Can you live without a bank?

Seats

In light of the bank threads floating around at the moment, it has come to my attention that quite a few places will not accept cash as a form of payment. As far as I am aware, very few people are actually paid in cash these days and most of us transact everything bigger than a basic purchase through debit or credit cards (even cheques seem to be dying). Are the banks now controlling our lives? is this the new form of "big brother" monitoring our every move? and more importantly, could we rebel and live without having a bank account if we really wanted to? (and still lead a normal life)

Some organiztions won't pay your wages unless it is directly into a bank account so I don't think you can live without one. I'm quite tempted to give it a go though.

I would say no, unless the banks started being open 24 hours, inc weekends

Sorry, don't understand why would you need a bank if you were living without one?

In light of the bank threads floating around at the moment, it has come to my attention that quite a few places will not accept cash as a form of payment. As far as I am aware, very few people are actually paid in cash these days and most of us transact everything bigger than a basic purchase through debit or credit cards (even cheques seem to be dying). Are the banks now controlling our lives? is this the new form of "big brother" monitoring our every move? and more importantly, could we rebel and live without having a bank account if we really wanted to? (and still lead a normal life)

I was pondering this very thing about an hour ago after hearing about the failed attempt to investigate bank charges.

My flatmate managed without one in Pakistan until he came over here for uni. He actually came over with 7 grand in cash in his suitcase at the start of his 1st year.

He eventually had to set up an account because the university wouldn't let him pay his fees in cash.

Archived