Ice Hockey -- not a TV sport ?

CJGJ

Why is this shown on TV ? -- you can hardly see the puck when you watch it live but on TV all you see are a bunch of men charging about chasing what looks like a mouse on ice.

Why are so many around parts of the world interested in watching it when you cannot even view it properly. :smiliz65:

There's a puck??

I thought the idea was to skate around bumping into people until you goad them into a pagger.

I do love hockey but not the diluted british slo-mo version.

I love watching golf on the telly but a lot of it is cloud watching. If I was force to watch a telly sport between Ice Hockey and Horse racing, Ice Hockey any time.

Tish and pish my fine fellow. It is a great TV sport and I can follow the puck quite easily. I'll be doing it in the small wee hours later on watching Vancouver Canucks (hopefully) stuff Washington Capitals (they better after the naff show v Anaheim).

Gareth_Hearts
Whats the ice hockey game by EA sports?

Its pretty ****, you cant see the puck in that either.

NHL series, imo its the most realistic sports game and is pretty good.

NHL series, imo its the most realistic sports game and is pretty good.

Meh, you can fight in it cant you? Decent IMO. Most sports games are atrocious, especially FIFA and PES.

Tish and pish my fine fellow. It is a great TV sport and I can follow the puck quite easily. I'll be doing it in the small wee hours later on watching Vancouver Canucks (hopefully) stuff Washington Capitals (they better after the naff show v Anaheim).

Should be good, Ovechkin has made himself very popular during this visit.

As an aside comment having read a number of posts on the Terrace regarding crowd sizes, and the argument whether only people going through the gates or whether all seats sold regardless whether they attend or not, looking at recent Canuck games it looks like the place is half empty. They still announce every home game as a sell out though. And there is still a waiting list for season tickets.

I have no problem following it on television, though it is vastly superior in person. High definition and 16:9 aspect ratios have helped a lot in recent years. I'm from Minnesota, however. Hockey is in my DNA.

It's the main reason why I have failed to get into hockey despite having an active interest in just about every other big american sport (except NASCAR).

On a different topic, I watched a great ball game between the Knicks and the Clippers earlier tonight. The Clippers hammered the Knicks early on and led as many as 18 in the first half and went into the break with a 14 point lead. Twelve minutes of play later and the Knicks had tied it up thanks to a storming 3rd quarter and they went on to win it despite a late scare in which the Clippers missed a 3-pointer that would have gave them a one point lead with two seconds left.

i love watching hockey on tv. Also I'm one of the sad feckers that buys the latest release of the NHL games (xbox) every year. Probably the only game I can really keep coming back to.

Mind you, I sit really close to my tv which is maybe why I don't have an issue with the puck thing. :santa1:

jack D and coke

I went to a NY Rangers game in november and i can honestly say i've never been as bored at a sporting event in my puff. The only way i could describe what i saw is to say it was a utter stramash and quite how the coach is meant to alter the game tactically i struggle to understand. Players were on and off the ice so often it was impossible to keep track. The game wasn't even 60 seconds old when every player had been replaced. Wasn't a scrap either i was gutted!

alwaysthereinspirit
Why is this shown on TV ? -- you can hardly see the puck when you watch it live but on TV all you see are a bunch of men charging about chasing what looks like a mouse on ice.

Why are so many around parts of the world interested in watching it when you cannot even view it properly. :smiliz65:

I thought the same when I first started watching it. Once you get used to it and understand what they're up to it's a great sport. Live is even better.

I have no problem following it on television, though it is vastly superior in person. High definition and 16:9 aspect ratios have helped a lot in recent years. I'm from Minnesota, however. Hockey is in my DNA.

Bet you wish you were still the North Stars! I've got a cool Retro Russ Courtnall North Stars jersey in my collection...it's mint.

Regarding the OP...I kind of agree with you if you're new to the sport. But once you understand what's going on, you learn to know where the puck should be and it's pretty easy to follow.

