DJ type stuff

Tazio

Quality stuff.

I used to go in for the DMC tournaments. Got to the Scottish Final's twice but would never dream of being at the level these guys are at.

All good fun but you need to practice a hell of a lot and I didn't really have the time.

Just sticking to being resident at the City Cafe every two weeks playing Liquid Drum&Bass (shameless plug) and any other nights that come along.

Playing this Friday and every fornight thereafter if anyone's in the blair street area. Get yourself down to the City Cafe 10pm - 1am

Codenine in the mix !!

Well I must officially be an old git now ! ... that just sounded like a rabble to me... no musical skill whatsoever, unless it's not meant to be musical. Are you supposed to listen to that ? ... dance to it ?.... suppose it's quite interesting watching it.

Well I must officially be an old git now ! ... that just sounded like a rabble to me... no musical skill whatsoever, unless it's not meant to be musical. Are you supposed to listen to that ? ... dance to it ?.... suppose it's quite interesting watching it.

Steve, what you're seeing there is a guy with skill comparable to Jimmy Page playing the guitar of Nigel Kennedy playing the violin.

Seriously.

That's dreadful and laughable. It takes no skill whatsoever to create a set of random sounds. It's the electronic equivalent of jazz.

Quality stuff.

I used to go in for the DMC tournaments. Got to the Scottish Final's twice but would never dream of being at the level these guys are at.

All good fun but you need to practice a hell of a lot and I didn't really have the time.

Just sticking to being resident at the City Cafe every two weeks playing Liquid Drum&Bass (shameless plug) and any other nights that come along.

Playing this Friday and every fornight thereafter if anyone's in the blair street area. Get yourself down to the City Cafe 10pm - 1am

Codenine in the mix !!

Shameless plug indeed:2thumbsup:

I dont get into my music as I used to do ( before kids ), but drum and bass was my choice at the time , Still love the rolling jiggy 4beats now just dont go out now days:qqb017:.

A wee bit of richie rufftone at the venue was a good night out.

Manga on a thursday night was good also.

That's dreadful and laughable. It takes no skill whatsoever to create a set of random sounds. It's the electronic equivalent of jazz.

:rofl:

this_is_my_story
Steve, what you're seeing there is a guy with skill comparable to Jimmy Page playing the guitar of Nigel Kennedy playing the violin.

Seriously.

When you're talking about the guys operating at the highest level, i.e. the DMC championships, your comment isn't far off the truth IMO.

The skill, timing, speed and coordination involved is unbelievable.

Setting some cue points and using something like an MPC is not the most difficult thing to do in the world. Fair enough the scratching is pretty good but hardly mind blowing.

Some of Q-Berts stuff is outstanding. Genuine great technical ability.

I remember watching a vid of the '03 finals when some guy scratched out the tune to Josh Wink - Higher State of Consciousness

The People's Chimp
Setting some cue points and using something like an MPC is not the most difficult thing to do in the world. Fair enough the scratching is pretty good but hardly mind blowing.

I look forward to your DMC victory speech.

Seriously.

cosa i take you are being seriously sarcastic

Nope.

If you are a world DMC, you are pretty much one of the most highly skilled turntablists on the planet.

They all use tape to mark the drops because using phones would take too long. You probably knew that already though. I would disagree that using an MPC in the way he was not that difficult. He's pretty tight with what he's doing.

Highly skilled individual.

They all use tape to mark the drops because using phones would take too long. You probably knew that already though. I would disagree that using an MPC in the way he was not that difficult. He's pretty tight with what he's doing.

Highly skilled individual.

Yep pretty impressive IMO. While it would start to get on my nerves if I was to listen to it for much more than 10 mins or so, I can appreciate the skill required in what he is doing.

Seriously.

Nope.

If you are a world DMC, you are pretty much one of the most highly skilled turntablists on the planet.

Sorry it took so long for a reply i haven't stopped laughing since you said you were compairing the wee ***** in the vid with his hat on squint to Jimmy Paige in terms of talent.

Get yerself up the hospital and get a massive injection of reality check.

Sorry it took so long for a reply i haven't stopped laughing since you said you were compairing the wee ***** in the vid with his hat on squint to Jimmy Paige in terms of talent.

Get yerself up the hospital and get a massive injection of reality check.

You're clearly very ignorant on the subject of turntablism.

There's little point in discussing it any further.

You're clearly very ignorant on the subject of turntablism.

There's little point in discussing it any further.

Correctamundo oh listener of sheight scratchy "music"

Correctamundo oh listener of sheight scratchy "music"

Thanks Jed. That subculture of hip-hop is not for everyone and is more about technical ability than the music. It's more like Joe Satriani or Steve Vai than Jimmy Page if you see what i mean. It's about appreciating the incredible ability rather than musical ability. It's better to see and hear rather than just hear. I like it but it's not all that popular. Hope this explains it suitably.

It's about appreciating the incredible ability rather than musical ability.

When did random knob twiddling become an "incredible ability"? :hat2:

When did random knob twiddling become an "incredible ability"? :hat2:

Many of the techniques were pioneered in the 1980's (Grandmaster Flash, Grand Wizard Theodore, DXT, Ca$h Money etc) and refined in the 1990's (Apollo, Mix-Master Mike, Klever, Perseus, Roc Raida, Q-bert etc) and then taken onto a new level in the 2000's by Kentaro, Plus One, Dopey etc

The scratch sound takes incredile co-ordination to make sound decent and the fader action is anything but random.

You should try it some time or take 5 minutes to have a look at some of the artists I've mentioned.

Mix-master Mike and Q-Bert would be a good place to start.

