Ye Olde Cold Winter Weather On The Way

Drew Busby !

Other weather anoraks may also know this is on the horizon (where are you Dex !) And whilst its not cast in stone yet ... the forecast models are firming up on some seriously cold weather arriving in Scotland, the UK and Europe-wide over the coming week to 10 days.

Sample of what might be in store during/by the end of next week (these are possible maximums)

http://www.wzkarten.de/pics/Rtavn24017.png

Likely to be a fair amount of snow in some areas as well, again too early to say where, when and how much. Get the sledge ready for the kids just in case though.

PS: More than a touch of irony in the likliehood that Copenhagen will sign-off in a sub-arctic spell :10900:

Chance of this sort of report coming up every year: 1/50.

Chance of this weather actually happening to anywhere near the reported severity: 100/1.

Chance of this sort of report coming up every year: 1/50.

Chance of this weather actually happening to anywhere near the reported severity: 100/1.

I'm having none of it. What with global warming I'll be wearing ny vest and shorts as usual.

Great, a cold snap and panic stricken London will close down again at the sight of a few snowflakes.

How many old codgers are expected to die?

Other weather anoraks may also know this is on the horizon (where are you Dex !) And whilst its not cast in stone yet ... the forecast models are firming up on some seriously cold weather arriving in Scotland, the UK and Europe-wide over the coming week to 10 days.

Sample of what might be in store during/by the end of next week (these are possible maximums)

http://www.wzkarten.de/pics/Rtavn24017.png

Likely to be a fair amount of snow in some areas as well, again too early to say where, when and how much. Get the sledge ready for the kids just in case though.

PS: More than a touch of irony in the likliehood that Copenhagen will sign-off in a sub-arctic spell :10900:

remember reading on here back at the start of the year about heavy snow storms going to hit the lothians ete...iam still waiting

Great, a cold snap and panic stricken London will close down again at the sight of a few snowflakes.

How many old codgers are expected to die?

Rather fewer old codgers would die if, as would befit a civilised country, housing benefit included utility bills instead of just rent. You're dead right about what happens in London and across our motorways and rail network though: it's embarrassing. Six years ago, when London was blanketed in snow one weekday evening, it took my Dad six hours to drive a route which normally takes 20 minutes. :th_o:

Six years ago, when London was blanketed in snow one weekday evening, it took my Dad six hours to drive a route which normally takes 20 minutes. :th_o:

That's absolutely ridiculous. You should get him some lessons in driving in difficult conditions rather than have him pootle along holding everyone up.

That's absolutely ridiculous. You should get him some lessons in driving in difficult conditions rather than have him pootle along holding everyone up.

He's a fine driver, Therapist. Not his fault that the entire route in front was gridlocked (reason being that despite the weather forecast, nothing had been gritted). I know, because I was in the back of the car, after abandoning my efforts to get home by rail because nothing was running.

This is what I'll be wearing to the game on Saturday*. Section B fans can be rest assured I won't be feeling the cold as I climb the Wheatfield steps.

*That'll be me on the right.

long-johns.jpg

Kalamazoo Jambo

Currently 9 degrees fahrenheit (-12 celsius) in Kalamazoo.

Including windchill, it feels like -12 degrees fahrenheit (-24 celsius)

Got a few inches of snow too, so celebrating my birthday by having a snow day :2thumbsup:

This is what I'll be wearing to the game on Saturday*. Section B fans can be rest assured I won't be feeling the cold as I climb the Wheatfield steps.

long-johns.jpg

Impressive, I must come along for a look. :th_o:

Currently 9 degrees fahrenheit (-12 celsius) in Kalamazoo.

Including windchill, it feels like -12 degrees fahrenheit (-24 celsius)

Got a few inches of snow too, so celebrating my birthday by having a snow day :2thumbsup:

Typical ex-pat, always got to be hotter or colder. :cool_shades:

long-johns.jpg

Will you be wearing anything else BB or only the thermals?

It's just, I was thinking of bringing my son along and he's at a very impressionable age.

nae luck, its 30C here in vietnam right now.

But you've probably got a really bad sweat rash round your balls.

But you've probably got a really bad sweat rash round your balls.

not yet. but i do have a touch of the sunburn on my feet tho from not putting my sunscreen on.

I was up north in the Keith/Buckie/Huntly sort of area for a few days earlier this week and while on paper the temperatures don't look like anything much different from what's going on down here, it felt so much colder. A real bitter, biting and surprisingly dry sort of cold. People may snigger at BB's thermals but I swear, I'm genuinely thinking of investing in some of those there longjohn type affairs. And some ear muffs and hiking socks too actually...I think I left a few toes in Portknockie.

Second half of next week will be brutal if this chart comes off. Getting close to a reliable timeframe now, and somebody somewhere in the UK looking more and more likely to catch a shot of old-fashioned winter weather.

brack4.gif

Second half of next week will be brutal if this chart comes off. Getting close to a reliable timeframe now, and somebody somewhere in the UK looking more and more likely to catch a shot of old-fashioned winter weather.

brack4.gif

It's going to feel like the 70s.

Rather fewer old codgers would die if, as would befit a civilised country, housing benefit included utility bills instead of just rent. You're dead right about what happens in London and across our motorways and rail network though: it's embarrassing. Six years ago, when London was blanketed in snow one weekday evening, it took my Dad six hours to drive a route which normally takes 20 minutes. :th_o:

I was sitting in the Lamb & Flag in Oxford Shaun, February 2004 when it I recognised snow clouds coming towards us. I said to my local English colleagues, its going to snow, whereupon one of them said "No mate it never snows in Oxford, we are to far inland"

Five minutes later we had horizontal snow and it took me 4 hours to get back to London. Utter Utter Chaos. In London it was weird, no cars buses or tubes, all because of a couple of inches of snow and lack of preparation.

I can confirm it is fecking baltic in the north today. Thankfully I'm jetting out to Barcelona later, where it should be a little bit warmer.

I was sitting in the Lamb & Flag in Oxford Shaun, February 2004 when it I recognised snow clouds coming towards us. I said to my local English colleagues, its going to snow, whereupon one of them said "No mate it never snows in Oxford, we are to far inland"

Five minutes later we had horizontal snow and it took me 4 hours to get back to London. Utter Utter Chaos. In London it was weird, no cars buses or tubes, all because of a couple of inches of snow and lack of preparation.

I remember that day very well actually. It did come from nowhere: I wandered out of the Bodleian Library straight into a blizzard, and walked the 40 minutes or so home, beating the bus I normally take. For some reason, the heaviest snow in the south-east always seems to fall in the final week of January or first week of February: don't ask me why. And we are just never prepared for it.

Archived