Recommend a first car

Pele_Is_God

Hey, Im looking for a suitable first car. Nothing bigger than a 1.6 engine. Budget is 5,000. Any suggestions??

Cheers

Go for a Ford Focus just bought one good to drive getting 38 miles to the gallon they are mass produced so parts not hard /expensive to get.

Hey, Im looking for a suitable first car. Nothing bigger than a 1.6 engine. Budget is 5,000. Any suggestions??

Cheers

Who is it for mate?

There are a lot of horror stories about Arnold Clark in Edinburgh check them out on google .

Correct - my personal experience of them isn't good either.

I know someone who is selling a v reliable 52 plate Ford Fiesta in a beautiful met red or maroon with only 51 000 miles on the clock. MOT'd until next Oct, just had new brakes and has genuinely only had 2 female owners (my wife and someone else)

Its a snip at ?2750 ono - just reduced for a quick sale

PM me if you are interested. More than happy for the car to be inspected etc

The People's Chimp

How old are you/how long you been driving?

I'd maybe suggest a smaller engine, but in a car with a wee bit of sport, but nothing you can get too carried away in. A 1.4 hatchback maybe, get used to it and if you want some fun you can still work it a bit through the gears.

I'm just saying because I have an idiot mate who appears unable to drive anything above a 1.4 without writing it off. Utterly bizarre, but he loves the feel of cornering in a wee clio, then tries to take it into a biggger car and then blows it, so if you're younger and looking at a first car, it's maybe sensible to get a feel for the roads first, before getting a bigger engine.

I had good times in my citroen AX 1.0 with 4 gears and the occasional blast in my dad's A4s etc. If i'd been driving the A4 all the time I'm sure I'd have probably crashed it. Then got a peugeot 205gt which was amazing, loads of fun and it was 1.4. Still miss her!

I am 22 - just for social use mainly. Not bothered it being a sporty car or not. I was thinking along the lines of a corsa or astra...

I am 22 - just for social use mainly. Not bothered it being a sporty car or not. I was thinking along the lines of a corsa or astra...

You'd get a nice 54 plate black corsa or about ?3500 mate. For a first car that would be the maximum I'd pay. You will have some bumps along the line.

Don't know bout the engine, but i'm fairly certain that you could get a Peugot 206 that's what I want as my first car anyway.

Looking at Volkswagen Polo's the now.. pretty reasonable!

You won't go wrong with a Polo or a Golf (if you can afford the insurance).

You will probably get a decent wedge for it when you come to sell it as they hold their value so well.

I currently have a mark4 VW Golf - 2nd car I have owned, best decision ever.

At 22 and first car insurance will be expensive -- don't even think about a 1.6 engine simply for insurance purposes.

Get a 2/3 year old car -- new Fiesta shape, Toyota Yaris or even the citroens are fine -------------- otherwise get an old banger to last you 2 years or so just till you can build up insurance history -- by 25 years of age it will take a dip

southside1874
At 22 and first car insurance will be expensive -- don't even think about a 1.6 engine simply for insurance purposes.

Get a 2/3 year old car -- new Fiesta shape, Toyota Yaris or even the citroens are fine -------------- otherwise get an old banger to last you 2 years or so just till you can build up insurance history -- by 25 years of age it will take a dip

Exactly..just buy a car and go through the things that you like and don't like about a car. You can't buy experience.

Honda was the best car for me. No problems and it holds it price when you want to sell it on. Arnold Clark never done me a bad service either. Everyone has their story to tell though.

You will go through many cars and theres no better time to start than the present. Some good and some not so good.

Entry level cars are gash to drive. Go for something with a bit spec even though its a wee bit older.

My first car was a Corsa, second a Punto. Both way below your price limit mind:o

I drive a Rover 25 just now and its magic. You could easily get an excellent condition 1.4 MG ZR for ?5k.

Can't really go wrong with a Corsa, Astra, Focus, Fiesta Golf or a Polo tbh.

Or even a Seat Ibiza (it's basically a prettier Polo - same chassis I believe. All the engines are the same etc.).

Japanese cars tend to be more to insure (depends on the engine, if it's a 1.0 then it will be cheap obviously). But at the same time they have the most reliable engines probably. You are very very unlikely to see a Honda, Toyota or a Mazda have an engine failure.

German cars tend to be the best screwed together, but a bit more to fix if you need a new bumper for example.

Captain Sausage

A Rover 25. Beautiful little car that will run and run and run. Spend the other 4k on beer.

marshallschunkychicken
There are a lot of horror stories about Arnold Clark in Edinburgh check them out on google .

