Door to door salesmen - aka Hawkers

Therapist

Just answered the door at Therapist Towers to find a scruffy cockney sounding chap standing on my doorstep. He flashed his "official hawker" licence at me and asked me if I could spare him a minute or so to examine his goods as "I might need something".

Unfortunately for him he was wearing a sellik bheanie hhat so I immediately told him I wasn't interested in anything and shut the door on him. The bhoy really needs to get his marketing image right or he'll be a hawker for ever.

Tiberius Stinkfinger
Just answered the door at Therapist Towers to find a scruffy cockney sounding chap standing on my doorstep. He flashed his "official hawker" licence at me and asked me if I could spare him a minute or so to examine his goods as "I might need something".

Unfortunately for him he was wearing a sellik bheanie hhat so I immediately told him I wasn't interested in anything and shut the door on him. The bhoy really needs to get his marketing image right or he'll be a hawker for ever.

Did you give the butler the day off then ?

In some places it might work to his advantage. :smiley2: Perhaps he has a variety of beanie hats at the ready and puts on the one he thinks will be most suitable for the house where he's about to knock at the door.

In some places it might work to his advantage. :smiley2: Perhaps he has a variety of beanie hats at the ready and puts on the one he thinks will be most suitable for the house where he's about to knock at the door.

:clover:Therapist towers must look like dharkheid from the outside then. :clover:

Miller Jambo 60

Tic hat eh, better not come to my door.

Cockney as well, thats a strange one.

The People's Chimp

It was the fountain that gave it away, although after a few dinner parties, the neighbours had their suspicions.

2009_0317_fountain.jpg

march-2009-st-patricks-day-at-the-white-house-0091.jpg

Nucky Thompson

It's usually Irish travelers who chap the doors around here. 'I'll cut your tree down for fifty quid' or 'I see the kerb's been lowered outside your gate, do you want a drive built' :hat2:

I'm not far from you Boo. This jhoker could be round your way soon. I suggest you check everything outside your gaff is padlocked down.

Nucky Thompson
I'm not far from you Boo. This jhoker could be round your way soon. I suggest you check everything outside your gaff is padlocked down.
Aye this is the time of year they are staking out houses to rob :hang:

Do you not have the wee enamel to put on the front door, can,t remember the full text, but it was something like No Hawkers, Tinkers, or circulars. Actually for the Towers a nice platinum plate with black diamond lettering would be classy, also if supplied with a reasonable supply of electricity and thim detecting chip would be an outstanding feature on a home such as the Towers.:stuart:

Watch out for these on walls, gates, pavements etc.

Just gone outside to check and I have (from the left) 1, 3 and 4 on the bottom row.

Was he offering some of these?

I don't know. I didn't give him the time to rummage in his mhanky looking holdall. :2thumbsup:

blondejamtart
I don't know. I didn't give him the time to rummage in his mhanky looking holdall. :2thumbsup:

Next time they come calling, one should simply instruct one's manservant to release the hounds!

On a serious note, I would like to see door-to-door selling made illegal. It doesn't really worry me personally - I just tell them to get lost - but I've seen how easy salesmen can prey on and manipulate certain people, senior citizens in particular. I once caught one of the guys in the act just as he was about to get an aged relative to sign on the dotted line for something he didn't need (he didn't know I was through in the kitchen listening to the salesman's deceptive spiel). Your home should be a refuge from these sorts of hassle.

On a serious note, I would like to see door-to-door selling made illegal. It doesn't really worry me personally - I just tell them to get lost - but I've seen how easy salesmen can prey on and manipulate certain people, senior citizens in particular.

Agreed. This bhoy was pretty miffed that I was sending him packing without even looking at his wares. I suspect if it was somebody a tad weaker then me he may have tried to browbeat them into doing something silly.

You should either just slam the door in their face (feels great) or pretend you don't understand and speak in mock Russian. They'll soon feck right off!

