No Money for New Players for 3 Years....

Charlie-Brown

Charlie-Brown

Interesting article in todays record that Wiggy Milne expects Mr Magoo to deliver on Aberdeen's ambition without spending any money on transfer fees for the next 3 years.....tbh I think this will become the norm at most SPL clubs over the coming seasons.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/football/spl/2009/11/25/aberdeen-chairman-stewart-milne-tells-mark-mcghee-bring-success-to-pittodrie-without-spending-a-penny-86908-21848492/

Aberdeen chairman Stewart Milne tells Mark McGhee: Bring success to Pittodrie without spending a penny

Nov 25 2009 Ian Orr

MARK McGhee has been warned he must deliver Aberdeen's ambitions without spending a penny on transfers.

With debts of around ?9million and funding to be found for a new ?30m stadium the Pittodrie club can't come up with the cash to back their boss.

But chairman Stewart Milne still expects the Dons to be among the top four clubs in the country, qualify for Europe and capture a trophy.

The mega millionaire said: "Mark's has a football budget to work to for the next three years.

"Those are new funds and will not be affected by the financing of the new stadium.

"Within that there is no major expenditure for paying out transfer fees but that is a reality within the Scottish game. It's not just something that applies to Aberdeen because everyone is in the same boat.

"It is the best we could come up with given the state Scottish football is in. The next couple of years will be extremely tough for everyone in the game.

"We have put everything in place to enable the manager to steer us through this difficult period but that is subject to change.

"We want to see Aberdeen as one of the clubs competing at the top end of Scottish football. We want to have a regular presence in Europe and be getting to the final stages of the cup competitions.

"And we believe the club is capable of finishing in the top three or four most seasons, being in Europe, occasionally getting to a final and occasionally winning a cup.

"Nothing has changed in our ambitions but we realise it is going to take Marksome time to reshape the squad. He has to get the approach he wants to instil at the club but we are pleased with the progress he is making. Inan ideal world we would all love to see some of the draws being turned into wins but it is there to be seen he is making steady progress in shaping the side the way he wants it to play.

"The feedback I get is the fans like the way he has set the team up ." Milne has endured a torrid time sincehe took control of Aberdeen from the Donald dynasty 13 years ago, sacking six managers in a quest to bring back success.

Roy Aitken, Paul Hegarty and Neil Cooper, Alex Miller, Ebbe Skovdahl and Steve Paterson were all handed the P45s.

The last was Jimmy Calderwood whom the Pittodrie board decided to dismiss before he led his side back into Europe by finishing fourth in the SPL with a last-day victory over Hibs.

Milne, though, is going nowhere. He said: "The main talking point in the past year was having to part with a manager which is always a difficult thing to do.

"It's on record we recognised what Jimmy did for us. He left a much more solid base than the one he inherited but the board felt it was the right time to change.

"Some people might be happy if I stepped down as chairman but I haven't even considered leaving. I remain absolutely committed to the club and getting the new stadium built."

But Milne admitted sourcing the money to develop the project at Loirston by 2013 would be tough although failure to complete it would have "frightening" consequences for his club.

He said: "If we didn't believe it could be delivered we wouldn't be putting all this time and money into it. But there is a huge challenge in finding the funds and wedon't have all the answers to that one.

"There is no guarantee at this stage we will be able to do it but we will give it our best shot. If we don't it will have serious repercussions for the club and it will be very difficult for Aberdeen to remain a force in Scottish football.

"It's frightening to have to admit it. Unless we relocate we will face major problems. The thought of what will happen if we fail is something I'drather not think about.

"Getting this stadium built is probably the biggest challenge I have faced since becoming chairman.

"There are five major elements which have to be driven through over the next twoyears to make it happen.

"We have to finalise the design, get all the land assembled to have the space to build what we want, nail down costs to the lowest possible levels then come up with the funding package to enable us to pull the trigger and proceed.

"We also have to get the best possible deal to redevelop the Pittodrie site."

A condition of their refinancing was that they have to sell Pit Tawdry by March 2011. Their saviour - the mythical Community Stadium - is not going to be built, so a time frame of 3 years is laughable as they'll be bust well within that. :10900: :10900: :10900:

I can't wait for that to happen. :2thumbsup:

Hmmm, interesting.

With no land for their new stadium, no designs for it, no planning permission, no finance, a skint Council, and no deal for the sale of Pitoddrie, and three years tops... ...they're in deep poo.

Their situation's worse than ours. :blink:

Nice to see we aren't the only ones who are skint :laugh:

We're actually in a better position than them as we -for the moment at least - have funding from a bank within the same commercial group and did not sign an agreement to sell our stadium.

RIP Aberdeen. :10900: :10900: :10900:

Archived