Christians in over reaction shock.

The People's Chimp

Yea, lets get all upset about an advertising campaign while we wholeheartedly embrace a pagan festival. ignore religious corruption & sweep child abuse under the carpet.

Get a grip for ****s sake.

Knowing how the media works, the reporter probably called up the "representatives" in question and encouraged them to react against the book. Makes for a far better story.

For those who have commented on child abuse, Christianity is a broad church (so to speak) and there are both good folk and bad folk within it. I'm not a Christian myself but most Christian folk I've met in this country, at least, have been good people. Just because some people who call themselves "Christians" have been, quite rightly, found out for child abuse doesn't mean that all Christians are the same - I know it's difficult, but please try not to tar everyone with the same brush.

Knowing how the media works, the reporter probably called up the "representatives" in question and encouraged them to react against the book. Makes for a far better story.

For those who have commented on child abuse, Christianity is a broad church (so to speak) and there are both good folk and bad folk within it. I'm not a Christian myself but most Christian folk I've met in this country, at least, have been good people. Just because some people who call themselves "Christians" have been, quite rightly, found out for child abuse doesn't mean that all Christians are the same - I know it's difficult, but please try not to tar everyone with the same brush.

If you are commenting on my post then I think you should re-read it.

Child abuse happens in lots of different organisations unfortunately. Social work, the police, schools. The list could go on.

The problem that I have is that religions have long held the view that it would be better to cover over the crime rather than tarnish the reputation of the church. This has led to hundreds of thousands of children being abused due to these animals not receiving justice for their previous crimes.

Shocking behaviour from any person never mind the self exalted, clean & pure 'christian' churches.

I think EVERYTHING about religion is just a nonsense.

what get's me is that in libraries the bible is never kept in the fiction section.

To even suggest that the bible is filled wiht factual accounts is an insult to anyones intelligence.

The gospel!!! why do we take that into today's language as the truth? total bull poo in every way

And lastly, why is it referrred to as the 'good book'. the book is bigoted to the core. It verges on evil

The People's Chimp

Child abuse happens in lots of different organisations unfortunately. Social work, the police, schools. The list could go on.

The problem that I have is that religions have long held the view that it would be better to cover over the crime rather than tarnish the reputation of the church. This has led to hundreds of thousands of children being abused due to these animals not receiving justice for their previous crimes.

Shocking behaviour from any person never mind the self exalted, clean & pure 'christian' churches.

That's why david koresh had the right idea. He was just open about it.

"No cover ups with the branch davidians yo!"

I think we may be singing from the same hymn sheet, but with different voices. I have to say that I'm disgusted in particular that certain members of a branch of Christianty *in a position of trust* abused that trust, and those in their care, and then the authorities in that church covered it up. However I'm not aware that the Church of Scotland, which is the organisation referred to in the article, has any history of the above. Now if it had been the Catholic Church making such comments, after events in Ireland, and before they have made good the bad that they have caused...

Commander Harris
I'm surprised they took time away from buggering children to read a magazine.

that's some allegation to make against Steven Reid and Ian Galloway, the only named people to comment on the book.

what get's me is that in libraries the bible is never kept in the fiction section.

Because religion is seen as philosophical and therefore would sit in the non-fiction section, just as treatises by Marx, Rousseau, ****, Hume, Aristotle, Plato, Socrates, Hobbes etc etc etc etc

The use of allegory to make a point or statement does not immediately make a work fictitious.

Yours

A. Librarian

Because religion is seen as philosophical and therefore would sit in the non-fiction section, just as treatises by Marx, Rousseau, ****, Hume, Aristotle, Plato, Socrates, Hobbes etc etc etc etc

The use of allegory to make a point or statement does not immediately make a work fictitious.

Yours

A. Librarian

Boris the bible is to anyone with half a brain is as believable as Harry Potter and Hogwarts. You strike me as smart so I ask you - do you think it should be in the fantasy section?

The People's Chimp

Yours

A. Librarian

:)

Boris the bible is to anyone with half a brain is as believable as Harry Potter and Hogwarts. You strike me as smart so I ask you - do you think it should be in the fantasy section?

The credibility of the work is not really the issue when it comes to catalouging and classifying a work.

The point remains that The Bible is a philosophical work and should be treated as such.

Trust me, I'm a librarian! :2thumbsup:

The credibility of the work is not really the issue when it comes to catalouging and classifying a work.

The point remains that The Bible is a philosophical work and should be treated as such.

Trust me, I'm a librarian! :2thumbsup:

I do trust you boris

To me categorising the bible as non fiction is as insulting as categorising a book on Auschwitz in the entertainment or humour section

I do trust you boris

To me categorising the bible as non fiction is as insulting as categorising a book on Auschwitz in the entertainment or humour section

Thanks for your trust!

The Bible shouldn't be seen as a story though, rather a philosophical text. That doesn't mean it is true, because it is in the non fiction section, rather that it may be seen as an allegory. The other thing to think about is that there is no doubt that there was a person called Jesus of Nazareth in Judea at that time so it could also be argued that the Bible is a kind of biography. I'm sure that there are some other biographies where the truth is stretched/manipulated. History books are also a good example of what is true. David Irving can publish holocaust denials and I think the vasy majority of us would say that they are wrong, but they are still non-fiction. Erik Van Danniken and his Chariots of the Gods type books are non-fiction, but some may find the content rather incredulous. So you see, it takes all sorts.

In some libraries they may use the Dewey Decimal System for all their items, so you would have fiction and non-fiction mixed together with items simply categorised by the individual content of the monograph. (Sorry, too far...)

:2thumbsup:

reason I think there must be truth in the bible is the fact that is was allegedly written hundreds of years ago. Why would they write things like Joseph begat mary begat Jimmy begat Billy begat Joseph if they never did any begatting? Also not quite sure they were into fiction in these days and used to write factual events (even though it was along time after the event)

Archived