Munich - Any sightseeing ideas?

Romanov Stole My Pension

Romanov Stole My Pension

I'm heading to Munich for a couple of days next week with one of my mates. Can anyone recommend good places to go? I know it's not oktoberfest but do they still have beer tents and things? Where's the best pint? How expensive is it etc. etc.

Cheers.

Oh and I know this picture is from Munich so was looking forward to having a kick-about there but on google maps it seems to have disappeared (don't know how up to date google maps is).

kamloops-soccer-field.jpg

The People's Chimp

Augustiner are the best brewers in munich. Get into the augustiner bierkeller on marienplatz; totally amazing - traditional drinking food, great beers and the real munich experience. I have to say I'd be hard pushed to be as peshed - happy drunk though - as I was after an afternoon of stein after stein.

Munich is great. I didn't do any sightseeing, other than heading round various bier halles/kellers.

http://www.augustinerkeller.de/

Oh and it will be absolutely baltic so take a hat and gloves and a proper coat.

The Hofbrauhus is a must (hitlers old local), even if it is full of tourists.

The market will be in full swing around the Ratskeller at Marienplatz, and there is an open air bier garden at the opposite side of Marienplatz from the Ratskeller (town hall), next to the old 16th Century(?) church.

Most (in fact all) of the big breweries have there own brauhaus in the city centre - Spaten, Augustiner, Lowenbrau, etc. Not may places stay open late, but the bar I used to frequent in the city centre, open til 2:00am is Killians Irish/Ned Kelly Australian bar. It is located in a corner celler behind the Frauenkirchen (Church of our lady).

If you looking for some culture, the Deutchmuseum is very good.

For food, you've defo got to try the Haxn. It's a big pork knuckle and is very tasty.

And I know you won't be interested, but just in case, the red light district is near the Central station!!

Enjoy.

:2thumbsup:

This place is worth a visit: http://www.filmstadt.de/

Hoffbrauhaus is worth a quick stein or two.

The Walhalla Temple is recommended.

Tourist office has walking tours which include's Hitler's Munich.

If the war/Third Reich is of interest, Perlach Cemetary has Sophie Scholl's grave (she of the anti-Nazi resistance group, the White Rose which defied the misconception that 'Germans didn't know). Dachau is also on Munich's outskirts.

Further afield in Bavaria to the south is Neuschwanstein Castle (you may recognise it from Disney's logo), Berchtesgarten and Salzburg in Austria is 90 minutes away by train as is Nurnberg to the north of Munich.

Romanov Stole My Pension

Thanks for the tips. Really looking forward to some German beer. Might go to that museum just to make me feel as if I've actually done some sight-seeing.

And hugh, my hostel is right beside the central station!!

Thanks for the tips. Really looking forward to some German beer. Might go to that museum just to make me feel as if I've actually done some sight-seeing.

http://www.neweuropetours.eu/

Would recommend the above company for a walking tour of the city. I've used them in Amsterdam, Paris, Berlin and Munich and every time it was an excellent and informative way to see the city. It'll only cost you the price of a tip as there is no official fee.

The Allianz arena is worth going to see whilst in the city, it's on the outskirts but has it's own train station (similar to Edinburgh Park actually) which provides easy access. Both Bayern and 1860 have club shops within the stadium, but whilst Bayern's is all plasma screens and glossy brochures, the 1860 shop is all together more humble! Hence we all came away with some 1860 merchandise...

Almost 40 years old, but the Olympic Stadium is still breathtaking.

Take a trip up the Olympic Tower for fantastic views of the park, BMW headquarters, the city and surrounding countryside.

When I went to Munich about 5 years ago, we took a trip out to Dachau where the concentration camp was - very sobering experience and maybe not something you'd want to do if you're only going to be there for a few days.

I did a cross for my mate to score on that pitch on the hill that you posted :) Was a lovely summers day when we were there though, not freezing cold like it will be in December!

Brian Whittaker's Tache

Went to Munich for my 40th last year (during Oktoberfest)

Deutsche Museum is really impressive and a trip to watch Bayern at the Allianz is a must if their at home

Me and my mate ended up eating here one night http://www.deutsche-eiche.com/ (it wasnt till I saw the big Freddy Mercury portrait that the penny dropped) Waiters are very light on their loafers but the food was great

Munich is my 2nd/3rd fave city in the world. As people have meation the old Bierhaus are a must, hoftbrauhaus is just fecking massive, and the pretzels girls !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If bier is your thing, Most of the Brewerys will run tours, the Paulaner Breweary is well worth a visit, as is the village of Ergnier which is the last stop on the tram.

Nightlife is good, from kiddie pop nightclubs to laid back house clubs which are open til 5 in the morning.

Also the Bayern ground is will worth a visit.

Things to avoid, the **** tours, especially the beer tours ! they charge you 20 euros to go into some bars !

Not sure if the xmas village is set-up already or not, i would think they setup sound tho.

I'm just back from there this afternoon, take your thermals as it's freezing, probably snow in the next few days.

Recommend gong to the Hofbr?uhaus as someone says, most of the beer halls are ace - much better quality beer. Also if you get the chance go see the Allianze Arena - went to see 1860 Munchen on sunday and the ground is terrific, 22 thousand crowd and it was half full - but the noise was immense.

Father Tiresias

Take the train to Garmisch-Partenkirchen, home of one of the ski-jumps used during the 4 Hills ski-jumping event over New Year. I'd imagine that at this time of year it'll look like a Christmas card town.

:10900:

There's a place called Sexyland....does what is says on the tin!! It's actaully a good laugh. We went on a corporate night out after a trade show. Even took along a couple of the girls that worked with us.

Don't be put off by the video booths out front. Just go to the pay booth at the back and you then go into a large room, which is just like any other lapdancing club. The women are usually eastern european and stunning. You can get a few beers in and have a laugh with them.

:2thumbsup:

heartgarfunkel

If the war/Third Reich is of interest, Perlach Cemetary has Sophie Scholl's grave (she of the anti-Nazi resistance group, the White Rose which defied the misconception that 'Germans didn't know). Dachau is also on Munich's outskirts.

Have you ever visited Matt? I know they were buried in a cemetery right next to the prison the day after they were beheaded. Would like to pay my respects if I'm in Munich, but it'll likely be a long weekend so not sure if the trip is 'do-able' in a half day. Cheers

Archived