Frankfurt...

Guest Pressleyno1

Guest Pressleyno1

Anyone been? Could have a cheap deal - ?92 flights and accomodation for 3 nights at end of Feb - Just wondering what it's like there, plenty to do etc.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

only passed through. Stayed one night.

From what I saw just seemed like any other city. Nothing stood out. I'm sure with more time there you would find plenty to do though. As with any other city.

If its cheap you can't go too far wrong even if its just to enjoy the german food and beer.#

Should also mention it will still be pretty cold that time of year.

Anyone been? Could have a cheap deal - ?92 flights and accomodation for 3 nights at end of Feb - Just wondering what it's like there, plenty to do etc.

Can't say I was impressed - not much character. :santa3:

Was there during the last world cup. As others have said, nice enough place but if it wasnt for the fact that your getting it really cheap, I wouldnt bother.

A mate of mine who's spent quite a bit of time in Germany describes Frankfurt as 'Horrible place. Really not my idea of nice, whatsoever'.

He's well into Berlin and Hamburg though, which probably doesn't help you at all.

I have spent time in a few German cities, and Frankfurt is my least favourite. It is the financial hub and as such caters for the 'city boys'. Lot's of yuppy/trendy style bars, but no real character.

Not a patch on Berlin, Munich, Dresden, Hamburg.........., but if your deal is very cheap, then it's gotta be worth a try.

:santa2:

Haven't been for a long time but quite liked Frankfurt.

Great riverside setting , Arts & Crafts museum by the river's well worth a visit and the Old Town's an oasis among the glass/steel financial desert.

There's a pilot's best mate who posts on here who might have some maps of the old town. He bombed it 65 yrs ago however much of it's rebuilt in the original stylee, and looks mighty fine.

where about have you seen this deal? been wanting to visit for a while (well not the city as such but a club over there called cocoon), so a 3 night trip for ?92 would be right up my street.

If you are flying to Frankfurt - Hahn airport it is a 100 miles from Frankfurt. (Ryanair trick)

However a 20 minute drive from Hahn takes you to the Mosel Valley, which has stunning scenery, hilltop castles and beautiful German market towns. Well worth the trip.

Nucky Thompson

I went to Frankfurt in 2000 for the World Bowl when the Scottish Claymores were playing Rhine Fire. It was a manky hole and one of the worst cities I've visited in Europe. The only thing good about it was the hospitality the locals gave us because we were playing their biggest rivals.

Guest Pressleyno1
where about have you seen this deal? been wanting to visit for a while (well not the city as such but a club over there called cocoon), so a 3 night trip for ?92 would be right up my street.

Ryanair, and hostelworld

Got to agree with the comments above. I worked there for a few months, and whilst it has a certain charm, there is not a huge amount of touristy stuff to do.

It's Germany's financial capital. I used to do a fair bit of business there. It's boring and expensive. Avoid.

If you are flying to Frankfurt - Hahn airport it is a 100 miles from Frankfurt. (Ryanair trick)

However a 20 minute drive from Hahn takes you to the Mosel Valley, which has stunning scenery, hilltop castles and beautiful German market towns. Well worth the trip.

Agree with that. Plus Koblenz and Trier which are within reasonable distance are worth a stay.

I worked in Frankfurt for a few weeks some years ago.

It is a major financial centre not a tourist attraction . It was virtually obliterated in the war and not much of the old town survives.

My highlights were going to a cider house in Sachsenhausen (the old city).

For all Germany's claim as a beer making country , Frankfurt sits in the middle of a cider producing region ! Good old fashioned German grub , drinking cider , seated at big wooden tables with a lot of strangers.

There is the big bank building (Allianz ?) in the centre - you used to be able to take the lift up to the to top and actually walk on the roof. Very spectacular.

Down by the river it is very pretty and plenty of boat trips available.

As said before it's close to the Moselle and Trier - very popular with the natives and both very nice places to visit.

weisbaden & Mainz are quite close too.

I had a great time when I went to Frankfurt. Stayed in the suburbs, Liederbach near Hochst.

It isn't the nicest of cities, as has been mentioned, but if you know where you want to go then do it.

I stayed in Wiesbaden many years ago and it's not a great place. Honestly.

I'm not sure you're up for hiring a car but forget Koblenz (too far north) and head for Rudesheim (it's where they make Asbach brandy). Try the 'vintage' stuff.

There are vineyards, cable cars , ****ing big Franco - Prussian war memorials and a fab view up the Rhine. Loads of bars and cafes to eat. Nice place. Well worth a trip.

Archived