25 pound a month for some unknown reason, i obviosly did not pay them. It got up to something like 200 pounds in charges and finally they had a look at the account and admitted it was a mistake and took off all the charges and closed the account. All is well, until 2 months later when statemants start coming again ! Went thru the whole thing again with them!

Now like yourself i had a look on my credit file and was shocked to find they had put it down as a defult (8). I'm still trying to sort it out thru the bank as they are the only ones who can change it !

Anyway i would highly recoomending anyone to pay the fiver to have a look at your file as its well worth it !

You were lucky it was fully removed. As far as I'm aware, if you default and subsequently clear the balance it is left on your history anyway but listed as satisfied meaning you are fully penalised even if you have paid up.

I think they must have accepted that they hadnt contacted me or given me the chance to make good the debt at the time it was incurred

The thing I dislike is that even if you clear the balance It actually doesn't do a blind bit of good. A satisfied default or not, you are stung the same way. Surely if you have cleared the debt the you shouldn't have your credit score effected as much? Seems unfair to me. It doesn't make it worth paying if you have to wait on it expiring anyway.

a default stays on your account for 4 years before the account disappears. if it shouldn't be there it should be removable.

internationalcoverup

I recently had a similar problem with a missing mortgage payment that i knew nothing about until i applied for credit and got knocked back as it was showing up on my credit file. I got excellent help from the citizens advice bureau and the building society admitted responsibility. They wrote to all the credit file companies and got the offending note wiped off my file. I have since been successful in acquiring the credit i was originally looking for.

Archived