Wiping a HDD

Markie

Bought a new laptop couple weeks back and now looking into getting rid of my old one.

Are there any programs out there I can use to totally wipe the disc so all my files are non recoverable by anyone??

Bought a new laptop couple weeks back and now looking into getting rid of my old one.

Are there any programs out there I can use to totally wipe the disc so all my files are non recoverable by anyone??

Darik's Boot and Nuke. Be careful though. http://www.dban.org/

If you really want to make sure, then taking the drive apart and applying an angle grinder to the platters will do the trick.

Should have added that ideally the hdd is still usable after!

Ah, perhaps best to forget the angle grinder idea then... :stuart:

Looks like I mis-spelt shot tonight above!

I was wondering what you planned to do to it tonight. :smiley2: Remember to ensure that you've backed up all the data you want to beforehand, and remember that there will be nothing left on the disk (if you nuke all data on all partitions) so if you sell it then you may have to reload an operating system on to it in order to make it more palatable for the buyer.

I was wondering what you planned to do to it tonight. :smiley2: Remember to ensure that you've backed up all the data you want to beforehand, and remember that there will be nothing left on the disk (if you nuke all data on all partitions) so if you sell it then you may have to reload an operating system on to it in order to make it more palatable for the buyer.

Everything's on the new laptop anyway and I have my recovery disc somewhere

Archived