Sports Personality of the Year

neilr61

On now on bbc 1. surely a better nights viewing than x factor?!

Who does everyone think will win it? Ryan Giggs for me. Truely outstanding contribution to football. Too play at the highest level for so long is some achievement!

England cricket team - Team of the year!!! WTF!!! Disgrace.

I agree. Team of the year in British sport? Hard to say, but never the cricketers, who are only a mid-table side. The Irish Grand Slam winners perhaps; but then, that's not British sport exactly. Manchester United I guess.

As for the main award: I assume Button will win, but Giggs could sneak in there. His odds have tumbled in recent weeks.

Marmeladent?rtchen
I agree. Team of the year in British sport? Hard to say, but never the cricketers, who are only a mid-table side. The Irish Grand Slam winners perhaps; but then, that's not British sport exactly. Manchester United I guess.

As for the main award: I assume Button will win, but Giggs could sneak in there. His odds have tumbled in recent weeks.

For me it would be brawn team,,, they were out of jobs this year, Had to make alot of people redundent, but won the F1 world championship on a budget!

For me it would be brawn team,,, they were out of jobs this year, Had to make alot of people redundent, but won the F1 world championship on a budget!

Fair point - but F1 teams are never gonna win this sort of award to be honest. Capello as Coach of the Year is dubious as well: he probably deserves to be nominated, but will know himself he's not achieved anything with England yet. Although he'd never have won, I think my vote would've gone to Roy Hodgson.

They've got the lifetime achievement award right though. C'mon Seve: keep fighting mate!

Marmeladent?rtchen
Fair point - but F1 teams are never gonna win this sort of award to be honest. Capello as Coach of the Year is dubious as well: he probably deserves to be nominated, but will know himself he's not achieved anything with England yet. Although he'd never have won, I think my vote would've gone to Roy Hodgson.

They've got the lifetime achievement award right though. C'mon Seve: keep fighting mate!

I thought Capello was fair shout, I think its Engerlands best ever qualifying so hes got that.

I cant think of anyone else for manager of the year. Ross Brawn for taking Honda team on form nothing to world champions!!

Ryan Giggs deserves it, 20 odd years at the top of English Football.

you'd never see him going off with 5 minutes left leaving his team-mates in the ****!

Bryan's won it.

Good lad.

He said he's played for the greatest manager ever. HAs he played for Uganda?

He maybe meant is going to play, shock signing next month??

A brilliant decision. I don't think F1 excites the public in the way it once did (largely because it was ITVd); whereas Giggs has been an incredible ambassador for his sport for 15 years and more, and is still going strong for one of the best sides in the world. I'm delighted for him. :2thumbsup:

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

God, when is this Giggs love in going to end?

A fantastic player in his day but he has the personality of Sir Alex Ferguson's chewing gum.

A fantastic player in his day but he has the personality of Sir Alex Ferguson's chewing gum.

So you wouldn't want Hearts players to have his attitude and longevity at top level; and would instead want them to shag anything that moved and end up wasting their talent and retiring at 30, just so you could call them a 'personality'?

Marmeladent?rtchen
A brilliant decision. I don't think F1 excites the public in the way it once did (largely because it was ITVd); whereas Giggs has been an incredible ambassador for his sport for 15 years and more, and is still going strong for one of the best sides in the world. I'm delighted for him. :2thumbsup:

I'm happy for him, but I think Giggs could of won that award for the last 5 years, not sure why it is this year,,, maybe the big 20 had something to do with it.

Pretty sure a few 100,000 + Man U fans and wales were all on the phones voting for him which gave him the edge.

Dont want take anything away from him,,, Well done.

I'm happy for him, but I think Giggs could of won that award for the last 5 years, not sure why it is this year,,, maybe the big 20 had something to do with it.

Pretty sure a few 100,000 + Man U fans and wales were all on the phones voting for him which game him the edge.

Dont want take anything away from him,,, Well done.

Yes, this is the flaw with these things nowadays. Organised campaigns can skew things. I'm still delighted for him though. :smiley2:

Aye ok then. Deserved to win by a mile this year!

So you wouldn't want Hearts players to have his attitude and longevity at top level; and would instead want them to shag anything that moved and end up wasting their talent and retiring at 30, just so you could call them a 'personality'?

No. What are you going on about?

The competition is sports personality of the year though and that clearly isn't Giggs.