It's usually Irish travelers who chap the doors around here. 'I'll cut your tree down for fifty quid' or 'I see the kerb's been lowered outside your gate, do you want a drive built' :hat2:

Then you do what any self-respecting man does. Tell them to **** off and hire some Polish workers primarily for the driveway but also on a "while you're here" basis, getting your gutters painted and no demands for cups of tea. The same can't be said for these ******.

Strange I thought that the Therapist boy was in favour of capitalism ,isnt hawking round the doors a great example of someone pulling up themselves by the bootstraps and living outwith the state so beloved of the great leader Frau Margaret

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

Therapist Towers.

celticrangers.jpg

I remember standing outside Diggers when a junkie tried to sell me a fish that he'd stolen from Lidl.

Sounds like it could be the same bloke, Therapist.

The People's Chimp
I remember standing outside Diggers when a junkie tried to sell me a fish that he'd stolen from Lidl.

Sounds like it could be the same bloke, Therapist.

Did you refuse because it wasn't a friday?

Did you refuse because it wasn't a friday?

If he presented something like this then I would've been interested.

SushiBar____.jpg

Incidentally sushi lovers - I was back in Sushiya in Dalry Road last week. This place just gets better and better. Top sushi experience.

The People's Chimp

I was once told about a couple of Jakeys going down Duke St in Glasgow from pub to pub who were carrying a Grandfather clock on their shoulders, trying to flog it.

:)

Miller Jambo 60
A boy tried to sell me a duvet in Stratties before a match one day.

At the time I thought it was ludicrous, sadly it would be quite appropriate now given the current level of entertainment at Tynie.

A nice kip after a cup of horlicks and a quick ham shank before lights out.

The most negative Hearts post for a while.

True though:smiley2:

Dik Mar Van Nostrilboy

i remember standin outside the newsagents next to the chip shop on gorgie road, oppsoite the playpark- anyway i was about 14 at the time and this absolute scaff rocket offered me a kilt for a 10er, with sporran included, was reekin of pi5h though and he was wearing it at the time, the nick of some folk nowadays eh.

A boy tried to sell me a duvet in Stratties before a match one day.

At the time I thought it was ludicrous, sadly it would be quite appropriate now given the current level of entertainment at Tynie.

A nice kip after a cup of horlicks and a quick ham shank before lights out.

We're talking about while the match is in progress here?

It could certainly catch on. I think I might start with a hot water bottle and a book for tomorrow, though. The old blokes beside me might be a bit annoyed with full-scale pud-pulling from a standing start. Best to break them in gently.

Radioactive Mince

This sounds like the dude who kicks about the pubs in Gorgie alright. Sure it was him who was trying to sell packs of bacon in Stratties one day I saw him. Also, sure he stole my jumper from Robbos in 2005. I've seen him in the Shell at Wester Hailes sticking his arm through the coin drawer, desperately trying to grab the coins which the cashier was counting before going off to get this boy's 20p pack of Transform-A-Snack.

Utter smackhead filth, this ****.

Mince

This type of thing worries me greatly as my mother has alzheimers, lives on her own and is very vulnerable.

So far we've had supposedly reputable companies selling her an alarm system she didn't need, Scottish Hydro reps ripping her off and window cleaners taking the pish - who knows whats next.

Not the full story but as much of a summary as I am willing to give:

The alarm company -

Them: we don't do cold calls, we have contract signed by her.

Me : my mums got alzheimers and is with the telephone preference service - how did you get an invite then?

Them: we'll cancel the contract.

Scottish Hydro were also amusing -

Them : We've changed her electricity and power supply.

Me:why?

Them : Your mum signed up for it.

Me : She has alzheimers - your more expensive.

Them : we have a contract and she can't get out of it

Me : Your salesman left his contact details, can I contact him?

Them : We'll transfer you back to Scottish power then - no fee's.

The window cleaner -

bill for ?80 left at my mums with contact phone no.

Me : it only costs ?6 to get my windows cleaned

Window cleaner : her windows were dirty

Me : They're still dirty, but where did you want the cheque dropped off.

