Parental control lost password....help!

The Old Tolbooth

The Old Tolbooth

The wee yin got a notebook for her birthday a few months ago and Linda (in her wisdom) decided it would be a good idea to click on a parental control icon which came with the pc and was on the desk top.

She then set the password as something easy to remember, and then tried to log on this morning to download music for the bairns MP3 player, and couldn't access hardly any sites so decided to turn the parental control function off.

She was horrified to discover that it wouldn't accept her password and she cant now delete this programme either because you need the password to uninstall. We haven't a clue why it's not accepting the password which was only chosen last night, and it's asking us to answer a question, but there's no question there at all! We now have one attempt left out of three and haven't got a clue what happens should we get the last guess wrong.

There is also a message saying we need to activate the account within 30 days before it expires, which suggests to me that they might want money to run this programme which came with the laptop as an icon on the desk top.

She's currently ripping her hair out in frustration and it's not a pretty sight as I hate bald wimmin (up top anyway!)

Any help would be appreciated, thanks. :smiliz23:

The Old Tolbooth
What is the program called?

It's saying "C:\Program Files\Parental Filter\ConsoleEPCP.exe"

Also it's saying it's called the "Console Parental Filter"

It might be something as simple as being case-sensitive, mate.

Maybe the caps-lock was on when you first entered it and it's been off every time you've tried it since, or vice versa?

Just a thought.

The Old Tolbooth
Try using Firefox. It wont completely solve the problem but it is a quick way around it.

apparently...!

I read that forum too :santa1:

Sexton Hardcastle

Maybe the caps-lock was on when you first entered it and it's been off every time you've tried it since, or vice versa?

Just a thought.

Also if it was american set up it could be that @ = ".

Silly yanks.

The Old Tolbooth
Try a system restore to a date before you installed the programme.

Tried that one mate and it didn't do anything sadly.

Just a thought.

Tried that one too bud, but you made me think for a minute :D

Stick CCleaner on it and use the uninstall option it has.

When I try to uninstall it it's asking for the password to be able to get rid of it, and you only get 3 attempts, if I had any hair left I'd rip it out! :wacko:

Copied and pasted from Tech Forums website......

The following steps will remove any password set in the Content Advisor and allow you to reset the program to its original state.

Click on Start and choose Run.

Type in Regedit and select OK.

Now click on the little plus sign to the left of H_KEY_LOCAL_MACHINE. Navigate down, always clicking on the plus sign at the left of the named key, through Software, Microsoft, Windows, Current Version and Policies.

Now click on the Ratings folder.

In the right pane of the RegEdit window, you'll see an icon called Key. Click on it and press Delete.

Next, choose Registry and then Exit to exit Regedit. You've just deleted your original Content Advisor password.

Restart the computer and run Internet Explorer again.

Choose View and then Internet Options

Click on the Content tab and click on Disable. When asked for a password, don't enter anything; just click on OK. This will disable Content Advisor because there's no longer a password.

If that's not exactly right, I'd imagine you'll be able to delete the password under the HKLM\Software key and finding the vendor, and checking in there?

The Old Tolbooth
Copied and pasted from Tech Forums website......

If that's not exactly right, I'd imagine you'll be able to delete the password under the HKLM\Software key and finding the vendor, and checking in there?

Going to try this as soon as it's stopped doing an update which appears to be taking forever, Linda decided it would be a good idea to shut it down and start it up again :smiliz65:

Marc, a hammer is very much on my mind right now mate :D (for Linda's hied!)

Linda says it didn't look like that mate

Ok, you've probably got version 1. According to the documentation, the uninstaller is password protected. Personally I would zap the program with Revouninstaller (advanced mode) and then reboot - this should get rid of all files associated with the program, include the background service that it sets up. I would ensure that you back up any important data before you do this however as on rare occasions, Revounistaller can delete above and beyond the call of duty.

The other option, if you haven't tweaked too much since buying the machine, would be to do a system restore. Again, all important data should be backed up before doing this.

The Old Tolbooth

After doing the system restore it's become worse, I get a little blue square with a pic of a woman in the middle of it, and it won't now let me access anything else until I put the password in. I can get into the "run" part to try Swannys advice at all, this is driving us bonkers now. If I try and cross the programme off, it simply logs off and we have to start all over again.

Going to try this as soon as it's stopped doing an update which appears to be taking forever, Linda decided it would be a good idea to shut it down and start it up again :smiliz65:

Marc, a hammer is very much on my mind right now mate :D (for Linda's hied!)

She must be driving you up the wall if you want a hammer for Linda's heid! It would definately be better for your PC.

That did make me laugh though. Cheers. I hope you get it sorted.

The Old Tolbooth
Ok, you've probably got version 1. According to the documentation, the uninstaller is password protected. Personally I would zap the program with Revouninstaller (advanced mode) and then reboot - this should get rid of all files associated with the program, include the background service that it sets up. I would ensure that you back up any important data before you do this however as on rare occasions, Revounistaller can delete above and beyond the call of duty.

The other option, if you haven't tweaked too much since buying the machine, would be to do a system restore. Again, all important data should be backed up before doing this.

I'd love to try that mate however it wont let me get past the password page and wont let me do a single thing now, it's weird because at least this morning I could turn it on and get partially into stuff.

