Interviews for internal positions

Homme

I have an interview next wednesday for a job that has been advertised internally in my work. It's even under the same line manager as i have just now.

I need some advice whether to go about this interview the way i would any other. Do i still try sell myself as much, even though my boss knows my characteristics and encouraged me to go for the position? Do i use the fact i already know and get on with my colleagues, know the department well and what is required of me etc? That i am already knowledgeable in the software we use etc etc.

Are these valid reasons to put across?

Anyone with any similar experience of sitting through an internal interview able to give me some tips?

I have an interview next wednesday for a job that has been advertised internally in my work. It's even under the same line manager as i have just now.

I need some advice whether to go about this interview the way i would any other. Do i still try sell myself as much, even though my boss knows my characteristics and encouraged me to go for the position? Do i use the fact i already know and get on with my colleagues, know the department well and what is required of me etc? That i am already knowledgeable in the software we use etc etc.

Anyone with any similar experience of sitting through an internal interview able to give me some tips?

Ask your line manager would be my first tip, especially as he put you forward for it.

Ask him what he's looking to gain from the interview.

Ask your line manager would be my first tip, especially as he put you forward for it.

Ask him what he's looking to gain from the interview.

I reckon he'll be one of the interviewers, so is that wise?

Chaka Demus & pliers

Yes. Do all of this and I'm sure you will be fine. Good luck :2thumbsup:

I reckon he'll be one of the interviewers, so is that wise?

Very much so....

Every interview I've went for I've asked them what they are looking for, what they want to achieve from the interview, you can disguise it as; do I need to prepare anything?

cheers guys. Yeah i am / was kind of worried about the thing going down the full informal route.

It's between myself (internal) and A.N Other who is an external applicant.

I wasn't sure that by using the examples i gave whether that would seem as taking an easy way out of answeing some questions.

Went through this once.

I didn't sell myself as all the interview panel knew me thoroughly and I assumed that I didn't need to do the usual 'why I am so brilliant' pish and didn't get the job as I didn't sell myself.

So I'd say do it as you'd do an external interview. A word with your line manager can't hurt - even if it is just for him/her to say 'Sorry, I can't tell you'...at least you'll know.

Miller Jambo 60
Went through this once.

I didn't sell myself as all the interview panel knew me thoroughly and I assumed that I didn't need to do the usual 'why I am so brilliant' pish and didn't get the job as I didn't sell myself.

So I'd say do it as you'd do an external interview. A word with your line manager can't hurt - even if it is just for him/her to say 'Sorry, I can't tell you'...at least you'll know.

Thats so true Boof, i went for an internal once and blew it cos i was too complacent, a bit like Hearts.:43:

cheers guys. Yeah i am / was kind of worried about the thing going down the full informal route.

It's between myself (internal) and A.N Other who is an external applicant.

I wasn't sure that by using the examples i gave whether that would seem as taking an easy way out of answeing some questions.

Yes, play on that as well as someone else said give examples where possible of what you have done in the work place, you do have to sell yourself and one of the major selling points is that you already work there so know the systems and know the people. Also be sure that you know where you want to go in your career with them and be sure to tell them

I got into the role I'm in just now (sitting in a crappy hotel in Norway admittedly) by taking opportunities when they arose and knowing where I wanted to go

• 2 weeks later...

Guys,

Thanks again for all the advice and tips on this thread. I did take them all into account and i'm pleased to say i was offered the position this afternoon.

Thanks JKB. May you all have a wonderful Xmas :)

Bomber Harris' Best Mate

treat it as an external interview

examples of what you have achieved and how you can bring your skills to the new job

good luck

treat it as an external interview

examples of what you have achieved and how you can bring your skills to the new job

good luck

How's the snow in Peebles :santa1:

I had an internal interview for my last senior management job. The interview board consisted of the guy who's job I was applying for, my boss who came in from Ottawa and the Chairman of the Department I worked in D.O.T. Canada. The questions were obviously prepared with no facility for deviation, as the applicants were all from across Canada and they were being tested as to their knowledge of the operation in Vancouver, the whole thing became ludicrous. My predecessor was obviously embarrassed at what I was being asked and knowing I had two of the members lost when it came to what was required in the position I became quite aggressive but polite, in my answers. The last question I was asked was how I would feel if I didn't get the position, I responded that of course I would be disappointed, would assist the chosen to the extent I could but had no intention of doing the job for him, he would have gained the appointment and better be prepared to carry out his responsibilities accordingly. I got the position, but was not allowed to enjoy it because of continuous criticism and harassment. I won the battle but lost the war.

Archived