Window cleaner : Address in Newhaven

Me : I'll get the police to drop it off then.

Window cleaner : just forget it mate.

I am worried - one day someone bad might turn up

This type of thing worries me greatly as my mother has alzheimers, lives on her own and is very vulnerable.

I am worried - one day someone bad might turn up

There are some reptiles out there, it's a worry. My Mum still has all her marbles but is as deaf as a post and is a bit scared living alone since my Dad died. I still worry about some of the pondlife that will take advantage of the people I was brought up to respect, ie the older generation.

There are some reptiles out there, it's a worry. My Mum still has all her marbles but is as deaf as a post and is a bit scared living alone since my Dad died. I still worry about some of the pondlife that will take advantage of the people I was brought up to respect, ie the older generation.

Thing that worries me is the "reputable" companies behave like **** but back off when confronted. I can scream down a phone as well as anyone, but what would happen if the real pondlife show up - doesn't bare thinking about tbh

jamboinglasgow
Thing that worries me is the "reputable" companies behave like **** but back off when confronted. I can scream down a phone as well as anyone, but what would happen if the real pondlife show up - doesn't bare thinking about tbh

to be honest, I dont see why there should still be door-to-door salesmen these days. In the old days it was understandable, but with phone calls and the internet it is easier to find what you need.

Obviously the companies like it as they can put pressure salesmen into peoples houses but it is morally wrong to take advantage of vulnerable people like your mother to get contracts like that. I cant see how people like that sleep at night knowing you have tricked a elderly woman who has health problems just so you can get that small bonus that the sale would bring.

Door to door is becoming less relevant. I sense a big old guilt complex though. If your gran is paying too much for her her leccy and a stranger is more concerned than you are because you have a cul de sac to pay for, who is the bad the guy?

Governor Tarkin

The Boo's probably the biggest charlatain in the area. Those pesky hawkers would be taking a chance encroaching on his manor. To be safe however, I suggest wiring the front door knocker up the mains. You can claim any costs incurred back from H.M. Govt' for providing a public service.

Door to door is becoming less relevant. I sense a big old guilt complex though. If your gran is paying too much for her her leccy and a stranger is more concerned than you are because you have a cul de sac to pay for, who is the bad the guy?

The strangers are certainly more concerned about their commission / bonus. From experience they sure aren't concerned about value for money for the customer or the ensuing panic attacks when the bills that were previously paid by direct debit start rolling in.

Try visiting the real world sometime soon.

Who's real world. Selling is all about being able to go back to a customer with another good deal. Rip off merchants don't last. It's amazing the number of people who talk to salesman because they need someone to listen to them. Thought that was friends and family's job in the real world.

Cold calling should be banned.

Some councils have areas where cold calling is banned and Edinburgh has had some trial areas and I'm told the council are thinking of introducing more areas. The trouble is with enforcement. Big genuine companies can sign up to no cold calling zones but for your smaller independent sort of guy, gettting them to accept this is a problem as they don't tend to. However maybe if you write to your elected representatives more pressure can be put on authorities and the police to do something about it.

Can you define what you mean by cold calling? A ban wouldn't work without a definition.

Turning up without an invitation from the householder. Simple.

Not that simple. Are you only referring to commercial concerns, and are you disenfranchising all but one member of the household?

Turning up without an invitation from the householder. Simple.

How about charity workers? Scouts and guides raising funds for their troop? Schoolkids doing sponsored swims/runs?

Not that simple. Are you only referring to commercial concerns, and are you disenfranchising all but one member of the household?

Commercial concerns only. And the invitation would have to come from a resident of the property.

If I realised I was actually drafting the legislation rather than giving a general idea I would have chosen my words more carefully. :peepwall:

Thinking before typing would be fine. Defining commercial would be tricky. I still don't understand why legislation is necessary when every householder is entitled to stay no. I'm fed up with people like you who advocate increasing the nanny state?

Archived