What will this decade be remembered for?

djh83

What will this decade be most remembered for?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. What will this decade be most remembered for?

• 9/11
    • War
    • Recession
    • Subo

On a personal level, my ten year battle with crack cocaine and methamphetamine.

I just cant stop eating packets of Tutti Frutti....

Down to one pack a day.

9/11 for me.

For me it's communication technology. Mobile phones, internet and all the stuff that goes with that, wi-fi, broadband, downloads, social networking. It has revolutionised how we work, talk, shop even travel (in as much as we don't need to so much).

9/11 was massive, but how much does it affect you everyday? We got more paranoid, we got involved in a war against an ideal (never a good move), but did it honestly change your life?

For me it's communication technology. Mobile phones, internet and all the stuff that goes with that, wi-fi, broadband, downloads, social networking. It has revolutionised how we work, talk, shop even travel (in as much as we don't need to so much).

9/11 was massive, but how much does it affect you everyday? We got more paranoid, we got involved in a war against an ideal (never a good move), but did it honestly change your life?

It did change my life.

I worked for an American company down the Gyle at the time , one month later no job!

9/11 did change many things ( not directly ) but things did change.

I P Knightley

I hope, probably against hope, that it will be a decade remembered as the decade when we finally learned how to count decades.

1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10.

The decade starts at 2001 and the next one starts at 2011.

The People's Chimp

That's a very insular approach. It affects millions of people's lives on a daily basis. Death, war, chaos.

You're right about communications technology being the massive development of our decade, but as a decade it was defined by the attacks in 2001. It shaped the political landscape.

The People's Chimp
The Death of the Peoples Rascist....R.I.P Jade!! :43:

When I scrolled down the page, for a minute I thought this said "the people's rapist..."

But then I realised that Ex blue Peter presenting property developers were never that popular.

When I scrolled down the page, for a minute I thought this said "the people's rapist..."

But then I realised that Ex blue Peter presenting property developers were never that popular.

Aye, and unfortunately he's not deceased....That reads DECEASED, Not Diseased, which he obviously is!! :curtain:

Grant Stott Knew!! :clover:

Arnold Rothstein
I hope, probably against hope, that it will be a decade remembered as the decade when we finally learned how to count decades.

So did the 90s start in 1991???? Strange logic.

What utter boll0cks.

So what decade was the year 0 AD in?

There wasn't a 0 CE (0 BCE for that matter).

It went from 1BCE to 1CE

So in CE terms When we hit 2010, there will only have been 2009 CE years that have passed.

So if counting millenia, then the second millenium started in 2001, not 2000.

When counting decades though, it would seem natural to count from 0-9.

Ivan - correct when counting for millenia celbrations, but (in my book) just a wee bit off for decades.

The first decade i.e. 1CE to 9CE is a year short.

* CE = Common Era, BCE = Before Common Era.

After the Vienna Scientific Conference of 1885, it was decided that both the first decade BC and the first decade AD would have equal rights to include the year 0 AD in their respective decades. This led to the great Decadian Schism of 1887 when some pointed out this meant that those decades could now contain 11 years. These individuals, self-styled Decadians, thus decided to ignore the year 0 AD as if it had never happened.

The Decadians then spent the next half century trying to determine what actually took place in that non-year so that they could wipe all traces of its effects on subsequent history. This included the destruction of at least two cities and 500,000 people. Realising in 1933 (1932 to the Decadians) that by implicitly accepting that the year 0 AD existed in trying to delete its effects from history, the Decadians were creating an unsolvable paradox, the whole group destroyed itself and its records in September of that year.

It went from 1BCE to 1CE

So in CE terms When we hit 2010, there will only have been 2009 CE years that have passed.

Ivan - correct when counting for millenia celbrations, but (in my book) just a wee bit off for decades.

Decadian!

I P Knightley
What utter boll0cks.

Was there actually a year 0? It would have just been year 1 no?

DJH, your point agrees with my earlier argument; the one you said was bo11ocks. :)

Section-p-massive, Call them the '90s if you will. It's a set of 10 years with "9" in common as the second last digit. But it's not 'the decade' if you can count.

Boris, the argument that one decade is allowed to be short by a year is - ahem - 'convenient' but I'm a mathematician so can't buy it. "Seeming Natural" is not what we scientists do:). Full marks for the correct plural of millennium.

Redjambo, I'm very much amused by the possibility that my little post could stoke the embers of a half century feud that leads to the destruction of 2 cities and a half million people. It means that the most memorable thing of the decade (however it's counted) could very possibly be my post!!

If decades start at '01 and finish at '11 then Physco and the Magnificent seven are 50's films - Cassius Clay rose to fame in the 50's - The Beatles split in the 60's and John Lennon was killed in the 70's ??

Best to keep the decades starting at the noughts - mathematically correct or otherwise. :stuart:

...and the answer's 9/11.

PresidentRomanov

I couldn't care less about 9/11, this decade will be remembered for the same reason as the last one, Hearts winning the Scottish Cup :smiley2:

Well it wont be remembered for the best 10 selling records if the information I have copied from the virgin media page is correct. Only 2 out of10 for me and even they are lukewarm. This is a right eye opener if accurate.

In what surely sums up the noughties as being ruled by TV talent shows, Will Young’s Evergreen has been revealed as the biggest selling single of the decade.

The Pop Idol winner shifted 1.79 million copies of the double A-side, Evergreen/Anything Is Possible.

If that wasn’t proof enough, he was closely followed by the original Pop Idol runner-up Gareth Gates, with his version of Unchained Melody.

And the list doesn’t get any better the further down you go. In third place is Mr Boombastic, Shaggy, with Wasn’t Me, while Tony Christie’s Amarillo and the terrible Band Aid remake complete the top five (at least they were for charity!).

The full top ten is as follows:

1. Will Young: Evergreen

2. Gareth Gates: Unchained Melody

3. Shaggy: Wasn't Me

4. Tony Christie/Peter Kay: Amarillo

5. Band Aid 20: Do They Know It’s Christmas?

6. Hear’Say: Pure And Simple

7. Shayne Ward: That’s My Goal

8. Kylie: Can't Get You Out Of My Head

9. Bob the Builder: Can We Fix It

10. Atomic Kitten: Whole Again

What do you think of the list? Should we be ashamed that these are the top selling singles of the last 10 years?

School shootings, the increased availability of technology and information, terrorist attacks being built all out of proportion by the media and enabling governments to use anti-terror legislation to strip away the rights of those it was put in to protect.

Basically the mass dumbing down of our civilisation, to make us feel dependent on the people who govern us.

And before anyone asks, I'm not some New World Order conspiracy guy. This is just what defines the last 10 years.

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

It went from 1BCE to 1CE

Oooh, dig the atheist jargon...

:curtain:

A British Prime Minister committing war crimes.

It happened on my watch ,so to speak, and I did nothing because I was a gullible fool. In my name now my shame.

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic
Not at all, I would use that too.

I got taught to use BCE and CE at bible college.

:2thumbsup:

Is that right?

Wow, every day's a school day...

Johanes de Silentio

Hearts scaring the living ****e out of the OF in 2005/06.

Hearts lifting a proper trophy for the 2nd time in 8 years.

Otherwise? Rank mediocrity?

An African/American in the White House is probably a big deal, mind!

Archived