Will the SPG be brought to task at last?

davemclaren

jambojackbilly

I remember it being in the news like that one Liddle towers, was to young to take on board what it was all about

Interesting to see what comes of all this

Blair Peach and Liddle Towers were different circumstances, the same result.

From what I can remember Blair Peach was a teacher and upstanding member of society. Liddle Towers wasn't.

Of course we did get a fine tune out of L T and thats were I get most of my info from about L T, but then there's artistic licence in a song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0yThGcmRys

I remember this case well. Odd that they are re-opening it after 30 years. :hat2:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/8412741.stm

I think I am right in saying that one of the recommendations of the original report was that the SPG were disbanded, although that wasnt done until after the Inner city riots of the early 80's.

The Met also paid out of court to Blair Peach's family AND, in their own report, recommended that several officers be charged over his murder. That was never done of course, due probably to the influence of the highly pro police government of the day (Thatcher) and its influence over the legal/justice system rather than the guilt or otherwise of the officers concerned. Thatcher had narrowly averted a police strike by giving them two massive pay rises in her first year in power and she wasnt about to p\ss them off with a miners strike and all sorts of industrial and civil unrest on the horizon.

I think I am right in saying that one of the recommendations of the original report was that the SPG were disbanded, although that wasnt done until after the Inner city riots of the early 80's.

The Met also paid out of court to Blair Peach's family AND, in their own report, recommended that several officers be charged over his murder. That was never done of course, due probably to the influence of the highly pro police government of the day (Thatcher) and its influence over the legal/justice system rather than the guilt or otherwise of the officers concerned. Thatcher had narrowly averted a police strike by giving them two massive pay rises in her first year in power and she wasnt about to p\ss them off with a miners strike and all sorts of industrial and civil unrest on the horizon.

I do remember a few of my contemporaries joining the police in the early 80s due to the increased salary.

Archived