Thanks Jed. That subculture of hip-hop is not for everyone and is more about technical ability than the music. It's more like Joe Satriani or Steve Vai than Jimmy Page if you see what i mean. It's about appreciating the incredible ability rather than musical ability. It's better to see and hear rather than just hear. I like it but it's not all that popular. Hope this explains it suitably.

You couldn't explain that mince to me if you life depended on it.

You're very narrow minded for a Jedi.

Ha ha, sorry Cosa i just dont get it. I've just watched that last vid you put up the 1995 "World Championships" :stuart: i swear if you look on you tube you'll find a trained chimp making that noise somewhere, and i do get what your talking about with the technical ability thing but.......................WHY

Ha ha, sorry Cosa i just dont get it. I've just watched that last vid you put up the 1995 "World Championships" :stuart: i swear if you look on you tube you'll find a trained chimp making that noise somewhere, and i do get what your talking about with the technical ability thing but.......................WHY

Because scratching sounds amazing.

When you hear a DJ scratch, it's like hearing someone sing or play a musical instrument. They have taken something that was traditionally a medium for playing pre-recorded music only and made it into something that creates new sound and music. In effect, they have made 1210s into a musical instrument in it's own right.

Check this out. Q-bert uses 2 copies of the same record to make a completely new edit of the tune. The skill and timing it takes to do this is unreal.

Like I said, intricate guitar soloists like Satriani or Malmsteen are not enjoyed by everyone, not even by all guitar music enthusiasts but some people do enjoy the expression of such skills. Scratching at this level is kind of like that.

When you hear a DJ scratch, it's like hearing someone sing or play a musical instrument. They have taken something that was traditionally a medium for playing pre-recorded music only and made it into something that creates new sound and music. In effect, they have made 1210s into a musical instrument in it's own right.

Check this out. Q-bert uses 2 copies of the same record to make a completely new edit of the tune. The skill and timing it takes to do this is unreal.

Like I said, intricate guitar soloists like Satriani or Malmsteen are not enjoyed by everyone, not even by all guitar music enthusiasts but some people do enjoy the expression of such skills. Scratching at this level is kind of like that.

Sorry mate, call me old fashioned but thats just pish

Many of the techniques were pioneered in the 1980's (Grandmaster Flash, Grand Wizard Theodore, DXT, Ca$h Money etc) and refined in the 1990's (Apollo, Mix-Master Mike, Klever, Perseus, Roc Raida, Q-bert etc) and then taken onto a new level in the 2000's by Kentaro, Plus One, Dopey etc

I've heard of Grandmaster Flash. I even have a double CD with all the original rap stuff on it. :peepwall:

That is impressive. But I do have an appreciation of DJ's because of my raving days.

I'm sure the DJ Ratty done something like that, having the same record on both turntables. It sounded brilliant.

That is impressive. But I do have an appreciation of DJ's because of my raving days.

I'm sure the DJ Ratty done something like that, having the same record on both turntables. It sounded brilliant.

It can sound amazing if done well. It's called juggling nowadays and it's seriously difficult to do well. Especially with no headphones.

I've heard of Grandmaster Flash. I even have a double CD with all the original rap stuff on it. :peepwall:

Some great early hip-hop tunes came out at that time. The whole breakdance / electro / electric boogaloo style was in full flight and flash used the drum machine and synth style to great effect. His adventures on the wheels of steelLP is outstanding. Melle Mel's MCing was ace too. His rap on the message is one of my all time favourites.

Some great early hip-hop tunes came out at that time. The whole breakdance / electro / electric boogaloo style was in full flight and flash used the drum machine and synth style to great effect. His adventures on the wheels of steelLP is outstanding. Melle Mel's MCing was ace too. His rap on the message is one of my all time favourites.

Just checked my CD collection. The double CD I was referring to is "Sugarhill Club Classics Vol 1 and 2". Great stuff. :2thumbsup:

It can sound amazing if done well. It's called juggling nowadays and it's seriously difficult to do well. Especially with no headphones.

I did notice they didn't have headphones. Makes it all the more impressive. They must have a really good ear.

Just checked my CD collection. The double CD I was referring to is "Sugarhill Club Classics Vol 1 and 2". Great stuff. :2thumbsup:

Pretty cool indeed. You should check out adventures on the wheels of steel. You'd probably like it.

Pretty cool indeed. You should check out adventures on the wheels of steel. You'd probably like it. Sugar hill was a seminal record label. Ground breaking even.

Pretty cool indeed. You should check out adventures on the wheels of steel. You'd probably like it.

PM me a link Cosa and I'll check it out at some stage. Cheers.

I did notice they didn't have headphones. Makes it all the more impressive. They must have a really good ear.

A lot of guys use masking tape to mark beat drops and vocals so they can see what they are doing as well as hear. Most use Serato or final scratch now so they don't need to change records and they can see their cue points on their screen. Still seriously cool though. Oops double post. It's hard posting stuff on here from a mobile phone.

PM me a link Cosa and I'll check it out at some stage. Cheers.

I'll do that next week. On my way to Malta for a few days away from work, cold weather and gash football teams.

A lot of guys use masking tape to mark beat drops and vocals so they can see what they are doing as well as hear. Most use Serato or final scratch now so they don't need to change records and they can see their cue points on their screen. Still seriously cool though. Oops double post. It's hard posting stuff on here from a mobile phone.

You've obviously not mastered your phone like they've mastered the decks!

It's a skill what they're doing. I certainly could'nt do it!

I'll do that next week. On my way to Malta for a few days away from work, cold weather and gash football teams.

You obviously don't know the name of the Maltese champions then :curtain:

You obviously don't know the name of the Maltese champions then :curtain:

I'm not aware of their name but i hear they have a history of flair, losing and telling lies.

Enjoy. :2thumbsup:

Archived