I had a Mk2 Punto a few years ago which was great, but the head of the gear lever was loose. I went along to Arnold Clark, got a new one for ?10, and fitted it myself with the aid of a hammer. :th_o:

A girl at my work had the same model, and mentioned that she had the same problem with the head of the gear lever coming off. She went along to Arnold Clark, where she was subsequently quoted ?300. The robbing gits were going to charge her to remove the exhaust system, take out the gearbox, and replace the gearstick.

Miller Jambo 60

Aye got a 3 year old Astra in 1992 from Clarks Edinburgh,25000 on the Clock.

Remember going to Falkirk(game) and returning to hear a loud clicking from the engine.

Had the car 2 weeks and the camshaft was goosed.

The cheeky bassa at clarks on the reception said we will fix it as a goodwill gesture.

What a tube it was still under the 3 months from them and i had a full years extended warranty.

Watch them.

Doug.

Nucky Thompson

My first car was a Datsun Cherry I paid ?25 for:smiley2: It had a couple of months road tax and no MOT but that didn't stop me.

I P Knightley
I had a Mk2 Punto a few years ago which was great, but the head of the gear lever was loose. I went along to Arnold Clark, got a new one for ?10, and fitted it myself with the aid of a hammer. :th_o:

A girl at my work had the same model, and mentioned that she had the same problem with the head of the gear lever coming off. She went along to Arnold Clark, where she was subsequently quoted ?300. The robbing gits were going to charge her to remove the exhaust system, take out the gearbox, and replace the gearstick.

I'm hoping that you offered her to have a go on your knob; to give it a few tugs and pulls and see whether she could make it come off. And that if she was happy with that, you'd be able to go round to hers, she could make sure the shaft was stiff and then you could ram in the knob.

New car for a new driver? Others have said it - don't go beyond a 1.2l engine for insurance. Most are nippy enough. Fiats are reliable and good value, usually with reasonable spec at a low price.

marshallschunkychicken
I'm hoping that you offered her to have a go on your knob; to give it a few tugs and pulls and see whether she could make it come off. And that if she was happy with that, you'd be able to go round to hers, she could make sure the shaft was stiff and then you could ram in the knob.

I really don't know how to answer that.... :th_o:

New car for a new driver? Others have said it - don't go beyond a 1.2l engine for insurance. Most are nippy enough. Fiats are reliable and good value, usually with reasonable spec at a low price.

:2thumbsup:

Wouldn't touch them with a barge pole!

Reputation wise G R. Grandison in Musselburgh seem to be well respected.

A Rover 25. Beautiful little car that will run and run and run. Spend the other 4k on beer.

Listen to this man.

You'll get more 25 for your money, but the ZR will look better.

Depends what you're after. I got a top spec 25 for cheaper than a low spec ZR.

Good fun to drive, comfortable and quite nippy too. Parts are fairly easy to come by despite what you may hear. Got mine from Wheels at the Wisp: http://www.wheelscarsales.co.uk/8348/wheelscarsales.htm

Listen to this man.

You'll get more 25 for your money, but the ZR will look better.

Depends what you're after. I got a top spec 25 for cheaper than a low spec ZR.

Good fun to drive, comfortable and quite nippy too. Parts are fairly easy to come by despite what you may hear. Got mine from Wheels at the Wisp: http://www.wheelscarsales.co.uk/8348/wheelscarsales.htm

The MG ZR's are expensive to insure. The bog standard 1.4 model is in group 9 insurance!! Crazy

http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/specs/Detail.aspx?deriv=21422

You could get a 2.0 litre Focus or Astra and it is in the same group.

My mum had a rover 25 a while ago. Nice comfortable cars, but at the end of the day if you have money to spend they are at the bottom of the chart (sorry!) the basic shape of the car is about 15 years old dating back to the Rover 200. They haven't done anything with the nasty driving position (if you are over 6 " 2 you are feeeeked).

Whatever happens, don't go for a Rover. They don't build them anymore which is hardly going to be an attractive feature when you go to punt it on.

Whatever happens, don't go for a Rover. They don't build them anymore which is hardly going to be an attractive feature when you go to punt it on.

Correct but they are now dirt cheap even for quite new models -- he could purchase one to run for a couple of years till insurance levels drop or till he hits 25.

Rovers are very, very cheap because there is no dealer back up so all repairs/parts need to be through private garages/parts stores.

Archived