B.C. or B.C.E......A.D. or C.E. ?

RoaldJensen

Not taking sides on this one just after opinions.

There is a growing tendency among academics to drop the terms B.C. (before Christ) and A.D. (anno domini) which means ' in the year of our Lord' in favour of the terms Before Common Era and Common Era.

This is apparently to avoid offending non christians when referring to dates.

So sensible and sensitive thinking or political correctness gone mad?

Sterling Archer
AC/DC

...or BC and AD

I prefer "A long time ago in a galaxy far far away" or "Last time on...Earth"

I P Knightley

There is a growing tendency among academics to drop the terms B.C. (before Christ) and A.D. (anno domini) which means ' in the year of our Lord' in favour of the terms Before Common Era and Common Era.

I'm FUMING at the very thought of it.

Why did you bring this up just before the baby Jesus's birthday? Don't you know you'll be damned for all time???

Common Era/Before Common Era.

It's got nothing to do with political correctness. How can you say "Our Lord", when he's not?

Christendom, not one of Christian's better ideas imho.

its a big world most off it could not give a hoot about jesus but a common body of scientific knowledge and history is pre classified under the calender the ease of conversion for non Christian society's is clearly beneficial nobody is talking about us using to pacify the muslums

stop reading the daily mail ya bam :santa4::santa4:

oh and merry christmas lol

Commander Harris
Common Era/Before Common Era.

It's got nothing to do with political correctness. How can you say "Our Lord", when he's not?

Christendom, not one of Christian's better ideas imho.

in the same way, I don't worship:

The Moon; monday,

Tiw; Tuesday,

Woden; Wednesday,

Thor, Thursday,

Frigg; Friday,

Saturn; Saturday

nor the Sun; Sunday.

I propose we rename this aspect of our calender days 1 to 7. :)

and then we've got all the pagan/religious months too!

our calender is filled with all manner of pagan religious inferences, why is it only the Christian ones that have been removed?

Common Era and Before Common Era is a way of making scientists all over the world agree on dates.

As you should know by now, different people from all over the world use different calendars.

The Gregorian calendar is in the year 2009.

The Hebrew calendar is in the year 5770.

The Iranian calendar is in the year 1388.

The Islamic calendar is in the year 1429.

Scientists use Common Era to standardise all dates in a secular way.

Job done.

Is this the sort of stuff you discuss at the UKCA just prior to the quiz starting? :santa3:

Is this the sort of stuff you discuss at the UKCA just prior to the quiz starting? :santa3:

Dave you know Im sworn to secrecy about what goes on at the UKCA

Rightly so. :smiliz65:

but I can reveal that the treasurer has disappeared with 40,000 euros and Im assured that it has nothing to do with him being Welsh, a catholic, gay or a tory.

But Im sure one of those factors will provide the answer for most people here.

Personally I think he was just a closet greedy b++++++.........:smiliz23:

Geoff Kilpatrick

Zzzz! It doesn't really matter provided no one is being forced to use BCE/CE instead of BC/AD.

Creepy Lurker

I don't see why people get so annoyed about this kind of thing. It doesn't actually matter.

Given that the calendar that we use is actually a Christian one, though, it seems a bit pointless. What I always wonder with these things is if any non-Christian at all has actually ever been offended by it, or if it was a case of white, middle class liberals deciding what would and wouldn't offend said non-Christians (and, in doing so, exacerbating far more serious societal problems).

In fact, I don't wonder at all. I'm pretty confident that I know the answer.

The Moon; monday,

Tiw; Tuesday,

Woden; Wednesday,

Thor, Thursday,

Frigg; Friday,

Saturn; Saturday

nor the Sun; Sunday.

our calender is filled with all manner of pagan religious inferences, why is it only the Christian ones that have been removed?

Very good point C.H.

I just don't think that it's an issue of offending anyone or not. I couldn't give a stuff about that!

(tbh, I got taught to use BCE and CE at bible college back in 1992. I've used it ever since!)

Commander Harris
Very good point C.H.

I just don't think that it's an issue of offending anyone or not. I couldn't give a stuff about that!

(tbh, I got taught to use BCE and CE at bible college back in 1992. I've used it ever since!)

first time I came across it was at Stirling in 99 and I've just always found it a rather pointless change. It's still the same epoch that it refers to (even if the date is wrong), that of Christ's birth and there's no getting away from that regardless of what people call it!

I didn't realise anybody was offened. Certainly not for the last 1000 or so years anyway. What's changed now? Oh yes, we have all gone soft and touchy feely about, well everything.

Couldn't really give a toss about what is used. Just hope the posh tosh don't get uppy about living within the common era if it does change.

Would there be more people offended by keeping it the same or changing it.

Personally I'm offended if they change it. Can I have some do-gooder crusading on my behalf now please

And while I'm at it whats with all these Santa smiley's on JKB promoting the chritian festival of christmas. I never seen any new smileys for ramadan

The Moon; monday,

Tiw; Tuesday,

Woden; Wednesday,

Thor, Thursday,

Frigg; Friday,

Saturn; Saturday

nor the Sun; Sunday.

I'm with you.

Monday = Moon.

Tuesday = Mars.

Wednesday = Mercury.

Thursday = Jupiter.

Friday = Venus.

Saturday = Saturn.

Sunday = sun.

its not being forced upon anyone and is being done to avoid confusion rather than offence, not that it has stopped some of the more clarksonesque bumping their gums about it.

"i hate PC gone mad"

HMFC and FTH

To be nominally serious and educational for a moment though, the "common era" is dated from the birth of Christ anyway, so it still regards it ?or respects it? as a common date from which to being counting. Why care?

This offence business is a lot of ****e.

I use BC/AD but no skin off my nose if anyone uses BCE/CE. It would have made it much easier and more standard though if they'd just come up with new meanings for BC/AD such as Before Commonera / An Dafter.

Thanks to the JKB PC Police for informing me how I should feel on this subject

How changing/adding to/supplementing or whatever it is they are doing helps avoid confusion, I don't know. Sounds like its creating confusion. If its not broken don't fix it.

Creepy Lurker
Would there be more people offended by keeping it the same or changing it.

Personally I'm offended if they change it. Can I have some do-gooder crusading on my behalf now please

And while I'm at it whats with all these Santa smiley's on JKB promoting the chritian festival of christmas. I never seen any new smileys for ramadan

Thanks to the JKB PC Police for informing me how I should feel on this subject

How changing/adding to/supplementing or whatever it is they are doing helps avoid confusion, I don't know. Sounds like its creating confusion. If its not broken don't fix it.

SHE WAS THE PEOPLE'S PRINCESS.

Archived