If so few people in Scotland want independence...

Guest Bilel Mohsni

About twenty years ago my wife worked for an insurance company in Edinburgh which told staff that if Scotland ever got Independence they would pack up and leave. A few years later they packed up and went. They must have been looking for an excuse.

Scottish and Newcastle Brewers said the same thing to their staff, what ever happened to them?

and I''ve heard of many more stories like that.

A number of businesses will relocate depending upon the tax breaks available to them. This could include relocation to Special Economic Zones or moving to a different country within the EU.

At the moment Scotland has no power over these issues. The SEZ's are set by EU or UK? (not sure), and corporation tax is set by the country government, which in our case is westminster. I know that Scotland (and UK in general) missed out on a lot of investmnet to Ireland because of their 10% corporation tax level.

Independance, or increased powers for Holyrood, would go a long way to redress these 'incentives'.

Era Macaroons
When Scotland went to Argentina for the world cup. There was a referendum for independence. If Scotland done well in that world cup we would have been independent now. As it happened we failed miserably. The amount of government money invested in Glasgow that year is worth looking at.

Personally, whether Scotland is independent or not really wouldn't make that much difference to my life. I think politics are strange and the folk that go into a political career even stranger.

As I said, if folk want independence then go for it, but for pride and pride alone.

Ah,I see what you (and subsequent posters ) are on about,re the Argie thing.

Im open minded about being Independant, it might be a chance to gut the whole system and start afresh.

What does get my goat is folk stating that Scotland doesnt want to be independant without having a referendum on it!

Archived