Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester

Anyone been to see this yet? I was a bit skeptical about it once the trailers started appearing fot it but I can safely say I was completely wrong in my skepticism.

I don't think I have ever enjoyed a movie at the cinema as much as I did with Avatar. The 3D effects are great but not in the gimmicky way I half expected it to be when I walked in - it was the first Real3D movie I had seen. The story isn't very original (think Pocahontas, Dances with Wolves, Fern Gully) but the acting, effects and action are simply brilliant. In the 12 years since Titanic, Cameron certainly hasn't lost any of his talent.

I highly recommend everyone to go see this (especially in 3D).

Say What Again

Was meant to go see it in 3D on Wednesday night but had to swap shifts.

Looking forward to seeing it.

Anyone been to see this yet? I was a bit skeptical about it once the trailers started appearing fot it but I can safely say I was completely wrong in my skepticism.

I don't think I have ever enjoyed a movie at the cinema as much as I did with Avatar. The 3D effects are great but not in the gimmicky way I half expected it to be when I walked in - it was the first Real3D movie I had seen. The story isn't very original (think Pocahontas, Dances with Wolves, Fern Gully) but the acting, effects and action are simply brilliant. In the 12 years since Titanic, Cameron certainly hasn't lost any of his talent.

I highly recommend everyone to go see this (especially in 3D).

Titanic is a monstrous pile of guff!!

Anyway, im off to see it tomorrow afternoon. Looking fwd to it. Couple of mates saw it last night and said it was really good.

Seen it in 3d yesterday...visually stunning. Have to admit I wasn't too sure what to expect, but it is a really good film besides all the visuals. Yes, it gets a bit predictable and follows a bit of a worn line (anti industrialisation, save the planet etc)....but still very good.

is it scary for kids? what certificate is it? I really fancy it and was thinking of taking the bairns, but may just go myself if not suitable for bairns?

Make sure you see it in 3D, IMAX is even better. Then well worth the price of admission. The story is crap, but you're not there for the story.

It's funny, the movie is all, "Corporations bad!" and "Nature good!" but the film itself only has value as a cutting edge, state of the art technological first. No one ever accused Cameron of being the brightest film maker...

(the James Cameron film, not your little image :) )

Saw Avatar last night and I was absolutely blown away.

Get along and see this. The 3D in this film is excellent. I've seen a 3D film before this but the 3D in this was much better than what i've seen before.

Only thing that could stop people liking it is the length (3+ hours) but I didn't mind that.

Anyone else seen it?

Commander Harris

it's excellent as a visual experience, I really haven't seen anything like it and the cgi is incredible. Quite possibly a benchmark film in those terms.

As a film as a whole it has its faults, a few of the characters are a bit 2-Dimensional (no pun intended) and some of the dialogue is pretty crappy to say the least but as a pop corn flick it's pretty darn good.

It's a tad on the long side but you don't notice that too much except in a couple of slow parts.

all in all, pretty good. :)

It doesn't look like something I would enjoy but you look at James Camerons other films such as Aliens, T2, True Lies and the excellent Abyss and you just know it'll be great. Will be going to see this and Sherlock Holmes soon.

Dean Winchester
is it scary for kids? what certificate is it? I really fancy it and was thinking of taking the bairns, but may just go myself if not suitable for bairns?

I wouldn't say it's scary for kids. May be a little bit long though. I think it's a 12A.

jaw dropping to watch, excellent film, with a few minor flaws ie plot holes and limited character development, but on the whole great. loosely relevant to the climate deal in copenhagen in that it portrays the message of looking after mother earth for our own benefit. release was well timed.

Generic Username
jaw dropping to watch, excellent film, with a few minor flaws ie plot holes and limited character development, but on the whole great. loosely relevant to the climate deal in copenhagen in that it portrays the message of looking after mother earth for our own benefit. release was well timed.

Loosely relevant?

You must be thicker than a dogs turd on a winters morning to not have understood that film was James Cameron hammering the whole climate change nonsense into your head for 2 and a half hours.

If you take away all the special effects in that film, replace it with real people in your token film location of New York, it's just another utterly predictable love story.

Boy meets girl.

Girl doesn't like boy.

Boy likes girl.

Girl eventually falls for boy.

Boy does something wrong to girl.

Girl doesn't like boy.

Boy does something to win girl back.

Girl kisses boy.

Film ends.

It's a terrible terrible film. VISUALLY superb in places and you get a lot of 3D action for your money but as a story, as something tangible and engaging, it fails like Stephen Hawkings doing the hurdles.

There's a bit in Family Guy where Stewie mocks Brian about his book and what it'll contain, listing off all these generic things that always happen in films - everything listed in that happens in Avatar.

Loosely relevant?

You must be thicker than a dogs turd on a winters morning to not have understood that film was James Cameron hammering the whole climate change nonsense into your head for 2 and a half hours.

If you take away all the special effects in that film, replace it with real people in your token film location of New York, it's just another utterly predictable love story.

Boy meets girl.

Girl doesn't like boy.

Boy likes girl.

Girl eventually falls for boy.

Boy does something wrong to girl.

Girl doesn't like boy.

Boy does something to win girl back.

Girl kisses boy.

Film ends.

It's a terrible terrible film. VISUALLY superb in places and you get a lot of 3D action for your money but as a story, as something tangible and engaging, it fails like Stephen Hawkings doing the hurdles.

There's a bit in Family Guy where Stewie mocks Brian about his book and what it'll contain, listing off all these generic things that always happen in films - everything listed in that happens in Avatar.

so you dont like the film, we all get that now. think you have broken it down to suit your own prejudices against it. well done for that. as for me being as thick as a turd, then your probably right, but not for me stating what i did regarding the climate change theme. if anything the more prominent theme is how the economy and the mighty buck always comes first. anyway i await your biting retort that shoots me down in flames. come on, you know you want to.:sleep1:

I thought it was boring self indulgent crap from Cameron.The effects are great but everything else was really just crap for me.I thought it was far too long and come the time of the last battle i couldnt give a toss if they all got killed as i had no feelings for any of the characters.The last fight is also just a rehash of Aliens (which is still Cameron's best film ) but with a different outcome.

I thought it was boring self indulgent crap from Cameron.The effects are great but everything else was really just crap for me.I thought it was far too long and come the time of the last battle i couldnt give a toss if they all got killed as i had no feelings for any of the characters.The last fight is also just a rehash of Aliens (which is still Cameron's best film ) but with a different outcome.

I completly agree, the best thing about the film was the alien planet. As a film it was rubbish. As a tech demo it was amazing.

Saw it at the Glasgow IMAX last night, I feel the 3d glasses darkened the image. I saw star trek at the IMAX and found it a better viewing experience than Avatar.

3d is still a tacked on gimmick in my eyes, come back to me when they lose the glasses.

Archived