Greatest sporting moment of the last decade?

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

What's yours?

A few that come to mind for me:

zidane-headbutt.jpg

michael%20phelps%20with%20eight%20beijing%20olympics%20swimming%20gold%20medals%5B3%5D.jpg

usain_bolt.jpg

greece.jpg

liverpool-2005-gallery.jpg

cup%20final%2004.jpg

It's been a truly outstanding decade for sport. :)

Theres been many good ones mate.

But I must revert to my true love.

Firstly saving Tynecastle as Edinburghs premier sporting arena. (Thank you VR).

Those 1st few months & to a lesser extent, the rest of the 2005/06 season were something quite special.

Far too many happy personal memories (& a few sad ones) to not count it as 'up there.'

this is an easy one for me. it's the one that didn't quite happen. the one that would have ripped up all previously accepted reason in the golf world regarding who can win the biggest tournament in the world.

tom watson - days short of his 60th birthday - coming within an 'up and down in 3' from 8-iron range from the short grass at the 72nd hole at the open. even an 'up and down in 2' from just over the back of the green.

i have never been so crushed at the loss of a sporting dream other than the severe kicks in the baws hearts gave me in the 80s. i ended up wishing he had never challenged for it.

this is an easy one for me. it's the one that didn't quite happen. the one that would have ripped up all previously accepted reason in the golf world regarding who can win the biggest tournament in the world.

tom watson - days short of his 60th birthday - coming within an 'up and down in 3' from 8-iron range from the short grass at the 72nd hole at the open. even an 'up and down in 2' from just over the back of the green.

i have never been so crushed at the loss of a sporting dream other than the severe kicks in the baws hearts gave me in the 80s. i ended up wishing he had never challenged for it.

I'm not even into golf but that was top quality.

Craigyboy, without a doubt those few months were by far the best. An absolutely amazing time to be a Jambo and the thing that keeps you going during these dark days!

Say What Again
What's yours?

zidane-headbutt.jpg

michael%20phelps%20with%20eight%20beijing%20olympics%20swimming%20gold%20medals%5B3%5D.jpg

usain_bolt.jpg

greece.jpg

cup%20final%2004.jpg

You've grabbed all the good ones in the OP! With the exception of Chris Hoys 3 goals, and Steve Redgraves 5 successive gold medals - in fact, in terms of achievement, that gets my vote.

In horse racing, Best Mate's 3 Gold Cups on the bounce gave me a return 3 years on the bounce :2thumbsup:.

this_is_my_story

Goran Ivani?ević winning Wimbledon is right up there for me. You could see how much it meant to him, moments like that in sport are few and far between.

Although it's not really up there with Greece winning in 2004 in terms of it being a victory for the underdog, I loved seeing spain win the Euros last year.

And it might have only been one shot, but Tiger's chip-in at the Masters in 2005 was an amazing spectacle. The difficulty of the shot, the ball just hanging over the lip (Nike logo showing!) and even for once, I enjoyed the OTT yank commentary! Pure drama.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1I55z-x6zc

How could I forget the Nadal - Federer Wimbledon final! One of the greatest ever matches.

Templeton Peck

Sporting moments represent one game or moment in time.......

Barney beating Taylor 6 - 5 at the PDC World Campionships. Nothing beats the tension

Otherwise: Zidanes goal at Hampden. Its got everything.

this_is_my_story
How could I forget the Nadal - Federer Wimbledon final! One of the greatest ever matches.

Great shout. A match and a half, that was.

Felix Lighter
What's yours?

zidane-headbutt.jpg

usain_bolt.jpg

greece.jpg

cup%20final%2004.jpg

Is the 2nd photo Clum showing off his contemporary dance medals?I reckon he's over rated.

Anyway, if Tom Watson had bagged The Open that would have been the winner for me.

Chaka Demus & pliers

For anyone who likes their motogp the battle between Rossi and Lorenzo at Catalunya earlier this year was up there for pure excitement

I'm not someone who gets emotional about anything, especially over sport and more so a sport I don't really follow. But that was crushing. Even still, it was an absolutely increadible achievement by Sir Tom. Just awesome.

Ivanisevic winning Wimbledon with a wildcard is up there too. Jonathon Edwards winning his deserved goal in Sydney up there too. A proper athlete, not some overpaid primadonna footballer.

Templeton Peck
For anyone who likes their motogp the battle between Rossi and Lorenzo at Catalunya earlier this year was up there for pure excitement

Rossi - Gibernau 2004 season

Rossi swore Gibernau would never win another race after reporting him to race officials at Losail. He never did

Rossi - Gibernau 2004 season

Rossi swore Gibernau would never win another race after reporting him to race officials at Losail. He never did

Rossi - Stoner at Laguna Seca was one of the most amazing sessions of racing I have ever seen.

