Exhaust ripped off by bloody ice!!!

Walter Bishop

Walter Bishop

Just had the exhaust ripped off the wife's car due to the ice in our street!!!

We have 2 tyre tracks to get in and out and about 8" of ice and snow between them which has ripped of her exhaust!!

Am i in a position to complain to the council? We have had no gritters in our street at all!!!!

We have 2 tyre tracks to get in and out and about 8" of ice and snow between them which has ripped of her exhaust!!

Am i in a position to complain to the council? We have had no gritters in our street at all!!!!

Don't just complain, photocopy the bill for the repaired exhaust. And send it in with the letter, try get them to pay for it.

Doctor FinnBarr

Better without an exhaust as the elderly people walking on the road can hear you coming!

:santa2:

The council are a disgrace.

No sign of gritters in Craigmount despite the fact there are steep roads and its full of young families and residential care homes. I had a nasty experience about six years ago where I went straight through the junction near the high school as the brakes wouldn't work on black ice on a steep slope. I was very lucky that there was no traffic coming from any of the three possible directions.

I've not taken the car out for a week and have to walk very carefully as the pavements are worse than the roads, which are black ice.

The Mighty Thor

skippy.jpg

What's that Skippy? you're exhausted after taking the wife up the council gritter?

Councils up and down the country have run out of cash and if they were to get enough grit to do the job properly they would have to buy it in as there is always a shortage in this country.

This is about the worse year I can remember for roads and pavements being left without gritting.

Aberdeen is just as bad - if not worse.

Apparently there has been lots of problems with switching the wipers on when they have been frozen to the windscreen. Plays havoc with the electrics.

skippy.jpg

What's that Skippy? you're exhausted after taking the wife up the council gritter?

New keyboard and monitor please my beer just got sprayed as i laughed

It would be down to their insurance company to decide whether to make you any offer or not, and I can't see them paying out a penny.

They'll argue that you/the wife was neglegent for driving down a road when you knew it was that bad, so you're responsible for any damage caused.

They'll ask if you had reported it to the Council when you first became aware of the danger, or just driven on regardless.

If you claim that you never knew, the insurance company will then argue that the Council couldn't be expected to know either, so were not negligent.

Sorry mate, you have my sympathy, but I recon you'll need to wait for hell to freeze over, not just your street, before the council's insurance company would admit to negligence and/or pay out for the damage to the car.

Same as you, I'd give it a try, but with little hope of success.

Apparently there has been lots of problems with switching the wipers on when they have been frozen to the windscreen. Plays havoc with the electrics.

I had to peel my wiper off the windscreen yesterday and then it was no use as the rubber was frozen solid.

Era Macaroons
skippy.jpg

thats why i logged on

OP yer wives an erse:boat:

The Old Tolbooth
skippy.jpg

Surely a late contender for post of the year!!

:rofl:

Era Macaroons

just to add to prev post

so nowt to do with your wife then:smiliz57:

cant blame the council for being snowy can ye? :taz::qqb009::45::beatnik2::deal2::drummer::wheelchair::argue::gossip::silly:

my street is the same and gets no through traffic as it is a cul-de-sac. pretty sure the council only treat bus routes so they are still managing to offer a mode of transport. not sticking up for them but if you can't get in or out how do you expect them to drive a 20 ton truck up the slope through the snow.

my street is the same and gets no through traffic as it is a cul-de-sac. pretty sure the council only treat bus routes so they are still managing to offer a mode of transport. not sticking up for them but if you can't get in or out how do you expect them to drive a 20 ton truck up the slope through the snow.

They are supposed to grit before the road becomes unusable, not afterwards.

It strikes me that the council is only interested in doing the main roads and pavements in the areas visible to tourists. Waste of money paying council tax for a second rate service.

They are supposed to grit before the road becomes unusable, not afterwards.

It strikes me that the council is only interested in doing the main roads and pavements in the areas visible to tourists. Waste of money paying council tax for a second rate service.

Couldn't possible DISSAGREE more. :thumb:

Folk doing the gritting will have been working round the clock for the last couple of weeks. You're on holiday, bumping your gums that they're not working hard/fast enough, but what else can be done?

February and December 2009 have given us some unusually prolonged and severe weather, but other than these two months, when was the last time?

Do you want to pay the additional Council Tax, just for that 1-in-20 winter? Remembering that these resources will sit idle all the other years, just depreciating in a yard, and still needing serviced, taxed, and insured.

I was taught how to drive in snow and ice, but most seem to have no idea what to do, or not to do. They'll still get behind the wheel of their car regardless of any danger to themselves, other road users, or pedestrians.

Not having a pop at you personally (honestly!) but this really grinds my gears. Too many people will refuse to take any personal responsibility, they want the Council to ban winter, and they want it done free.

Rant over - till the next snow/freeze :thumb:

Couldn't possible DISSAGREE more. :thumb:

Folk doing the gritting will have been working round the clock for the last couple of weeks. You're on holiday, bumping your gums that they're not working hard/fast enough, but what else can be done?

February and December 2009 have given us some unusually prolonged and severe weather, but other than these two months, when was the last time?

Do you want to pay the additional Council Tax, just for that 1-in-20 winter? Remembering that these resources will sit idle all the other years, just depreciating in a yard, and still needing serviced, taxed, and insured.

I was taught how to drive in snow and ice, but most seem to have no idea what to do, or not to do. They'll still get behind the wheel of their car regardless of any danger to themselves, other road users, or pedestrians.

Not having a pop at you personally (honestly!) but this really grinds my gears. Too many people will refuse to take any personal responsibility, they want the Council to ban winter, and they want it done free.

Rant over - till the next snow/freeze :thumb:

Gas - there are some roads - particularly those on steep hills like the one I mentioned in Craigmount going to the school/church, that do need gritted for public safety as skilled driving can't save you if gravity is taking you downhill and your brakes and tyres have no grip.

The incident I mentioned above from the past was a miracle that I didn't hit anything when the car went straight through the junction, and traffic could have arrived from any of three possible directions during the rush hour. That road is used as a rat run by traffic trying to get to the Maybury from Drumbrae.

I realise these conditions are meant to be exceptional because we are in a period of global warming (cough :wacko2:). I realise the council can't repeatedly grit every street night after night, but surely they can grit dangerous roads as a lower priority behind main roads?

As for paying for a bit of extra gritting as you say, I wouldn't increase the council tax, but I'd charge more for people to use the facilities the council put on like the Hogmanay events and cut back/out the free events. The money the tourists pay go to the Treasury in London, not Edinburgh Council. A selfish attitude to take? Probably, but its us that pay for it.

Archived