For me it's the best sport on the planet.

Good result for Canucks, Ovechkin was pretty quiet.

Very good result. I'm still concerned on the team's over-reliance on Roberto Luongo in goal.

How long after the Capitals boy got slammed into the Canucks bench did you realise that Washington had levelled at 1-1? I was still sniggering until I noticed the scoreboard change.

Very good result. I'm still concerned on the team's over-reliance on Roberto Luongo in goal.

How long after the Capitals boy got slammed into the Canucks bench did you realise that Washington had levelled at 1-1? I was still sniggering until I noticed the scoreboard change.

Yeah the goals were not all a thing of beauty. Kesslers was something the guy kicks in to his own net. I didn't realise they had scored after the bench hit, I wondered why he was going along the bench doing high fives. Luongo is something else, but he does let in some bad goals. Did you happen to notice all the empty seats.

alwaysthereinspirit

Watching the Bruins - Toronto right now. Most definetely a sport.

The winter classic this New Years Day from Fenway will be pretty good TV.

I went to a NY Rangers game in november and i can honestly say i've never been as bored at a sporting event in my puff. The only way i could describe what i saw is to say it was a utter stramash and quite how the coach is meant to alter the game tactically i struggle to understand. Players were on and off the ice so often it was impossible to keep track. The game wasn't even 60 seconds old when every player had been replaced. Wasn't a scrap either i was gutted!

Give it a bit more of a chance. Defensemen in hockey, like the back four in football, don't expend as much energy as other players, so they generally work in pairs and don't change as often as the forward line. To make sure you have chemistry and understanding amongst your attacking players, forward lines are generally kept together as well (left winger, center, right winger).

So yes, players are coming on and off the ice, but what you're really seeing are different forward lines and defensive partnerships changing in and out. Most teams have a first scoring forward line consisting of two or sometimes even three of their best attacking players, a second scoring forward line and often a checking forward line (the ugly guys you use to bust up play).

Then things can get jumbled up a bit when teams are up a man (power play unit) and you'll often see perhaps a winger filling in at one of the two defenseman's spots, or when teams are down a man (penalty killing unit) with probably your two best defensemen and two forwards who have huge motors and can skate their arses off for two straight minutes.

Once you get a little familiar with the game, and especially a favorite team, it becomes much easier because you know who is on each line and in each defensive partnership, so you've only got to know the situation and pick out one defenseman and one forward to know who is on the ice at a given time.

Bet you wish you were still the North Stars! I've got a cool Retro Russ Courtnall North Stars jersey in my collection...it's mint.

Regarding the OP...I kind of agree with you if you're new to the sport. But once you understand what's going on, you learn to know where the puck should be and it's pretty easy to follow.

For me it's the best sport on the planet.

Losing the North Stars to Dallas via having an MK Dons pulled on us hurt, but I love the Wild. We've sold out every single home game since the team was founded in 2000 and we're still selling out every home game even now with one of the worst records in the league. Truly the team of 18,000! Plus, the Xcel Energy Center was ranked as the second best sports venue in the States by ESPN last season and took the top ranking in 2009. It's an incredible place to watch a game.

Losing the North Stars to Dallas via having an MK Dons pulled on us hurt, but I love the Wild. We've sold out every single home game since the team was founded in 2000 and we're still selling out every home game even now with one of the worst records in the league. Truly the team of 18,000! Plus, the Xcel Energy Center was ranked as the second best sports venue in the States by ESPN last season and took the top ranking in 2009. It's an incredible place to watch a game.

I love to go to more NHL games. I went to two Habs games and two in Ottawa a few years ago on a self indulgent hockey holiday. The Bell Centre was pretty cool (particularly against the Leafs). Ottawa's rink was fecking miles out of town and the buses to get there were terrible.

Agree, it's a terrible sport, and impossible to follow on TV. I've tried, honestly I've tried, but it's pants I'm afraid.

Archived