Edinburgh set for own London Eye

Guest Prince William

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/edinburgh_and_east/8404567.stm

"Plans for an attraction dubbed "Scotland's National Wheel" show it would tower 120 metres over the city - twice as high as the Scott Monument"

Only problem is they are wanting to put it down Leef of all places.

Leith FFS, not good. If you want a view of the city go up Arthur's Seat.

Pretty shabby if you ask me.

:lol: True.

When I was on the London Eye it was good because you had views of London no matter where you stood, however if its down Leith docks then only one side will give views of the city centre, the rest will be of Fife, the Forth, docks etc. You could spend the entire time with your back to the city.

Also its stealing Londons idea which is pretty sleazy in my opinion.

ArmiyaRomanova

I know... why don't we try instead for something that shows the entire city off at its best, perhaps some kind of new fangled transport system to make us the envy of the UK.

Oh...........

Ok then, maybe if they build a big wheel in Leef, the tram system could be superceded by a spanking new OVERHEAD MONORAIL system.

What on earth do we want with big wheel for, any where in in Edinburgh?

You can't get a better view than from the top of Arthur's Seat and that's free!!

The Old Tolbooth

You can't get a better view than from the top of Arthur's Seat and that's free!!

Exactly!

Also why would anyone think that we would want an elevated view of Leith and errr, Grunton?!?!

how about not wasting money on utter pish like that and go all radical and like spend it on essential front line services.

By the way I read the article it seems the company building the wheel will fund the project. I assume they will take a lot of the gate money if not all as well and merely buy the land from the council. Good idea if it's not going to cost the tax payer any cash.

By the way I read the article it seems the company building the wheel will fund the project. I assume they will take a lot of the gate money if not all as well and merely buy the land from the council. Good idea if it's not going to cost the tax payer any cash.

fair nuff. it might have helped if i had read the article. ;)

Say What Again

What about if they put it on the top of Arthurs Seat?

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

I think it's a good idea. They wanted to build it in the city centre but there is no room for it and it obviously makes sense to put it in Leith with the tramline and all that.

Estimated to attract half a million more tourists a year which can only be a good thing.

Twice the size of the Scots Monument though .... I'll be giving it a miss!!!

What about if they put it on the top of Arthurs Seat?

Good idea, get the design right so it acts like a wind mill, no need to get power up there. In fact you could use it to add to the renewable energy supply for the Parly at the bottom of the hill. Of course on the very few days when there is no wind the thing could be powered from all the hot air produced from said Parly.

The only problem I can see is how to get the punters on and off, as it whirls round and round and round.

Just wondering, if the Japanese built their own version of the London Eye, what would they call it?!

The Edinburgh eye is to be sponsored by:

jaapshealthsalts.jpg

Commander Harris
I know... why don't we try instead for something that shows the entire city off at its best, perhaps some kind of new fangled transport system to make us the envy of the UK.

Oh...........

Ok then, maybe if they build a big wheel in Leef, the tram system could be superceded by a spanking new OVERHEAD MONORAIL system.

9f10-big.jpg

Just wondering, if the Japanese built their own version of the London Eye, what would they call it?!

The Tokyo Eye, I'd suspect.

Archived