Darts

The Rev

Right, I need the masses of JKB to help settle an argument.

I'm of the opinion that Darts is one of the hardest sports in the world to play. The amount of skill required to play the game is incredible.

However It is being argued that sports such as football and rugby are more dificult to play from a personal point of view because it requires more than just one skill.

So, Is Darts a more difficult sport to participate in that football or rugby?

Over to you.

Frankenstein Jambo.

I'm of the opinion that Darts is one of the hardest sports in the world to play. The amount of skill required to play the game is incredible.

However It is being argued that sports such as football and rugby are more dificult to play from a personal point of view because it requires more than just one skill.

Over to you.

Diffrent things all together. Football and rugby are sports and darts is a game. They can not be compared together as they all use different qualities.

Diffrent things all together. Football and rugby are sports and darts is a game. They can not be compared together as they all use different qualities.

Would pretty much agree with that.

If you want to compare 2 games, how about darts and snooker?

Guest juvehearts

darts is a game.

should be classed as a sport.

but the world series of baseball can be played in the usa, then that sums up the argument huh.

how can baseball be a sport when youre hitting a ball off a bat & then not playing it outwith a country.

when darts gets played all oor the world.

jambojackbilly
darts is a game.

should be classed as a sport.

but the world series of baseball can be played in the usa, then that sums up the argument huh.

how can baseball be a sport when youre hitting a ball off a bat & then not playing it outwith a country.

when darts gets played all oor the world.

They play baseball in Canada, South America and Japan

I prefer cricket :smiliz64:

Guest juvehearts
They play baseball in Canada, South America and Japan

I prefer cricket :smiliz64:

Not MLB tho, how can it be a world series then?

rounders is more of a sport

jambojackbilly

I hit 180 many moons ago, was chuffed as i only played darts on the odd occasion in the pub

Canny be that hard

Like many sports repetition and stamina

Ok, I'll reword it.

Is it harder to be good at darts or harder to be good at football or rugby?

Ok, I'll reword it.

How long is a piece of string? What does "good" mean?

its harder to play Football / Rugby

more physical and more technique required

Darts just takes hours and hours of practice every day

How long is a piece of string? What does "good" mean?

Is it harder to be Phil Taylor or Lionel Messi?

Ok, I'll reword it.

If your definition of "good" is to become one of the best players of that sport/game (e.g. to get into the top 1000), then the measure of how hard it is to be good depends solely on the number of people playing the sport/game at any level. The more people playing, the harder it is to be "good" in that particular sport/game.

Is it harder to be Phil Taylor or Lionel Messi?

Messi. Because football is the game of the people, and global in a way darts isn't. Taylor's still an absolute genius though, yet gets continually overlooked by award shows for some reason.

Messi. Because football is the game of the people, and global in a way darts isn't. Taylor's still an absolute genius though, yet gets continually overlooked by award shows for some reason.

In what way does that make it harder to be a Messi?

In what way does that make it harder to be a Messi?

Because to get to the top, you have to be better than all your mates, better than all your teammates at kids level, better than them all at youth level, able to adapt to another culture, to develop physically and without serious injury en route; and somehow end up better than all other footballers on the entire planet.

The odds against that must be close to billions to one. The odds against someone becoming as proficient at darts as Phil Taylor are fiendishly long - but not as long as that.

Because to get to the top, you have to be better than all your mates, better than all your teammates at kids level, better than them all at youth level, able to adapt to another culture, to develop physically and without serious injury en route; and somehow end up better than all other footballers on the entire planet.

The odds against that must be close to billions to one. The odds against someone becoming as proficient at darts as Phil Taylor are fiendishly long - but not as long as that.

So you agree that being "good" is relative, not absolute, because you're being compared against those that are "worse". In which case it is purely because there are an estimated 240 million actively playing football worldwide, rather than the lower number playing darts (I have no idea of the figure though), that makes it more difficult to be a Messi?

Most could become very good at darts through practice. Just need a good eye and arm and hours and hours of practice.

Football has so many more things needed, strengh, stamina, ability, heart, teamwork.

I reckon if I wanted starting tommorow, I could work my way onto the darts circuit...could i make a pro football team, not a chance in hell.

Not MLB tho, how can it be a world series then?

rounders is more of a sport

And what country do the Toronto Bluejays come from?

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic
And what country do the Toronto Bluejays come from?

:santa1:

Beat me to it. Two-time World Series champs and mainstay of the USA - Toronto Bluejays.

Miller Jambo 60

Over to you.

Its certainly hard on the wallet and liver, all those pints.

Joke aside, i would say it is a skill, achieved by practice.

Like golf singles, it is not a team sport so you only have yourself to blame on a bad day.

Not a game for Larry eh.

Not as hard in a physical sense, but a mental one yes.

To be fair I don't think Taylor and Messi are a fair comparison.. should be comparing Taylor with Pele/Maradona etc

Most could become very good at darts through practice. Just need a good eye and arm and hours and hours of practice.

Football has so many more things needed, strengh, stamina, ability, heart, teamwork.

I reckon if I wanted starting tommorow, I could work my way onto the darts circuit...could i make a pro football team, not a chance in hell.

There was someone on a darts forum who saved enough money to quit his job and become a full time darts player... no idea how he got on though

There was someone on a darts forum who saved enough money to quit his job and become a full time darts player... no idea how he got on though

Would be interesting to find out. I'm not saying that anyone could be a genuine top player, but a decent enough player...provided the hours were put in.

Taylor's still an absolute genius though, yet gets continually overlooked by award shows for some reason.

maybe something to do with his conviction me thinks?

I would say being good at darts requires far fewer abilities than football: accurate throwing (always the same weight, target and distance), usually aiming for the 20, and arithmetic.

To be a good footballer you need quite a few of the following: to be able to run fast, to have peripheral vision, to have physical strength (especially upper body strength), to be able to control a ball with any part of the body, to be able to pass (controlling weight and accuracy, varying every time except penalties, often having very little time to think about it), to be able to adapt to team tactics, to have the discipline to retain physical fitness for 15+ years.

I think that football, being a more "general" sport, makes greater allowance for

not having all of this. There's an all-or-nothing aspect about darts that makes it more difficult.

Archived