The Pacific

vegas-voss

New drama from the makers of Band of Brothers.Basically the same but based around the fight with Japan this time.Starts in the spring on Sky Movies should be good.

Disappointed that it is going to be on Sky Movies.

However, I am really looking forward to this. If it is half as good as BoB it will be spectacular.

Think a lot of people are unaware of just how brutal the fighting was in the Pacific. I've visited some of the caves in Okinawa that the Japanese fought out of - very atmospheric place.

Disappointed that it is going to be on Sky Movies.

However, I am really looking forward to this. If it is half as good as BoB it will be spectacular.

Think a lot of people are unaware of just how brutal the fighting was in the Pacific. I've visited some of the caves in Okinawa that the Japanese fought out of - very atmospheric place.

It was indeed a VERY! bloody fight,I have read both of the books that The Pacific is based on, be prepared for some harrowing stuff.

For me, part of the draw of BoB (as well as its antecedent, Saving Private Ryan) was that it was set in the Western European theatre, so in a sense, I'm not looking forward to this quite as much as I would've been, had it say been done the other way around.

Band of Brothers was just stunning. They should show it in cinemas.

Looking forward to this one. My knowledge of the Pacific fight begins and ends at Call of Duty I am ashamed to admit. However the game has shown me a lot about the Banzii(sp) soldiers and just how brutal their tactics were on the allied forces.

I have read a book about a Viatnam Veteran which I imagine also links quite closely to the Pacific warfare. Should be good as long as the actors are up to it.

Dean Winchester

I've been following it's development quite closely since I had heard it was being made and have got the 2 books it's based on but haven't got around to reading them yet.

It will have some quite intense fighting in it as it's going to feature all the big battles staged over there, Okinawa, Iwo Jima, Guatalcanal etc. and will mostly be focussing on the authors of the 2 books and a third marine by the name of John (can't remember his second name) who died at Iwo Jima(?) after defeating an enemy blockhouse singlehandedly before being killed. I can remember reading his 15 man unit held off something like 3,000 soldiers at Guadalcanal.

Here's the trailer for any who haven't seen it:

Trailer 1:

Trailer 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noUJHcdX6KU&feature=channel

A few threads that have popped up here before seen quite a few of you say they weren't impressed with the being back home stuff thats being shown.... But John, who I presume it shall be centred around, did return to America in the middle of the war after some of his heroic feats before requesting a return to The Pacific.

Looking forward to this one. My knowledge of the Pacific fight begins and ends at Call of Duty I am ashamed to admit. However the game has shown me a lot about the Banzii(sp) soldiers and just how brutal their tactics were on the allied forces.

I have read a book about a Viatnam Veteran which I imagine also links quite closely to the Pacific warfare. Should be good as long as the actors are up to it.

Rent The Thin Red Line,Flags Of Our Fathers and Letters From Iwo Jima all quality war films based around the war with Japan.

Archived