Hallelujah for Leonard Cohen

Malinga the Swinga

Malinga the Swinga

Just how good is the original version of this classic. The covers are wide ranging, and some like J Buckley are very worthy, as is the version by the 4 Norwegian guys in a studio, but nothing is better than the original.

Cohen is an old school song writing master, and puts the younger generation of rip off artists to shame.

Well worth 7 minutes and 4 seconds of anyones time.

BoJack Horseman

Buckley made the song what it is today. All these cover versions are covers of his cover.

I agree with Chairman Mao. Cohens version is very dull.

jamboinglasgow

it worries me that this years x factor song is Dont stop believing by Journey. That song should be uncoverable. Simon Cowell, get a song writer to write your own song for x factor.

As for Hallelujah, I agree Cohen's verson is good but I prefer Buckley's.

Buckley made the song what it is today. All these cover versions are covers of his cover.

Buckley didn't cover Cohen's version, he covered Cale's version. If anybody other than Cohen "made the song what it is today", then technically you should be talking about John Cale.

I P Knightley
Just how good is the original version of this classic. The covers are wide ranging, and some like J Buckley are very worthy, as is the version by the 4 Norwegian guys in a studio, but nothing is better than the original.

Cohen is an old school song writing master, and puts the younger generation of rip off artists to shame.

Well worth 7 minutes and 4 seconds of anyones time.

Funny, I'm just in from a drive and I had Laughing Len on in the car. Great, great songs although it has to be said that many of them get a better airing at the hands of others.

We've had the discussion of Hallelujah before and clearly some people weren't paying attention.

However...

Buckley didn't cover Cohen's version, he covered Cale's version. If anybody other than Cohen "made the song what it is today", then technically you should be talking about John Cale.

bighusref was clearly paying attention at Old Ivanawfyticklikov's knee for the words above are more or less exactly those I contributed to this forum the last few times.

Can I tell the story of how John Cale got a fax from Leonard Cohen with the lyrics to Hallelujah? Again?

Funny, I'm just in from a drive and I had Laughing Len on in the car. Great, great songs although it has to be said that many of them get a better airing at the hands of others.

We've had the discussion of Hallelujah before and clearly some people weren't paying attention.

However...

bighusref was clearly paying attention at Old Ivanawfyticklikov's knee for the words above are more or less exactly those I contributed to this forum the last few times.

Can I tell the story of how John Cale got a fax from Leonard Cohen with the lyrics to Hallelujah? Again?

Oh go on then, I missed it first time round.

Cohen , great writer can't sing for toffee. Even the X-Factor version is better.

Don't know where the Jouney rumour came from, but Cowel on ITV2 on saturday said the song has not been selected, there are a couple of options.

Love all these threads that turn into X - Factor :-)

I P Knightley
Oh go on then, I missed it first time round.

Well, if everyone's sitting quietly, I can make a start.

Once upon a time, John Cale went to a Leonard Cohen concert and...

Look, if you want to hear the story, you have to be quiet and well-behaved. Now, where was I?

Commander Harris

John Cale made it what it is today, Buckley's is a cover of Cale's.

However...

Btw, you were correct in your username, sarcasm is assumed. Please feel free to tell me that any of my other opinions are yours also.:curtain:

I P Knightley
Btw, you were correct in your username, sarcasm is assumed. Please feel free to tell me that any of my other opinions are yours also.:curtain:

No sarcasm at all when it comes to paying homage to Laughing Len's songs.

Hallelujah is a fave of mine in many of its forms (except Bono's) but I'm steadfast and true in my belief that John Cale's version is the daddy of them all.

If you haven't got it and want to hear more good cover versions of Cohen songs, ask Santa for I'm Your Fan, a compilation including Cale's Hallelujah as well as James doing So Long Marianne, Lloyd Cole with Chelsea Hotel, The Pixies and I Can't Forget and R.E.M. on First We Take Manhattan and many more!

Make sure to ask Santa for other stuff as well as not every song on here will be to your liking, but ought to interest you.

Whatever you do, don't ask him for the tribute compilation Tower of Song - it's got Bono murdering Hallelujah. I put my copy in the bin.

If there are any other West Wing fans about, they might remember Jeff Buckleys rendition as a backing to the shooting of a Secret Service agent (CJ's squeeze) in series 3 Epiosode 22 Posse Comitatus.

Brilliant TV writing and acting, even though the circumstances in which he got shot was iffy to say the least, but the song over the visuals was heartbreaking.

If there are any other West Wing fans about, they might remember Jeff Buckleys rendition as a backing to the shooting of a Secret Service agent (CJ's squeeze) in series 3 Epiosode 22 Posse Comitatus.

Brilliant TV writing and acting, even though the circumstances in which he got shot was iffy to say the least, but the song over the visuals was heartbreaking.

Man, I'm only on series 2!:arghh:

Man, I'm only on series 2!:arghh:

If you intend completing the series you've got many enjoyable hours of TV ahead of you.

I won't say what happens, but its not giving much away to say that Bartlett makes it through two terms.

At its best it is some of the best TV going (from either side of the pond) and at its worst it is still watchable, the standard slips when Alan Sorkin (lead writer and director/producer) left, but it's carried by the strength of the ensemble cast.

Enjoy.

(I watched it as it was broadcast and have the DVD's, tend to reveiw them when there's a US presidential election).

I've been soaking up a lot of quality Cohen this week, in the main I'm Your Man and The Future. I think these two albums stand up well against his earlier stuff.

Jennifer Warnes album Famous Blue Raincoat is a fantastic selection of leonards songs. A bonus is that he duets with her on Joan Of Arc.

If you are a Cohen fan at all dont miss listening to it.

I P Knightley
Jennifer Warnes album Famous Blue Raincoat is a fantastic selection of leonards songs. A bonus is that he duets with her on Joan Of Arc.

If you are a Cohen fan at all dont miss listening to it.

I had that, lent it out and never got it back. Can't remember who I lent it to and haven't been able to get my hands on a replacement since.

Good album. It was Jennifer Warnes' backing vocals on the I'm Your Man album that first alerted me to her Cohen-related skills

Archived