John Smeaton 'Everyday Hero'

loveofthegame

loveofthegame

Anyone watch this on the Beeb last night?!

I love the guy, purely for cult hero status. As normal a guy as you'll ever meet whose been thrown into the limelight, yet still lives at home with the parents and gets his mum to do his packing for him!

Genuinely likeable guy imo, and seems very humble at the oppertunities he's been given that the other guys that helped that day haven't had. Carried on his backage handling job in between trips to the CNN Everyday Hero awards and trips to meet the PM and Queen!

Hero, even if he supports the Currant Buns.

"This is Glasgow, we'll just set aboot yi."

"Me and other folks were just tryin tae get the boot in and some other guy banjoed him."

I was a big fan at first but I'm bored of him now.

He should have been a fad that died out fairly quickly (not literally though).

loveofthegame
I was a big fan at first but I'm bored of him now.

He should have been a fad that died out fairly quickly (not literally though).

Arguably. Hes doing a lot of charity work though and has just taken up a new job as a security guard according to last nights programme so not like he has really profited financially from all of this. He'll be gone from the limelight completely soon, but in the meantime he deserves the praise he has received and the experiences he has got that otherwise he would never have had

Cynical as they come. Think the guy is a tube who belittles real heros with has patronising "i'm an everyman" crap.

Wouldn't have got a second outing if he wasn't a cliched joke.

Well here comes the third different opinion. Never really have liked him. Not that I've not liked him, I just don't really care. He was out on one of his supposed many unscheduled fag breaks when it all kicked off - no pun intented.

The fact that he then, in his own words, was just trying to get the boot into the guy doesn't make him a hero to me.

The man on fire was gonna do nothing in that state and the press (Sun in particular - who gave him his own column FFS!) will have you believe he single handedly stopped a terror attack.

Plus I had the misfortune of reading his column once at work in which all he talked about was some hot woman in a film I think, Rangers, and his delight at meeting the Queen since he is a massive fan of the Union and the Monarchy.

What a surprise.

loveofthegame
Cynical as they come. Think the guy is a tube who belittles real heros with has patronising "i'm an everyman" crap.

Wouldn't have got a second outing if he wasn't a cliched joke.

Have never come across one reason not to like the guy other than jealousy- "look at that dirty weejie *******, he must be a tube." Normal guy, does good, reaps some rewards, does more good, gets on with life, the end.

loveofthegame

Ach its all about opinions i guess. I see no harm in what the guys doing.

Anyway, off to the boozer before the game. Mon the Hearts!!

Have never come across one reason not to like the guy other than jealousy- "look at that dirty weejie *******, he must be a tube." Normal guy, does good, reaps some rewards, does more good, gets on with life, the end.

I find the whole idea of a cynically marketed "hero" nauseating.

Sorry if you disagree.

He is a genuine nice guy even if he is a wee bit of a half wit, the whole making a documentary about him is a bit of a joke although I always laugh when I hear the "This is Glasgow, We'll just set aboot ye" quote. Not sure if Bin Laden and al qaeda knew what they were dealing with when they tried to get in the way of the weegies and their holidays to the Costa's.

fair do's to the guy it must take some doing kicking somebody who's on fire but what about the others who 'chipped in' & prevented a major disaster ,have they the same recogsnition ?-the taxi driver for example.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Another guy who helped at the time broke his leg doing his bit and do you here feck all from him?

Well played for what he did but he is milking it.

I don't have a problem with him tbh - it's the tabloids who have been going on and on about it. The Daily Record seem to go over the top on anything roughly connected to a Glasgow.

Dr Ian Malcolm

To be fair, he said he felt guilty that it was just him getting all those opportunities instead of all 4 of them - its not really his fault all the attention is on him. He's hardly going to turn it all down. Kept having to take unpaid leave from his work so he can;t really be accused of milking it all for personal gain.

He summed it up pretty well at the end: "I'm still the same peson, I;ve just had a wee bit more excitment this year than usual."

I quite like the guy.

Orchard Jambo

Watched some of it, and he is a ****.. All the fame for what? Kicking a guy who was on fire... WOW what a hero... :dog:

The guy is a ARSE HOLE!!

Patrick Bateman

I think some people are far, far too harsh on him. He ALWAYS talks about the other people who were involved in that day and it isn't his fault if the media have made him into a Superhero.

Scotland is a country which often struggles for good stories, so when something nice comes along, people should just stop laying into it. His political and footballing preferences aren't important - His "booting of some guy" (a terrorist, who was intent on murdering people) could have saved lives, so the fact that people are belittling it, or making it seem cowardly, is pretty pathetic.

Watched some of it, and he is a ****.. All the fame for what? Kicking a guy who was on fire... WOW what a hero... :dog:

The guy is a ARSE HOLE!!

That's how I feel about it.

ToadKiller Dog

I have nothing against the guy,He seems a normal guy,His actions were the right thing to do in the situation,i would hope most of us would do the same.He deserves some praise for his act.The Circus created around him is another thing.

but the fact is he is being exploited from the media the establishment etc as part of our war on terror campaign,which is fair enough and expected.

but there are thousands of others out there who take or make such acts which save people lives going on all the tme.A guy at my work reacently saved the life of a guy who had taken a real beating and was unconscious ,he got a letter from the police and his picture in the Evening tele,they did not give him his own ghost written rant column.

