A belter...?

Sgt.Rock

Was talking to a born and bred Tranent person today: I said he must be a 'Tranenter' but he said folk from Tranent are known as 'Belters' ...but even he didn't know why. Anyone know the origins of this?

No idea.

This? http://www.tranent.info/webpages/The_Belters.pdf

I worked with a guy from Newhaven who said he was a Bow-Tow

That's a reasonable explanation of 'Belters' and as it's the only one we have so far, it must be right...:smiley2:

Bow-Tows are, I think, marine pilots (they tow you into harbour by leading you by the bow of your boat). I guess maybe Newhaven was where a lot of the Forth pilots were based...?

blondejamtart

The tannery theory is apparently correct - my workmate, a born and bred Belter, assures me this is the case. There were several tanneries in the town, the best known being at the bottom end of Church Street.

The tannery theory is apparently correct - my workmate, a born and bred Belter, assures me this is the case. There were several tanneries in the town, the best known being at the bottom end of Church Street.

This is the only explanation of the term Belter that I know .The toughness and footbal theories came about firstly during and after the 1st war( Lie Forrit Turnent was the rallying cry in the trenches)and secondly in the twenties and thirties when Tranent Juniors were at their peak.

I think Speedie and Allan were both signed from Tranent before being killed in action

A Pale merk indeed! Why are you called Pale merks again?

Because people from Hawick stated that they don't have indoor toilets in Gala so..... :th_o:

If you're from Macmerry then you're from "The Blast" due to the old mining that used to occur.

Belters are tramps, everyone of them

Not the most intelligent are you.The "Blast" refers to the the ironworks which were prevalent in Macmery.Blast furnace is where the name comes from.

mod delete

Not the most intelligent are you.The "Blast" refers to the the ironworks which were prevalent in Macmery.Blast furnace is where the name comes from.

mod delete!

I was also told it is due to the mines, not iron. I was also told this by one of the more intelligent belters I knew.

mod delete

So the iron was just lying about on top of the ground, they didnt have to fish it out at all? Naw? Why were the furnace's there if not for the minin?

Might I add its only folk fi Tranent that refer to themselves as Belters everyone else calls them Tranenters.

They also do a big T gesture wi their arms, like it means something.

Archived