Gdansk

Guest Pressleyno1

Guest Pressleyno1

In addition to an earlier post. What are people's thoughts on Gdansk for a long weekend type thing? Plenty to do? People nice? Cheap?

Lemme know cheers!

Lovely, lovely place. Plenty of things to do food-, culture- and scenery-wise.

Pretty cheap and everyone will speak English. Good place to go for a long weekend with the bird, IMO: not so much with the guys.

In addition to an earlier post. What are people's thoughts on Gdansk for a long weekend type thing? Plenty to do? People nice? Cheap?

Lemme know cheers!

I was there this summer. It's a wonderful city, particularly if you know a bit about or want to learn about Solidarnosc (who effectively kick-started the disintegration of the communist block, imo). Great people, good beer.

Guest Pressleyno1

Yeah Feb again, I wanna get away for a cheap deal. Will be with the bird, might incorporate a valentines day gift! Who knows.

I read somwehere it's a very rundown dirty place? Whats the prices like? Cheap or much the same as here?

Cheers!

Yeah Feb again, I wanna get away for a cheap deal. Will be with the bird, might incorporate a valentines day gift! Who knows.

I read somwehere it's a very rundown dirty place? Whats the prices like? Cheap or much the same as here?

Cheers!

Not true: it's really nice. I'll try and dig out some photos I took. I would guess you'll pay about 8-12zl for a beer in the centre of town, which is roughly between ?1.50 and ?2.50.

Guest Pressleyno1
Not true: it's really nice. I'll try and dig out some photos I took. I would guess you'll pay about 8-12zl for a beer in the centre of town, which is roughly between ?1.50 and ?2.50.

Mmmm, cheap beer. Sounds good.

Sorry mate, can't find the photos.

Make sure you eat some pierogi when you're there. It's awesome.

The cheese ones in particular are quality.

I'm not sure. Remind me what it is again?

Some stew like thing made from cabbage, meat, polish sausage, mushrooms & tomatoes. It's a browny orange colour, looks pretty horrible but it tasted really nice. Had it for the Christmas eve dinner thing, kind of felt like i'd ate a brick after but it was good at the time. :smiliz64:

Some stew like thing made from cabbage, meat, polish sausage, mushrooms & tomatoes. It's a browny orange colour, looks pretty horrible but it tasted really nice. Had it for the Christmas eve dinner thing, kind of felt like i'd ate a brick after but it was good at the time. :smiliz64:

Nah man, didn't have that.

Did have vegetable soup in a bowl made of bread, though. Well good.

How much to these tasty treats cost?

And I recon end of Feb will be very Baltic?

Average high in February 2 degrees, average low -5 degrees. :santa1: Literally Baltic.

Spookily enough, is that because it is on the Baltic coast.:smiliz64:

I flew there once but drove further south for a few days before heading to Warsaw.

We spent a night in a beautiful town called Ostroda, 50 miles south of Gdnask.

Very romantic beside a Lake which is the entrance to Polands Northern Lake system. There was some nice looking hotels on the lake but we stayed with relatives so cant tell you much more.

Recognising that this is of no help to you and it is wildly off topic, whenever the name "Gdansk", I always think "David live at...".

Its pretty cheap to eat out over there if your wanting to eat polish.

Eat out comfortably for probably about ?10 a head plus drinks.

Feb will be freezing. I was in poland in january and it hit -17 at one point.

I have been there twice as we have friends who live there.

It is a lovely city which has had a lot of redevelopment over the years.

We went to this Pizza place in the middle of a bomb site residential area, the pizza was amazing, let alone 20 inches wide!

Great place to visit, although have only ever been in summer.

Archived