More Parking fines advice.

Ray Winstone

Today I was running a bit late for a seminar so I just parked my car in the Aberdeen uni Car Park where you are not allowed to do so without a permit or permission from the uni etc etc.

There are signs displayed about the fines etc but they are imposed by an outside company called Town & City Parking (TCP) not the actual University itself.

Now it was my understanding (and I could be wrong) that in Scotland it is only council parking wardens who are allowed to issue fixed penalty notices as essentially what I have been done for is a form of tresspassing which does not exist in Scotland.

I have heard of people not paying these before when they get them in supermarkets etc like people who park in Sainsburys when they go to Tynecastle (myself included).

Anyone got any decent advice, or previous dealings with TCP?

The charge is ?30 going up to ?60 in 10 days plus another ?10 if it is not paid within 28 days. If I don't pay it says they will get my details from the DVLA and failure to respond will lead to civil action etc etc (which will cost them more than the ?70 I am meant to pay them!)

Today I was running a bit late for a seminar so I just parked my car in the Aberdeen uni Car Park where you are not allowed to do so without a permit or permission from the uni etc etc.

There are signs displayed about the fines etc but they are imposed by an outside company called Town & City Parking (TCP) not the actual University itself.

Now it was my understanding (and I could be wrong) that in Scotland it is only council parking wardens who are allowed to issue fixed penalty notices as essentially what I have been done for is a form of tresspassing which does not exist in Scotland.

I have heard of people not paying these before when they get them in supermarkets etc like people who park in Sainsburys when they go to Tynecastle (myself included).

Anyone got any decent advice, or previous dealings with TCP?

The charge is ?30 going up to ?60 in 10 days plus another ?10 if it is not paid within 28 days. If I don't pay it says they will get my details from the DVLA and failure to respond will lead to civil action etc etc (which will cost them more than the ?70 I am meant to pay them!)

My only advice would be - Shed?

These fines are not enforcable in Scotland. Only local councils & their agents (traffic wardens) and the police can do this - the clue is in the "Civil Action" bit - it's not a Criminal offence. http://www.pepipoo.com for more info.

Tell them to get details from DVLA if they want, when that letter arrives (and if you can be arsed) reply saying you do not know who was driving and please stop sending me letters.

Bin the letter, and all others that follow - even when they start threatening court action or credit issues etc, its bullying tactics that 9/10 people fall for.

But in future, save yourself the hassle and don't park where you know you shouldn't!

These fines are not enforcable in Scotland. Only local councils & their agents (traffic wardens) and the police can do this - the clue is in the "Civil Action" bit - it's not a Criminal offence. http://www.pepipoo.com for more info.

Tell them to get details from DVLA if they want, when that letter arrives (and if you can be arsed) reply saying you do not know who was driving and please stop sending me letters.

Bin the letter, and all others that follow - even when they start threatening court action or credit issues etc, its bullying tactics that 9/10 people fall for.

But in future, save yourself the hassle and don't park where you know you shouldn't![/QUOTE]

Cheers - this pretty much just confirms what I thought.

And as for the part in bold - I wouldn't usually but I was running late etc....thank god I only have 8 months to go living in the hell-hole that is Aberdeen.

Archived