He did the right human thing to do,a choice i think most of us would make.

Seems like a nice enough bloke but I wonder how long it will be until the Tabloids turn on him. As soon as he becomes boring they will dig some dirt (or make it up).

I happened to read his column in the Sun once and he really should stay away from discussing politics, although most readers of that rag will probably agree with his views.

Well here comes the third different opinion. Never really have liked him. Not that I've not liked him, I just don't really care. He was out on one of his supposed many unscheduled fag breaks when it all kicked off - no pun intented.

The fact that he then, in his own words, was just trying to get the boot into the guy doesn't make him a hero to me.

The man on fire was gonna do nothing in that state and the press (Sun in particular - who gave him his own column FFS!) will have you believe he single handedly stopped a terror attack.

Plus I had the misfortune of reading his column once at work in which all he talked about was some hot woman in a film I think, Rangers, and his delight at meeting the Queen since he is a massive fan of the Union and the Monarchy.

What a surprise.

Frankie Boyle had a good line about that saying Glasgow must be the only city in the world where upon seeing a man on fire, the first instinct is to give him a kicking...:rolleyes:

Tosser.

Couldn't agree more. I am sick of all this Smeaton pish.

He's such a hard man, that he kicked a guy already being restrained, and the Weedgie rags make it out as if he single-handedly prevented a major terror attack on Scotland.

What a lot of bollox.

he is a disgusting weegie preeeeeick!

talentless ****bag

thug

his parents seemed really nice tho

Gavsy Van Gaverson

Some other boy hits the terrorist, he then 'tries' to set aboot the terrorist whilst he was on fire, yet he's the ****ing hero.

What a dick!

The People's Chimp
I think some people are far, far too harsh on him. He ALWAYS talks about the other people who were involved in that day and it isn't his fault if the media have made him into a Superhero.

Scotland is a country which often struggles for good stories, so when something nice comes along, people should just stop laying into it. His political and footballing preferences aren't important - His "booting of some guy" (a terrorist, who was intent on murdering people) could have saved lives, so the fact that people are belittling it, or making it seem cowardly, is pretty pathetic.

ah kent his faither.

He's such a hard man, that he kicked a guy already being restrained, and the Weedgie rags make it out as if he single-handedly prevented a major terror attack on Scotland.

What a lot of bollox.

So because the weegie rags blow things out of proportion he's a tosser?

Nothing against the guy himself, he's milking his fifteen minutes of fame, but who can blame him? I don't imagine that he earns much as a baggage handler.

Can't believe that anyone still finds "Smeato" jokes funny, though. They were funny for about a day, then got annoying.

Typical Glaswegian Spunkbag.

The type you just cannae shake off on holiday who thinks he's your best mate cos "Wurraw Jock Tamsons bairns big yin".

Has a Rangers/Celtic top on for 2 weeks solid and complains cos the Hotel Bar hasnae got any Tennents.

I see a parallel with Simon Weston.

The parallel being that John Smeaton was not the only hero(to use a word) and Simon Weston was not the only servicman to be badly burnt/wounded during the Falkland's conflict. These two guys who the press got their pens into(so to speak) therefore rightly/wrongly(personally I believe wrongly) they get all the exposure and credit.

John

What a lot of bollox.

Just ignore the facts ? that?s OK, is it?

The guy went to the aid of a police officer who was struggling to get a grip of one of the terrorists who was violently resisting arrest.

One of the other civilians who rushed forward to help got a smack for his troubles and fell over breaking his leg. Smeaton dragged him to safety. That blazing SUV could have blown up at any moment f** **** sake. Good on the boy for getting stuck in. How many of those criticising the lad would have acted in the same way I wonder?

He admits himself that he's embarrassed at being singled out for praise.

Good luck to the lad - enjoy the celebrity while it lasts. He'll be yesterdays news soon enough.

Meanwhile the misery-guts on here can trawl the media for someone else to vent their spleens on.

The guy went to the aid of a police officer who was struggling to get a grip of one of the terrorists who was violently resisting arrest.

One of the other civilians who rushed forward to help got a smack for his troubles and fell over breaking his leg. Smeaton dragged him to safety. That blazing SUV could have blown up at any moment f** **** sake. Good on the boy for getting stuck in. How many of those criticising the lad would have acted in the same way I wonder?

Good luck to the lad - enjoy the celebrity while it lasts. He'll be yesterdays news soon enough.

Meanwhile the misery-guts on here can trawl the media for someone else to vent their spleens on.

Spot on mate, my thoughts exactly.

I think the guy is great, he is first to admit that he was not the only person that helped out that day and is embarrassed for getting all the praise.

Who here would not do the same if thrust into the spotlight? I know I would

Typical Glaswegian Spunkbag.

The type you just cannae shake off on holiday who thinks he's your best mate cos "Wurraw Jock Tamsons bairns big yin".

Has a Rangers/Celtic top on for 2 weeks solid and complains cos the Hotel Bar hasnae got any Tennents.

Well said made.

Pure jakeball.

loveofthegame

Thats how i see it mate. He seems very humble and quite frankly embarrassed by all the attention he gets. But hes been a baggage handler all his life, why shouldnt he enjoy the things being thrown at him.

I know i would

Dr Ian Malcolm

Would the reaction from some be the same if he was from Edinburgh?

Archived