Techie help (Hearts website related)

bill duff

Just got an iMac and can't see any highlights or get commentary. Something about a DRM something.

Any ideas? Or has anybody else got a Mac and have the same problem?

Cheers

:santa5:

I'm sure some of the overseas posters have said there is a problem with mac's

maybe dexter or uly could help.

You are stuffed by the penny-pinching software engineers.

Mac won't run Hearts World videos at all, apart from the free ones they put up. This is their attempt at stopping illegal copying - basically they have blocked all platforms except Microsoft, so they can put the charging codes through just the one application. BBC still manages to grant access to Macs for its iPlayer, but that is free to view.

I got a refund from the company that runs Hearts World when they said that there was absolutely no way right now of gaining access for Macs, and no plans to make the change. (My geeky, techie brother-in-law inists its a simple change to make, but the argument is about opening up to other platforms and risking folk hackign in and gettign free viewings.)

Well there IS a long-winded way to do it!

You can get a Windows emulator like VMWare or Parallels and then install a version of Windows, and of course an antivirus program, and also an anti-spamware program, and a firewall, then use that rather insecure program Internet Explorer there.

Alternately, you can do what I do and save the money you might have spent on Hearts World!

I too gave up paying for Hearts World when I couldn't access content via my Mac. Their loss if they want to turn away customers.

I use a Mac and have no problem with the content on Hearts World. Have you tried downloading Flip4Mac?

That should do the job

portobellojambo1
Tried that Scott. Had an Apple guy on the blower, downloaded FlipMac and it still wouldn't work

Flip4Mac doesn't support content that is protected by Windows Media digital rights management (DRM).

What pj1 said. It's silly not having ANY intention of tweaking the software to assist Mac users.

Surely enough of us have asked about this in the past for HW and the providers to get the message?

I used to get hassle free access to Hearts World with my iMac. Half way thru last season that changed so I cancelled and make do with BBC. It's just not the same as listening to Gary Mackay's commentary.

However, "once you go Mac you never go back". I wouldn't touch Microsoft with a barge pole nowadays.

Likewise - I do use VMWare Fusion as I have to use Visio sometimes, but every time I go on to Windows now it seems so damned unintuitive and clunky by comparison.

I gave up on Hearts World there though as it just seemed more money for little benefit. It works, and works perfectly technically (in fact I think Windows works better and faster in VMWare than on a Windows PC, but that is another issue altogether).

But I always feel happier getting back to using the Mac stuff - Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, Safari, iMovie and iPhoto on my iMac leave all Windows stuff dead in its tracks.

The Hearts site is a joke. They are still advertising that you get the complete Match Live console when you subscribe.

I emailed them about this 3 months ago to ask where the console link had gone, and they said that you don't get it anymore. I mentioned that they are still advertising it on the sign up page, and they said they would remove it. 3 months later, it is still there.

Is there not laws to stop them advertising a service that they do not provide?

Archived