Mince and Tatties

nicecream

I had mince and tatties for dinner last night.

Just wondering does anyone else mash it all together ?

Yes ,always.

Mashed together with pepper and brown sauce!

mmmm mmmmm mmmmm!

A classic dish like mince and tatties should not be spoiled with fripperies such as a slice of bread or - horror of horrors - brown sauce. :43:

A classic dish like mince and tatties should not be spoiled with fripperies such as a slice of bread or - horror of horrors - brown sauce. :43:

I do agree but it's amazing with an onion boiled in the mince when it's cooking!

I do agree but it's amazing with an onion boiled in the mince when it's cooking!

Mince and tatties should always have (sliced) onion in it.

Anti-stovies post IMO.

Anti-stovies post IMO.

I'm extremely pro-stovies, but believe it's vital to make mince and tatties properly without unnecessary and ridiculous additions to the basic recipe.

I'm extremely pro-stovies, but believe it's vital to make mince and tatties properly without unnecessary and ridiculous additions to the basic recipe.

What's your stovies reseep? Square sausage in chunks, mashed tatties, onions and brown sauce for me.

What's your stovies reseep? Square sausage in chunks, mashed tatties, onions and brown sauce for me.

Link sausages or corned beef, tatties (chunks), onions. No brown sauce. But the absolute key ingredient is beef dripping. Without that, stovies really aren't stovies.

Oh, and for you brown sauce fans out there, you do realise it is about 90% vinegar? You'd be as well just tipping a bottle of Sarsons into your dish.

Link sausages or corned beef, tatties (chunks), onions. No brown sauce. But the absolute key ingredient is beef dripping. Without that, stovies really aren't stovies.

Oh, and for you brown sauce fans out there, you do realise it is about 90% vinegar? You'd be as well just tipping a bottle of Sarsons into your dish.

I mix my mince and tatties together.

You are correct with the beef dripping for stovies! Its an absolute must. But I prefer corned beef. Link sausages shouldn't be in stovies imo.

I'm now officially hungry.

Rupert Pupkin
Link sausages or corned beef, tatties (chunks), onions. No brown sauce. But the absolute key ingredient is beef dripping. Without that, stovies really aren't really stovies

This is true but my Gran puts a slant on this by adding baked beans while cooking(one which my mum picked up on).You should try it , really makes them delicious.

This is true but my Gran puts a slant on this by adding baked beans while cooking(one which my mum picked up on).You should try it , really makes them delicious.

:hat2: :hat2: :hat2: :hat2:

Don't think I'll be trying that one.

The original stovies recipe doesn't feature baked beans. Certain recipes evolve over time, but stovies and mince and tatties are like some of the Escoffier classics and should never be changed.

Incidentally, did you know that the word "scoff" is derived from the great chef?

CavySlaveJambo

Adding Baked beans to stovies makes it more like corned beef hash.

My mince and tatties reciepe is onion (red or white depending on availability), mince (ideally from the butchers in gorgie), carrot, beef stock pot from Knorr.

I also use the same reciepe with steak, in the same order.

Mince (with chopped onion) and Tatties with peas on the side is amazing.

Alternatively turn it into a Cottage Pie with Carrots and Peas cooked through the mince along with the obligitory chopped onion.

Plenty of Pepper and that's it.

Not really that keen on mince and tatties.

Haggis, neeps and tatties though, there's a meal.

An essential with mince and tatties is a nice floury roll with lots of nice unsalted butter on it. Beverage can be either milk or tea depending on personal taste.

Doctor FinnBarr

Being married to a Geordie, mince and tatties comes with mushy peas and Yorkshire pud. And yes, I do mash them together (not the pud of course).

:smiley2:

Being married to a Geordie, mince and tatties comes with mushy peas and Yorkshire pud. And yes, I do mash them together (not the pud of course).

:smiley2:

Do you have mushy peas with your chippy then?

When a kid we had mince and tatties pretty regularly. The left overs either became shepherds pie, or my favourite when the mince and mashed potatos were mixed together made into patties and fried, we called them risoles(sp).

When a kid we had mince and tatties pretty regularly. The left overs either became shepherds pie, or my favourite when the mince and mashed potatos were mixed together made into patties and fried, we called them risoles(sp).

Bob, they sound great

Mince and Tatties is braw.

Carrots, Onions and Mince with loads of bisto and just plain boiled tatties on the side to mash in.

I personally dont mash it all together but for some reason hav a bit of each on the fork.

Reading this thread gave me a real craving for mince and tatties and you can't believe my delight when Mother told me mince and tatties was on the menu.

you can't believe my delight when Mother told me mince and tatties was on the menu.

Norman Bates alert. :peepwall:

It should all be mashed together and always served with doughballs.

Correct...........wi a wee bit HP brown sauce.:2thumbsup:

Was meant to be having them tonight but there's nae tatties, still always tomorrow.

Mince with pasta is an acceptable alternative.

It should all be mashed together and always served with doughballs.

Or stovies served with oatcakes. Mathers at East end used to serve it this way. Agree with good beef dripping being crucial.

My mother at almost 97 years young serves a great plate o mince and tatties. Apologies to the struggle and strife but its one of the main culinary treats, each and every week.

Not really that keen on mince and tatties.

Haggis, neeps and tatties though, there's a meal.

You've obviously not had proper mince a tatties with doughballs then.

One of my reasons for marrying my wife was her mastery of mince and tatties.

Archived