Time to bring in Foreign referees

Swanny17

Quite simply, Heinrich Dallas and Gordon Goebbels & Co would never allow it because:

First, they'd have to admit they're not perfect!

Second, anything that levels out the playing field would be anti-OF and therefore, sadly, it will never, ever happen.

Say What Again

The media would hound Johnny Foreigner out as soon as a highly debatable penalty wasn't awarded to the uglies.

Marmeladent?rtchen

Going pipe in with my standard answer; Referees are people. People are fallible and make mistakes. Technology is available to assist them. Why not use it?

Casba said we need full time Refs this week. I think the money would be better spent on Technology. I don?t know how much a Ref would get paid, I assume it would command a good wage seeing as you are only one bad decision from the axe.

Full time, part time, foreign or not, is not important as they all will, by virtue of being human, make mistakes.

In short I have no problem with foreign refs, but I don?t think this is will fix the problem.

Santa smiles are back :santa1:

Scottish refs got a pay RISE to ?800 a game at a time when the standard has dropped - a good gig if you can get it. I believe that the deal will eventually bring them up to ?1k per match in the future.

And they want to strike because some SPL managers are questioning their integrity!!

Let them strike and bring in English refs. At ?800 a game I'm sure we could get some semi decent whistlers from England up here.

Going pipe in with my standard answer; Referees are people. People are fallible and make mistakes. Technology is available to assist them. Why not use it?

Casba said we need full time Refs this week. I think the money would be better spent on Technology. I don?t know how much a Ref would get paid, I assume it would command a good wage seeing as you are only one bad decision from the axe.

Full time, part time, foreign or not, is not important as they all will, by virtue of being human, make mistakes.

In short I have no problem with foreign refs, but I don?t think this is will fix the problem.

Santa smiles are back :santa1:

I think fulltime refs is the way forward. If this includes foreign refs then all the better. I don't think going 100% foreign is necessary at the moment, but try to bring in one or two and see how they get on. Basically, if the refs are pro, the training they receive can be more intensive, they'll be fitter and their eye will be more 'in' as they are spending so much more time on football. I think less of a factor, but relevant nonetheless, is that their livelihood also depends on their performance. The SFA have money - their profit was pretty good last year. It would improve our game massively.

As for the technology. I'm not against goal-line technology or using retrospective footage to even out bookings and sendings off (for appealing those given for reds and yellows, handing out reds for off-the-ball stuff and yellows for diving). I wouldn't want to take the technology too much further. What would you suggest, over and above this, Marmo? (if i may call you Marmo?!)

A mate of mine (one of the few good Celtic fans (follows Scotland and is unbelievably non-paranoid!) once said: "Fitba is for talking about in the pub wi yer mates. If you take all the talking points out of it, what will we talk about?"

Hearts fans have been banging this drum since the Robbo incident in the 96 league cup final. Refereeeing 'standards' have plummeted since then . It aint ever going to happen.

Weak reffing , incompetent reffing , even bias reffing. So long as the OF aren't on the receiving end (as if) , things will never improve.

I wrote to the SFA suggesting this about 20 years ago (when I was young and a bit gullible).

Didn't receive any sort of reply, and soon worked out that they didn't want change as its suits them the way it is.

Tossers.

We already have foreign refs but they don't get many games. The GFA think a foreign ref is someone from outside the Glasgow area.

It is worth noting that Sunday's ref is W Collum from..... yes, Glasgow. Is he coming through in their team bus?

Archived