Phone/Broadband Help

Phone/broadband help

Hi folks, I?d appreciate any advice.

A couple of months ago my home phone stopped working and my broadband speed went down from approx 7mbps to approx 1 mbps. It?s been like that even since.

They are both connected to the same socket and the broadband is on and adsl cable. The phone is connected to a normal extension socket.

I tried plugging the phone in directly to the socket, but it doesn?t work either. I know it?s not the phone that?s faulty as I?ve tested it elsewhere

Any ideas?

Cheers

Call your ISP, it sounds as though it could be a line issue, and if your ISP are any good, they will hopefully contact BT.

Don't accept any drivel about using the internet at peak times and insist that they fix the line!

Phone/broadband help

Hi folks, I?d appreciate any advice.

A couple of months ago my home phone stopped working and my broadband speed went down from approx 7mbps to approx 1 mbps. It?s been like that even since.

They are both connected to the same socket and the broadband is on and adsl cable. The phone is connected to a normal extension socket.

I tried plugging the phone in directly to the socket, but it doesn?t work either. I know it?s not the phone that?s faulty as I?ve tested it elsewhere

Any ideas?

Cheers

Who is your ISP?

Virgin is the ISP and I use BT for my phone.

The last time I had a problem they both washed their hands of it and each said I should call the other.

Virgin is the ISP and I use BT for my phone.

The last time I had a problem they both washed their hands of it and each said I should call the other.

You must be a mellow dude FB ? if your house phone hasn't worked for a couple of months and you're not that fussed ??

If the phone ain't working either then you clearly have a genuine LINE problem as opposed to just slow BB speeds, which can be a b****d to get someone to take 'ownership' of

Anyway. Is the phone / BB modem plugged into the one and only socket in the house or do you have more sockets ?

Report your phone as dead first of all as it's BTs responsibility to get that fixed. Provided you dont have any dodgy wiring / attachments in the house...and the carpet fitters haven't been in and cut into anything :th_o: then BT should fix it free of charge. If you phone BT they will probably ask you to unplug anything else and just put the phone in the 'master' socket. If it doesn't work there then there is a wiring problem, either in the house / outside / or in the Exchange.... that's sapping the line power or something like that :clover:

You must be a mellow dude FB ? if your house phone hasn't worked for a couple of months and you're not that fussed ??

If the phone ain't working either then you clearly have a genuine LINE problem as opposed to just slow BB speeds, which can be a b****d to get someone to take 'ownership' of

Anyway. Is the phone / BB modem plugged into the one and only socket in the house or do you have more sockets ?

Report your phone as dead first of all as it's BTs responsibility to get that fixed. Provided you dont have any dodgy wiring / attachments in the house...and the carpet fitters haven't been in and cut into anything :th_o: then BT should fix it free of charge. If you phone BT they will probably ask you to unplug anything else and just put the phone in the 'master' socket. If it doesn't work there then there is a wiring problem, either in the house / outside / or in the Exchange.... that's sapping the line power or something like that :clover:

Just to add to that, don't talk to BT too much about your broadband being dodgy as well - it just gets the poor darlings confused and give them an excuse to pass the buck on. Also, when they get you to plug the phone into the master socket to check the line (they will need you to plug in a phone that gets its power from the line itself, not from a power socket), make sure that you do this properly. If they come out and find out that there's dodgy wiring coming off from the master socket, or that the line to the master socket is actually fine, then they could well charge you.

Thamsk for the advice guys. The last time I had a problem neither BT nor Virgin would take responsibility so I'll keep quiet about broadband.

I've tried a phone in the master socket and no joy. I've also had BT out in the past and they charged me ?130 for 1/2 hours work, so I defo want to make sure I'm a bit prepared before I get in touch with them.

Btw I'm not mellow, just not popular enough for people to want phone me :10900:

I destest BT's technical support.

They have out-sourced all of their broadband support to India and the agents don't have the technical knowledge or language skills to be truly helpful. I can see the point in out-sourcing simple things like billing and complaints but complex things like technical support is insanity and is so damn frustrating for the customer.

Any way, you could try what one of my mates told me.

If you open up the main socket which is likely to be the one in your living room, you'll find another socket inside the box. This is called the test socket. Try plugging your broadband router directly into this. From that, they can tell where the problem lies.

My folks had a problem like your one.

BT informed them if the problem wasnt there resposibility as said before they would charge an arm and a leg. After a trying new sockets, phones etc.. they eventually got BT out to check the line. Turned out everything in the house worked fine, just BT had given their phone number to another customer.

My folks had a problem like your one.

BT informed them if the problem wasnt there resposibility as said before they would charge an arm and a leg. After a trying new sockets, phones etc.. they eventually got BT out to check the line. Turned out everything in the house worked fine, just BT had given their phone number to another customer.

:10900:

That's not in 'the script' of course............and the guy on the end would probably have tested the line and the automatic system would have said it's ok. A quick ring and a chorus of "who are you.........who are you" might have solved the mystery a bit quicker though !

I used to work for them :curtain: and many years ago I had a case of mistaken identity myself ?

I was fecking about in the Exchange swapping over the numbers of 2 customers who had moved into each others council houses. I rang customer A and got ...........NOT her, not even customer B - but a third customer C :hat2:

Needless to say I hung up quickly. I checked the line wiring info once more and after much head scratching and testing I rang again - same wrong number ?

I rang for one last time and just as the wifey confidently announced the last digit of her phone number she suddenly stopped.... " eh...........no it's no, this is my daughter's house and I'm here baby sitting" :rifle:

Archived