But we have been lucky in the last ten years. We have had people like Armstrong, Bolt, Redgrave, Hoy and more.

Templeton Peck
Rossi - Stoner at Laguna Seca was one of the most amazing sessions of racing I have ever seen.

But we have been lucky in the last ten years. We have had people like Armstrong, Bolt, Redgrave, Hoy and more.

Sady i have no idea who this is and Redgrave just made the 2000's

Sady i have no idea who this is and Redgrave just made the 2000's

You've never heard of Lance Armstrong? A man who won the Tour De France 7 years in a row? A record.

Not the first time I've posted this on JKB, but for me these four minutes on 24 February 2007 were the defining sporting moment of the decade.

Brilliant idea for a thread! In an attempt to avoid club, if not country-related insularity, I shall leave Hearts out of this. Top ten as follows, in reverse order:

10. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PJOn31H5BU&feature=player_embedded

9. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0Gn7-ELkyc

6. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tM-c8GeI1Vc

2. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IWsT3oqhdk&feature=related

1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFdC0Xc6BbU

Bit of a male dominated assortment so far. Kelly Holmes in 2004 was pretty amazing.

Drugs. No career, go away for a year to train and then win everything in sight.

Dodgy.

Drugs. No career, go away for a year to train and then win everything in sight.

Dodgy.

Is this post meant in jest? Because if it's not, it's bollocks. Holmes was up there year after year, had all manner of injuries, and in 2000, somehow won a bronze medal off the back of about six weeks' training! Her talent and application were never in doubt: her luck and arguably self-belief were, because she spent years as Maria Mutola's training partner and in her shadow. In 2003/4, she at last enjoyed an injury free winter; and look what happened.

Baws. There's still one I missed. And especially as the thread asks for greatest moments, well...

Greatest piece of commentary this decade too. :2thumbsup:

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic
Baws. There's still one I missed. And especially as the thread asks for greatest moments, well...

Greatest piece of commentary this decade too. :2thumbsup:

Great shout.

In fact, Steve Harmison's second delivery of the series (the second ball of the whole thing) almost took the batsman's head off (Hayden, maybe) and you just knew this was going to turn into something special. One of the few times a great sporting moment played out and you could just sit back and enjoy the whole thing. That ashes series is one of the finest sporting occasions of all time, not just the past 10 years.

No it doesn't. ;)

Pedant. :mw_tease:

And why do Ireland get two anthems before rugby matches anyway? Unfair! :smiley2:

Go on. Pick one. :smiley2:

Bolt - which is why it's at number one. Trouble is, Bolt has four such moments!

To think that i was worried for weeks.:2thumbsup:

Still the most amazing finish to a game ever.

Hearts Hibs Tynecastle 2nd January 2003.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgxho7oLgpc

Gary Neville feeds the Goat last Maine Road derby match.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=un951V_bz0A&feature=PlayList&p=171639BA7F88A6BB&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=12

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic
To think that i was worried for weeks.:2thumbsup:

Is there footage of that game anywhere on the internet where somebody hasn't slapped music over the top of it? Been looking for years (on and off obviously) and I can't find one that has just the commentary.

Lot of good memories but none,for me at least, touches the 2006 Scottish National Open Swimming Championships held at Tollcross in Glasgow. My daughter won the Open National 100m and 200m Breaststroke.

Captured it on video-what a noise.

Sorry Hearts you can't even come close

When Freddie Flintoff consoled Brett Lee after Lee's desperate battle to win the test for the Aussies.

In itself a great gesture but one which could never have come from the Ausies if the roles had been reversed.

True sportsmanship at the highest level.

Not the first time I've posted this on JKB, but for me these four minutes on 24 February 2007 were the defining sporting moment of the decade.

Not even a poor mans poor mans 1990 Murrayfield IMO :stuart:

Impeccable observation of the English/British anthem - Scots, take note...you don't have to be disrespectful.

Also love the line in the Ireland's Call anthem - "shoulder to shoulder"...and they've usually got Peter Stringer standing between the 2nd rows with his shoulder just about reaching hip-level. :laugh:

Anyway...my greatest sporting moment of the decade?

Orkney 14 - 20 Shetland

2001 rugby inter-county

Geoff Kilpatrick

This.

Although Hibernian 0-4 Heart of Midlothian on 2/4/06 is a close second.

Third for me would be Manchester United reaching 18 titles.

Massa with Ferrari winning the world Championship in 2008 for about 10 seconds,then it all went t!ts up for them.:10900:

Amazing end to the season

loveofthegame

Most of the 'good' ones have been taken, so just throwing something else into the mixer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1jWKvjaUTY

Considering all the recent negative coverage he has had, this major highlighted why he is now the richest sportman in the world. Winning any major by 15 shots is incredible, but to do it on a course as hard as Pebble Beach is mind boggling.

Archived