Is Sectarianism In Scotland Really That Bad ?

Sydney from Sydney

Sydney from Sydney

Here's an extract from the Herald from a report on sectarianism in the work place in Scotland. At first I thought this must be made up and showed it to a couple of work colleagues. Anyone ??

One example given by a participant was said to have taken place in the past five years in a well-off area where a house was on fire.

The report said: "Initially the houseowner refused to allow all personnel of the fire service to enter because he did not allow Catholics in his house. The leading fire officer in attendance, who was a Protestant, insisted that unless all of his crew were allowed to enter, no-one would go in to extinguish the fire."

Here's an extract from the Herald from a report on sectarianism in the work place in Scotland. At first I thought this must be made up and showed it to a couple of work colleagues. Anyone ??

One example given by a participant was said to have taken place in the past five years in a well-off area where a house was on fire.

The report said: "Initially the houseowner refused to allow all personnel of the fire service to enter because he did not allow Catholics in his house. The leading fire officer in attendance, who was a Protestant, insisted that unless all of his crew were allowed to enter, no-one would go in to extinguish the fire."

There are people on this board who seem to be of a like mind.

Depressing, but parts of Scotland are inhabited by the most hideously ignorant people who seem to think that murderous bigotry is part of their "culture" that they should be proud of.

Should have just let his house burn to the ground. Am sure his insurance wouldn't have covered him if he refused access to fire brigade. How would you know what religion a fireman/woman is with them wearing there gear? Wonder if he would have said the same thing if it was a couple policemen at his door? Unfortunatly this behaviour is not exclusive to the west of Scotland

_42451349_donaldfindlaysmokin203.jpg

He must have dropped his pipe.

Just a quick question.

By what percentage do you think all bigotry in Scotland is connected to the old firm ?

I'll have a guess and say 90% of bigoted aggression (verbal or physical) is carried out in the name of the old firm.

Make Scotland a safer place to live, Shut the old firm down .

thats not a example of sectarianism thats a example of mental illness

Just a quick question.

By what percentage do you think all bigotry in Scotland is connected to the old firm ?

I'll have a guess and say 90% of bigoted aggression (verbal or physical) is carried out in the name of the old firm.

Make Scotland a safer place to live, Shut the old firm down .

agreed

An 11-year study into Racism in Australia by a collaboration of Australian universities found that 85 per cent of Australians acknowledge racial prejudice occurs in the nation with one in five claiming to be a victim of racist verbal abuse or related incidents.

I dont think it is as bad as what it is made out to be, I mean it all stems from the football at the end off the day. 100,000 people go to these games and i would guess it is a small % off these fans are sectarian at the games. so when you then look at it within the population of Scotland is it really that bad??

Think sometimes the media make it worse than it is made out to be.

chester copperpot

Coming from the weeg, I would say it is still pretty rife, and sad with it.

My wee bro got his daughter christened catholic (his missus is catholic, he is protestant), and I had to sit next to my father in law at the ceremony, to listen to him hum rangers tunes under his breath, and mutter the odd 'Fenion' comment under his breath.

A few of the family members from my wee bro's side did not attend, as they would not set foot in a Chapel.

Sad, but true. Most folk I know in Glasgow, treat it as a bit of a joke, and make comments as a laugh. Not funny I know, but most treat it this way.

The ones who avoid contact with the opposite faith or hate someone because of their religion etc are the more worrying ones.

Coming from the weeg, I would say it is still pretty rife, and sad with it.

My wee bro got his daughter christened catholic (his missus is catholic, he is protestant), and I had to sit next to my father in law at the ceremony, to listen to him hum rangers tunes under his breath, and mutter the odd 'Fenion' comment under his breath.

A few of the family members from my wee bro's side did not attend, as they would not set foot in a Chapel.

Sad, but true. Most folk I know in Glasgow, treat it as a bit of a joke, and make comments as a laugh. Not funny I know, but most treat it this way.

The ones who avoid contact with the opposite faith or hate someone because of their religion etc are the more worrying ones.

I think these are the ones who seriously need to have a word with themself!! Dont get me wrong there are people who i do not lke but i wouldnt go as far as to say i would avoid them!!

I still dont think it is as bad as people make out to be but its a sad world that we live in if what you are saying is true.

I P Knightley
An 11-year study into Racism in Australia by a collaboration of Australian universities found that 85 per cent of Australians acknowledge racial prejudice occurs in the nation with one in five claiming to be a victim of racist verbal abuse or related incidents.

11 years?

That's a cushy gig.

The 85% is inconsequential. It's like using a stat that 100% of people know that Princess Di died to imply that 100% of people were behind her death. (Which... in a way... we were :))

20% being a victim of racial abuse is really quite staggering if you consider that it's more likely that the victims of abuse are in the minority in the country. That 20% of the population will work out to be over 40% (probably much more) of the folk likely to be victimised.

I wish I was an Australian academic. I could have eked those two paragraphs out to a good 3 years of funding.

A regular at my local of weeg descent lost the plot when asked to remove his rangers scarf even though there were loads of boys in maroon. Bar owners a jambo. Fair play? Was funny, but got me thinking at the time. Should "no colours" be at the bars discretion?

Guest Bilel Mohsni

Ridiculous and depressing part is...

Watched the news last night and they were talking to people from both backgrounds in N.Ireland and to a man woman and child they all just wanted the people responsible for terrorism on both sides to just stop and let them live normal lives... Then you look at all the plastic Paddies and plastic-Ulstermen over here in Scotland and it just makes you wonder if these idiots who are determined to keep the flames fanned through nonsensical ned-like behaviour and sectarianism from the safety of their nice streets and cozy pubs would have the guts to go over there and start spouting their p!sh?

