Fake Facebook Email

Sterling Archer

Sterling Archer

My gf just received this email that's apparently from Facebook.

"Dear Lisa,

We have detected suspicious activity on your Facebook account and have temporarily suspended your account as a security precaution.

You can regain control of your account by logging into Facebook and following the on-screen instructions.

Please be sure to visit the Facebook Help Center (http://www.facebook.com/help.php) for further information regarding these security issues and let us know if you need assistance.

Thanks,

Facebook Security Team"

It came from the email address ([email protected])

I reckon it's fake as i've been on her page and there's nothing out of place.

Why would someone want access as it's not like there is anything valuable in terms of details.

Anyone had similar experience with this?

Thanks,

Why would someone want access as it's not like there is anything valuable in terms of details.

There could be. Some people put details into emails etc that could be useful to someone trying to scam money.

Also passwords - how many people use the same password for various sites, if you can get someone's email address and password then you can start seeing if they have a paypal account, online bank account, access emails etc.

It's how these guys operate, they extract small pieces of info and use them to get the bigger stuff....not as hard as you might think.

But yeah - it's definitely a fake email.

Sterling Archer

I've had another thought.

What if someone she knows was trying to hack into her account and by incorrectly typing the wrong password more than 3 times it's sent her an email?

Guest juvehearts
If it was from facebook it would surley come from @facebook.com. Not facebookmail.com

yeah that one is bleeting obvious!

not that im a facebook addict or anythin...........:double ****:

Sterling Archer

it would appear it's real actually.

I've just tried to log in for her, made sure it was http://www.facebook.com and not the link included in the email, and sure enough it's saying she needs to re-validate her account.

Pity there's not a contact email address for them so I can find out what the hell it's about.

Sexton Hardcastle

There was some big hoohaa about a privacy update for everyone on facebook. You ahd to decdie who gets to see what etc. Maybe it was just a reminder about that.

i have exactly the same, i cant log into facebook as it is temporarily suspended.

i though it was about me putting abuse up about aiden mcgeedy but looks like its not! Cant re validate it as i tried on my mobile, i have to do it on a pc!

it would appear it's real actually.

I've just tried to log in for her, made sure it was http://www.facebook.com and not the link included in the email, and sure enough it's saying she needs to re-validate her account.

Pity there's not a contact email address for them so I can find out what the hell it's about.

i have exactly the same, i cant log into facebook as it is temporarily suspended.

i though it was about me putting abuse up about aiden mcgeedy but looks like its not! Cant re validate it as i tried on my mobile, i have to do it on a pc!

I got that e-mail today aswell and I couldnt get onto my account until i changed the password

Some ****er hacked my FB account a few weeks back, and sent spam wall posts to loads of people on my friend list. I had the exact same email: it was kosher, as they temporarily suspend your account while they look into it, and take you through the steps of changing your password.

I got this email as well but I dont use facebook much so im not bawhaired.

Buzz - I'd do something about it if I were you. If someone's got hold of your password, that really isn't cool at all: you'll know if there's a problem if you try and log in and it tells you your account has been suspended temporarily.

Buzz - I'd do something about it if I were you. If someone's got hold of your password, that really isn't cool at all: you'll know if there's a problem if you try and log in and it tells you your account has been suspended temporarily.

Good point. Cheers Shaun.

Please take a moment to secure your Facebook account

Recently, there was a security incident on another website unrelated to Facebook. Facebook was not directly affected by the incident, but your Facebook account may be at risk if you were using the same password in both places.

As a precaution, we'll walk you through a few steps to help you secure your account. It will take just a couple of minutes.

First, we'll ask you a couple of security questions to confirm that this is your account. (If we recognize your computer, you'll be able to skip this step.)

When you log in this page appears, so I would guess the email was genuine.

Archived