Anyway, not too worried. It's a diddy event anyway!

Aye ok then. Deserved to win by a mile this year!

Haha how exactly?

His 12 starts in the Premiership that led to him getting player of the year?

jamboinglasgow

I am with you, I do think Giggs is a fantastic footballer, but he is not the sports personalty of the year. This and the PFA award are done as people are embarrassed they did not honour him enough ten years ago.

The competition is sports personality of the year though and that clearly isn't Giggs.

It is a diddy event nowadays, I agree. But far, far too many people get hung up on the word 'personality', and seem to expect the winners to tell great jokes and bang hot women as well as being hugely accomplished in their sport. Giggs is a breath of fresh air precisely because he's so grounded and down to earth in an age of wage thieves and footballers taking the ****.

I P Knightley

Fully agree. He deserves a lifetime achievement - the best player of the Premiership ever etc.

It's awards like this that make the event a diddy event.

Haha how exactly?

He was the driving force behind united winning the title last season.

Yes. :2thumbsup:

Say What Again

I am with you, I do think Giggs is a fantastic footballer, but he is not the sports personalty of the year.

Fully agree. He deserves a lifetime achievement - the best player of the Premiership ever etc.

I'm in this camp too. Ryan Giggs is a fantastic footballer, a credit to the sport, but, as Ivan says above, it's a lifetime achievement award he should be getting - he isn't the personality of the year.

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic
A complete fix.. Jenson Button is a WORLD CHAMPION FFS. !!!!!!!:realmad:

Yup, but I can't think of a sport that has fallen further in the public's mind than Formula One. Nobody gives a toss anymore.:curtain:

He was the driving force behind united winning the title last season.

Hahahahaha. You've been brainwashed by Sky Sports, mate.

No one can be called a 'driving force' when they start less than half the games in a campaign. FACT.

I love Giggs btw, one of my favourite ever players. He never deserved to win it though.

I'm not sure if you're trying to be funny or missing the point, feel free to rip me to pieces if I've missed your point but.....

it sounds like your taking this a bit too literally. It's got nowt to do with personality and is based on achievements. If it was a personality contest Ian Holloway would have had coach of the year 10 years running.

But I do agree that Giggs didn't deserve to win based on achievements either.

Out of all the awards handed out I thought only two recipients were deserving.

The 72yr old lady from Milton Keynes who teaches people to swim and Seve Ballesteroes lifetime achievement award.

As for personality(the wrong word. Achievement would be better) do any of the ten candidates have one?

I personally opted for the Ennis lassie.

John

jamboinglasgow
Out of all the awards handed out I thought only two recipients were deserving.

The 72yr old lady from Milton Keynes who teaches people to swim and Seve Ballesteroes lifetime achievement award.

As for personality(the wrong word. Achievement would be better) do any of the ten candidates have one?

I personally opted for the Ennis lassie.

John

To be frank, I think the BBC change the title to BBC sports person of the year. It will clarify what the award is about.

Geoff Kilpatrick

Well done Giggsy! After United were ignored for team of the year last year, it is some compensation.

BBC's Sports personality is reserved for the person for whose actions have most captured the public's imagination.

Well done Giggsy.

Personally I'm still reeling from David Wilkie's two third place finishes, behind both David Steele :detective: !!!!!!!....and John Curry :dramaqueen:

I'm still not sure what I think of Giggs winning the award in a year that he didn't particularly stand out. The biggest mistake of the evening however, imo, was in not giving the Team of the Year to the English *women's* cricket team.

It's an award that was once won by Zara Phillps who looks more like a horse than her horse does.

Come to think of it, her ma won it once too.

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

There should be an award for the most irrelevant award in the world. This would win hands down. It's like debating which letter should have been 'letter of the day' in the Dear Diedre bit in the sun.

I P Knightley
It's an award that was once won by Zara Phillps who looks more like a horse than her horse does.

I will if you won't.

zaraphillips_228x374.jpg

Thought you'd know a bit about horses Bill.:hat2:

The one on the left is a horse..the one on the right is a fox with a tongue stud :2thumbsup:

789450-zara-phillips-with-newport.jpg

Thought you'd know a bit about horses Bill.:hat2:

The one on the left is a horse..the one on the right is a fox with a tongue stud :2thumbsup:

789450-zara-phillips-with-newport.jpg

Do you think it might be possible that evil German fascist dictators are reborn as horses? :stuart:

Archived