I for one very much doubt it... Easy to be the big man and condone terrorism and bigotry from the safety of your nice comfortable Scottish neighbourhood eh?

No time for either lot and I still get a wee laugh at the story of the Celtic fans going to the Scotland v Ireland game at Hampden and sitting with the Irish and getting laughed at and slagged by the real Irishmen who were there when they started singing their pathetic little songs of hate.

Both sides of the weegie stupidity divide are laughed at by most of the people involved in the real troubles and noone wants there cowardly interferance from afar.

I think it depends on where about you come from in Scotland.

Falkirk is very bigotted IMO.Catholics are the minority.I've heard plenty of sick things here due to religion,people disowning daughters because they married a catholic,then grandchildren after that,etc.

It is still pretty rife, I got an email from a salesman the other day which started "Hello, hello D........"

Sad but true.

Sterling Archer

My gf's families from just outside glasgow and we were down there this weekend. Was talking to her sister's bf and he was saying there's a guy in their area called Roddy the Proddy and that this idiot's actually named his little girl Sasha, i mean come on, grow the **** up

Snake Plissken

I grew up in Moray and barely heard a whisper of anything Sectarian - when I moved to Stirling I heard/saw a little bit (mostly at football).

The most actively sectarian person I ever met the the step father of the ex girlfriend who was a Celtic fan. The guy was a caricature of a human being, if I hadn't met him myself I would have found it hard to believe such people existed. Everything was sellik this and kaflik that - a typical weegie living up to that particular stereotype.

I would say it is mostly a Glasgow thing in my own personal experience and for the most part is just talk or acting the arse at a football match. My guess is only a very small percentage of people actually, genuinely think that way.

Craig Gordons Gloves

My family roots on my mum's side are from the Wishaw/Larkhall area (grandparents are both buried in Larkhall cemetary). While i'm fortunate in that my parents didn't really give 2 hoots if someone was catholic, protestant etc i still remember my grans funeral and one of her very close friends for 40 years, didnt feel able to come to the graveside after church - his reason - he was catholic and didn't feel comfiortable being in Larkhall at that time. The date of the funeral - July 12th.

I've worked and lived in Glasgow for quite a few years and i'm still astounded by the sectarianism that goes on in workplaces - and most of it is actually pretty blatant.

I was listening to the Off the Ball podcast and they had a tattoo removal girl on - she said that she had recently done work on a nurse at GRI who wanted her celtic tattoo removed (it was on her wrist) as she had been victim of a couple of assaults by patients that she was treating!!

Sydney from Sydney
An 11-year study into Racism in Australia by a collaboration of Australian universities found that 85 per cent of Australians acknowledge racial prejudice occurs in the nation with one in five claiming to be a victim of racist verbal abuse or related incidents.[/quote

I think all countries have their racial problems but by and large Australia handles things quite well. Our indigenous people are often left behind and bigger efforts have to be made to tackle issues such as shorter life expectancy than mainstream Australia, just as you have the same problems in areas of Glasgow where life expectancy and quality of life falls way below the European average. The thought of someone's house on fire and the house owner barring entry to firemen who might be catholics is just plain funny though. Tragic but funny. Just consider this guy probably has mates who are every bit as bigoted/ignorant as he is. And they're probably breeding.

Stupid Sexy Flanders

There is nowt funnier than people taking the whole Tim/Proddy thing seriously, when in reality it's got very little to do with us in Scotland. As a previous poster said, the people in Ireland just want to get on with things and leave all that nonsense behind, so why are Scottish people so keen to carry it on?!

I know of a Hun from Alloa who regularly goes to "Flute Parties", (similar to the one posted on here the other day, HMFB was it?), and has a Red Hand tattoed on one arm and "FGAU" on the other. Does this make him some kind of "Freedom Fighter" or something? No, it makes him an unintentionally hilarious idiot.If we all stopped taking these people so seriously, we'd all be much happier.

Having been brought up in Furryboots City here in the north, I have to admit that I didn't experience an ounce of sectarianism as a child. Seriously, as kids we couldn't give two hoots about our religion and that of other folks. It was a shock the first time I went down to Glasgow and experienced an orange march and the reactions of the marchers and the bystanders. It was like being on a different planet. Now that I know more of the true extent of sectarianism in this country, particularly in the west, I have to say that it gets my goat that this is still continuing in this day and age, although I do understand why the intolerance and hatred has evolved as it has, given our history, both independently and in conjunction with our close neighbour Ireland. But, the truth is, it's simply holding our country back. We need to get rid of it.

Perhaps the first step should be to get rid of state run RC schools. I grew up in a village in West Lothian and whilst I was not overly conscious of sectarianism, our friends were dictated by who went to our school. We never played with the guys who went to the RC school, even though some of them lived pretty close. Fortunately, as most of us grew up, we realised this was stupid, but there are still a minority who don't associate with the "other lot". I don't think it is the be all and end all, but I think it would make a difference to have fully integrated schools - especially these days!

Perhaps the first step should be to get rid of state run RC schools. I grew up in a village in West Lothian and whilst I was not overly conscious of sectarianism, our friends were dictated by who went to our school. We never played with the guys who went to the RC school, even though some of them lived pretty close. Fortunately, as most of us grew up, we realised this was stupid, but there are still a minority who don't associate with the "other lot". I don't think it is the be all and end all, but I think it would make a difference to have fully integrated schools - especially these days!

I agree. Our education system should be fully secular, which would also mean that religious teaching would be removed from schools, except for the objective teaching of world beliefs and religions.

Archived