Anyone else thinking that the bairn has hacked the computer and changed the password??? :smiliz64::smiliz64:

Ha ha, you could be onto something there Harry! :santa1:

The Old Tolbooth
if you haven't put much stuff on the notebook, how about reinstalling the operating system which should remove it

There isn't much on it at all mate as it's virtually brand new, so that would be an option, although I'm not sure how to do this because there isn't a part for to insert a recovery disk with the thing being so small, how would I go about this?

Don't panic - you should be able to boot into safe mode and disable the relevant service. Just restart the PC and press F8 several times before/as Windows starts (it is pretty sensitive as to when you press it). Then select "Safe Mode" from the list.

Dean Winchester

Boot it up in Safe Mode (just keep tapping F8 once you turn it on). Select Safe Mode then just go in and delete the fecker :)

EDIT: Beaten to it by seconds....

The Old Tolbooth
Don't panic - you should be able to boot into safe mode and disable the relevant service. Just restart the PC and press F8 several times before/as Windows starts (it is pretty sensitive as to when you press it). Then select "Safe Mode" from the list.

Boot it up in Safe Mode (just keep tapping F8 once you turn it on). Select Safe Mode then just go in and delete the fecker :)

EDIT: Beaten to it by seconds....

Erm, oops!

We erm, kinda panicked and I hit the F9 option and started the recovery process :wacko:

Can I stop it or not lol? (apologies for being a numpty)

Erm, oops!

We erm, kinda panicked and I hit the F9 option and started the recovery process :wacko:

Can I stop it or not lol? (apologies for being a numpty)

No, if you have got past the initial confirmation stages then just let it carry on.

The Old Tolbooth
No, if you have got past the initial confirmation stages then just let it carry on.

Ok no worries mate, there really wasn't anything on it to lose anyway so it's no biggie.

Thanks to everyone for all their help on this and it just shows that JKB is indeed the fountain of knowledge :2thumbsup:

Marc, your hammer theory may well come into play yet mate ;)

How old is your kid? Above the age of 11 it is pretty likely that they could have just hacked the computer themselve in an act of revenge for your lack of trust!!!

EDIT: Did it work then?

Ok no worries mate, there really wasn't anything on it to lose anyway so it's no biggie.

Thanks to everyone for all their help on this and it just shows that JKB is indeed the fountain of knowledge :2thumbsup:

Let us know how it goes. When your system gets restored, the shortcut to install Parental Filter will probably be present on the desktop again - it would be a good idea to at least delete the shortcut (and ideally uninstall the program, if it is installed, or the setup program) to avoid this happening again. If having a parental filter is important to you then have a look around the web for free alternatives (e.g. setting up WOT with Firefox). The parental filter supplied with your computer is a 6-month trial, after which you have to pay.

Using a hammer on it would be really satisfying but within an hour you'd be regretting it!

So put a hammer through it! You know you want to.

The Old Tolbooth
How old is your kid? Above the age of 11 it is pretty likely that they could have just hacked the computer themselve in an act of revenge for your lack of trust!!!

EDIT: Did it work then?

She's 7 and I wouldn't put it past her!!

John,

Linda's password is "LittleJohn".

Hope this helps.

#

Your not the first to say that mate :santa5:

Let us know how it goes. When your system gets restored, the shortcut to install Parental Filter will probably be present on the desktop again - it would be a good idea to at least delete the shortcut (and ideally uninstall the program, if it is installed, or the setup program) to avoid this happening again. If having a parental filter is important to you then have a look around the web for free alternatives (e.g. setting up WOT with Firefox). The parental filter supplied with your computer is a 6-month trial, after which you have to pay.

Set up all completed now mate, and AVG free version along with MSN Messenger all installed again to keep her happy, oh and the parental control thingy has been kicked into touch, it was the first thing I done! :santa1:

Using a hammer on it would be really satisfying but within an hour you'd be regretting it!

So put a hammer through it! You know you want to.

I was still on about Linda :laugh:

Cheers again everyone, much appreciated :2thumbsup:

Set up all completed now mate, and AVG free version along with MSN Messenger all installed again to keep her happy, oh and the parental control thingy has been kicked into touch, it was the first thing I done! :santa1:

Great. If you do decide to set up a parental filter then either the WOT extension for Firefox/IE (http://www.mywot.com/) or K9 (http://www1.k9webprotection.com/) should do the trick. Both are free.

I think we'll just leave it! we'll i've been told to leave it and not to touch anything ever again:smiliz23:

:santa1: I'd just blame a computer virus if I were you...

portobellojambo1
I think we'll just leave it! we'll i've been told to leave it and not to touch anything ever again:smiliz23:

Are you sure he said you couldn't touch anything again, or did he not just say "don't touch the bairns feckin computer again". :sorcerer:

Are you sure he said you couldn't touch anything again, or did he not just say "don't touch the bairns feckin computer again". :sorcerer:

Think he might have said "don't touch the bairns feckin computer again" but mines is away getting fixed and therefore what am i to do:santa4:

I need to borrow someones and johns is under lock and key!

portobellojambo1
Think he might have said "don't touch the bairns feckin computer again" but mines is away getting fixed and therefore what am i to do:santa4:

Wait til you get this giraffe from your secret santa, you'll want johns kept under lock and key permanently.

The Old Tolbooth
:santa1: I'd just blame a computer virus if I were you...

Linda IS the virus mate! :peepwall:

There's a reason for that luv ;)

Wait til you get this giraffe from your secret santa, you'll want johns kept under lock and key permanently.

:lol:

Can't wait to find out who got me it!

Archived