Blade Runner Director's Cut

jambovambo

A beautiful movie with the finest musical score of all time. Despite the connotations of the title, Memories of Green is one of the most beautiful pieces of music you will ever hear.

The book is good as well, very different to the film but good all the same.

It's one of those films that some people seem to class along side the likes of The Shawshank Redemption etc, when in reality it's ****e. It drags on and on without actually getting anywhere. In fact it's the Sci Fi equivalent of The Deer Hunter - another highly acclaimed snooze fest.

jamboinglasgow
It's one of those films that some people seem to class along side the likes of The Shawshank Redemption etc, when in reality it's ****e. It drags on and on without actually getting anywhere. In fact it's the Sci Fi equivalent of The Deer Hunter - another highly acclaimed snooze fest.

Its one of these thing where no one is wrong, it just depends how you like movies. If you like movies fast-paced, with simple but effective plot then you wont like films like this. But if you like it a bit more arty, gives time to really build itself up then its a perfect movie. In a way, both styles have their critics but both are aimed at different people and shouldn't be passed snobbishly out of hand.

I think while slow paced, it is a fantastic movie. I really like Ridley Scott as a director. I think he creates some amazing films. The fact he was an advertising director really helps his movie have a different feel and look iconic. Black Hawk Down, Gladiator and even Alien are all designed to stand out.

Speak of which, here is the trailer to his latest film, Robin Hood. Looks a very different Robin Hood story. Enough to forget Kevin "why should I change my accent" Costners version. Not that it was awful (loved Morgan Freeman in it) but just feel the Robin Hood story can be done better.

http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi630391833/

A beautiful movie with the finest musical score of all time. Despite the connotations of the title, Memories of Green is one of the most beautiful pieces of music you will ever hear.

The book is good as well, very different to the film but good all the same.

book is better than the film, but its one of these books that can never be properly made into a film

Its one of these thing where no one is wrong, it just depends how you like movies. If you like movies fast-paced, with simple but effective plot then you wont like films like this. But if you like it a bit more arty, gives time to really build itself up then its a perfect movie. In a way, both styles have their critics but both are aimed at different people and shouldn't be passed snobbishly out of hand.

I think while slow paced, it is a fantastic movie. I really like Ridley Scott as a director. I think he creates some amazing films. The fact he was an advertising director really helps his movie have a different feel and look iconic. Black Hawk Down, Gladiator and even Alien are all designed to stand out.

Admittedly i have never seen the directors cut thus I'm basing my opinion around the original, which did needlessly drag out certain scenes. It's not a case of you either you like slow paced or simple fast paced movies (which if truth be told, comes across as a little condescending), it's about how the story flows. I don't mind over stretched movies if the drawn out scenes are a necessity to the actual story being portrayed. For example, I have happily watched Apocalypse Now umpteen times without feeling the need to fall asleep. However, both Blade Runner (the original) and The Deer Hunter suffer badly from the Shaun Lawson effect imo.

321o.jpg

Admittedly i have never seen the directors cut thus I'm basing my opinion around the original, which did needlessly drag out certain scenes.

I think that might explain why you weren't keen on it. The Director's Cut takes out the narration and shifts the focus onto the nature of humanity angle, which is what sets it apart. The original is a sci-fi version of a genre film noir, the Director's Cut is a work of art.

My favourite film of all time.

book is better than the film, but its one of these books that can never be properly made into a film

Thought the book was pretty average to be honest.

The film is far more interesting, stylish and accomplished.

Admittedly i have never seen the directors cut thus I'm basing my opinion around the original, which did needlessly drag out certain scenes. It's not a case of you either you like slow paced or simple fast paced movies (which if truth be told, comes across as a little condescending), it's about how the story flows. I don't mind over stretched movies if the drawn out scenes are a necessity to the actual story being portrayed. For example, I have happily watched Apocalypse Now umpteen times without feeling the need to fall asleep. However, both Blade Runner (the original) and The Deer Hunter suffer badly from the Shaun Lawson effect imo.

Can you clarify what particular scenes you feel are too drawn out? It's not a hugely long film and there's not really scenes that I can think of that have extra padding. I love Apocalypse Now but there is far more drawn out material in there than in Blade Runner.

I would assume watching paint dry for 5 minutes would be tedious, so whether a film last for 2 hours or 5 hours is neither here nor there.

Ok, certain scenes was a bad choice of words, the whole film was drawn out. You get the impression they're trying to get something deep and meaningful across, when in actual fact it has no depth to it whatsoever. An example of which can be seen in Deckard's relationship with Rachael. I can't recall the film ever showing any relationship development between the two. He went from calling her an 'it' to feeling he had to protect her. Yet they somehow managed to drag that out too without showing us anything useful.

The first chase scene was dragged out, the climax of which was laughable. The old cat and mouse routine - so what, seen it 1000's times before.

The whole meaning of life thing at the end was poorly executed too.

All this is also ignoring the fact some of the acting in the film is terrible.

The only saving grace is the score and cinematography . Those I can appreciate.

Tbh, i could go on all night, but don't have the desire to pick out everything that sucked.

I would assume watching paint dry for 5 minutes would be tedious, so whether a film last for 2 hours or 5 hours is neither here nor there.

Ok, certain scenes was a bad choice of words, the whole film was drawn out. You get the impression they're trying to get something deep and meaningful across, when in actual fact it has no depth to it whatsoever. An example of which can be seen in Deckard's relationship with Rachael. I can't recall the film ever showing any relationship development between the two. He went from calling her an 'it' to feeling he had to protect her. Yet they somehow managed to drag that out too without showing us anything useful.

The first chase scene was dragged out, the climax of which was laughable. The old cat and mouse routine - so what, seen it 1000's times before. That's also ignoring the fact some of the acting in the film is terrible.

The whole meaning of life thing at the end was poorly executed too.

The only saving grace is the score and cinematography . Those I can appreciate.

Tbh, i could go on all night, but don't have the desire to pick out everything that sucked.

I think you should watch the Directors Cut or the Final Cut again.

The relationship between Deckard and Rachel is pivotal to the entire film. You say it lacks depth so I can only assume that you've missed the point of his feelings towards her. The "is he / isn't he" debate has been discussed on here many times and is at the heart of the film and his relationship with Rachel is one of the main vehicles for this.

Nothing about Blade Runner lacks depth mate. It's as close to another world as you can get in film and it was executed with stunning precision and beauty. The colossal depth of detail and thought behind practically every facet of the film, settings, costumes, cars, vehicles, props, special effects, fashions etc is part of what make the film so well executed.

Archived