Two Fat Ladies 88

Deek

Now non PC apparently. The world has gone mad. :smiliz57:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/suffolk/8431483.stm

A bingo caller has been advised to stop using phrases such as "two fat ladies" for fear of offending his audience.

John Sayers, who runs charity games in Sudbury, Suffolk, says he was told by a council clerk the traditional bingo call could upset some players.

Mr Sayers said no-one had complained before, but now players moaned his new numbers-only style was boring.

A town council spokeswoman said it was "sad" they had to give the advice but they had to be "politically correct".

Now non PC apparently. The world has gone mad. :smiliz57:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/suffolk/8431483.stm

A bingo caller has been advised to stop using phrases such as "two fat ladies" for fear of offending his audience.

John Sayers, who runs charity games in Sudbury, Suffolk, says he was told by a council clerk the traditional bingo call could upset some players.

Mr Sayers said no-one had complained before, but now players moaned his new numbers-only style was boring.

A town council spokeswoman said it was "sad" they had to give the advice but they had to be "politically correct".

Yeah, saw this yesterday. Unfortunately now it has hit the media it will give other organisations the idea that bingo calling might be non-PC and may lead to it falling away altogether. Madness. Of course, all this is not motivated by the desire not to offend people, it's motivated by wanting to prevent being sued by those "offended parties" who are after a quick buck. Over-litigation is truly a modern scourge.

Yeah, saw this yesterday. Unfortunately now it has hit the media it will give other organisations the idea that bingo calling might be non-PC and may lead to it falling away altogether. Madness. Of course, all this is not motivated by the desire not to offend people, it's motivated by wanting to prevent being sued by those "offended parties" who are after a quick buck. Over-litigation is truly a modern scourge.

This is motivated by some twit on the council. How many bingo callers have been sued by overweight women? :smiliz23:

This is motivated by some twit on the council. How many bingo callers have been sued by overweight women? :smiliz23:

Fat chance of that happening! :smiliz23:

"Sue Brotherwood, clerk of Sudbury Town Council, said she had made the decision in the [sic] after reading in a paper about a man being sued through calling at bingo.

"In particular with John being a councillor we have to be politically correct and whilst any insults were never meant I am afraid nowadays in the litigation society we live in people sometimes take these things personally," she said. "The last thing we want is for John to be sued because he said two fat ladies, 88, and there just so happened to be two fat ladies there."

- taken from http://www.eveningstar.co.uk/content/eveningstar/news/story.aspx?brand=ESTOnline&category=News&tBrand=ESTOnline&tCategory=xDefault&itemid=IPED25%20Dec%202009%2017%3A14%3A29%3A307.

"Sue Brotherwood, clerk of Sudbury Town Council, said she had made the decision in the [sic] after reading in a paper about a man being sued through calling at bingo.

"In particular with John being a councillor we have to be politically correct and whilst any insults were never meant I am afraid nowadays in the litigation society we live in people sometimes take these things personally," she said. "The last thing we want is for John to be sued because he said two fat ladies, 88, and there just so happened to be two fat ladies there."

- taken from http://www.eveningstar.co.uk/content/eveningstar/news/story.aspx?brand=ESTOnline&category=News&tBrand=ESTOnline&tCategory=xDefault&itemid=IPED25%20Dec%202009%2017%3A14%3A29%3A307.

Source? I'm quite serious. Some bureaucrat says she read something in a paper somewhere. Where?

Whackjobs.

Source? I'm quite serious. Some bureaucrat says she read something in a paper somewhere. Where?

Whackjobs.

I've had a look around but I can't find anything. :santa1: Whackjobs indeed.

if this case ever got to court they should just go with the defence "maybe the lady in question should stop eating so much, then she might get the lay she clearly needs"

I've had a look around but I can't find anything. :santa1: Whackjobs indeed.

In any case, most "traditional" bingo calls don't have the capacity to cause offence. So you can get around any potential problems by messing about with the ones that do - and still make it a bit amusing for the players.

Anyone see any irony in the name of the town clerk? ;)

In any case, most "traditional" bingo calls don't have the capacity to cause offence. So you can get around any potential problems by messing about with the ones that do - and still make it a bit amusing for the players.

Anyone see any irony in the name of the town clerk? ;)

:santa1: Also, surprise surprise, here's a picture of the lady in question, taken from the Sudbury Town Council site:

SUE%20%28NEW%29%20%28300%20x%20400%29.jpg

Now I see what motivated her... :santa4:

:santa1: Also, surprise surprise, here's a picture of the lady in question, taken from the Sudbury Town Council site:

big fat fatty with no neck and a dodgy perm...88!

so is she now trying to say that it's un-PC to even say the word "fat ladies"! Surely the Bingo guy could only be sued if he was actually calling someone or someones "fat ladies".

For those who dream of freer times....

The British mind is largely infested with this crap.

H.L. Mencken in large doses, please.

Get her banned from ever being allowed to get pumped.

"Your next number... One fat lady, definatly on it's own, number 8"

Many many years ago, my grandfather called numbers at his local bingo hall. He almost got fired when he made the call:

"A pair of pregnant women - 88!"

I laughed - mind you I was only about 14 at the time. I don't know that Sue the Town Clerk would be all that impressed. :laugh:

I P Knightley

Started reading the story and knew that it would be some miserable, fat sow who'd called for the ban.

You'd think that being so fat, she'd be aware of the dangers of drawing attention to herself in this manner.

Get her banned from ever being allowed to get pumped.

I'd think the frequent visits to the pie-shop have already done that for her.

Archived