Red Baron/Poowhacker/Schumi

Cade

Correct me if I'm wrong but he's linking up with Braun to replace Button. (well that's what the news said anyway)

Correct me if I'm wrong but he's linking up with Braun to replace Button. (well that's what the news said anyway)

Exactly. Ross Brawn and Schumi have a long history of success. No surprise really he is being linked with there.

chester copperpot

You're not wrong, I'm pleased to announce.

I've heard Michael Schumacher makes a damn good baked potato.

Don't shoot the messenger.

Mince

Wrapped in foil and jammed between the exhaust pipes for an hour as he drives around. Perfect tatties.

• 1 month later...
Say What Again
Nope, rumour has it that he may sign for the new Mercedes team.

Confirmed

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/motorsport/formula_one/8427552.stm

Seven-times Formula 1 world champion Michael Schumacher has come out of retirement and signed for Mercedes.

The German, who will be 41 on 3 January, was unveiled at the Mercedes factory in Brackley, Northamptonshire.

Schumacher will partner compatriot Nico Rosberg in the team that won the drivers' and constructors' titles in 2009 in its former guise as Brawn.

"After three years I have the energy back and I'm ready for some serious stuff," said Schumacher.

In an exclusive interview with the BBC he added: "I'm very motivated, thrilled and excited.

"I want to have fun out there and I feel as fresh as ever. I've recharged myself after a three-year break.

"The challenge is what I look for - I want to know it."

Schumacher retired at the end of 2006 but will now return to the sport he dominated after signing a three-year deal with Mercedes.

He will reportedly earn ?6.2m after reuniting with Mercedes team principal Ross Brawn, who masterminded all seven of his titles, the first two with Benetton in 1994-5 and the subsequent five with Ferrari from 2000-4.

Schumacher was forced to call off a planned temporary comeback as a stand-in for injured Ferrari driver Felipe Massa in the summer because of a neck injury sustained in a motorcycle accident last February.

But Schumacher recently underwent medical checks and is confident he is back to full fitness.

"I wouldn't have entered all of this if I wasn't confident," Schumacher explained.

"That confidence comes from some serious training with my neck to make sure it can withstand what it couldn't in the summer.

"There is no further issue with the neck - 100%."

This summer Schumacher signed a revised contract as a consultant for Ferrari, but the Italian team have had to release him from his contract to enable him to race for the "Silver Arrows".

Schumacher revealed that it was Ferrari's request for him to fill in for Massa that sparked a desire to make a permanent return to the cockpit.

"It initiated something that I didn't know was there before," he conceded.

"I really didn't feel like it was what I wanted when Ferrari asked me but when I felt the responsibility I thought I ought to do it.

"What Ferrari initiated has triggered what you see right now.

"I have to say it's been a tough to leave the Ferrari family, which has been a big part of my career."

Schumacher revealed he had spoken to Brawn in November about a potential return to F1 and that the return of the Mercedes name to F1 proved the final persuasion.

"I got a call from Ross asking me to race again, telling me Mercedes were going to be involved," added Schumacher.

"The only reason I came back was because of old friends at Mercedes. I spent years trying to get into F1 with Mercedes but it wasn't possible before.

"I hope I'll be judged by what I've done before but Mercedes is a strong partner and I'm thrilled to be back."

Mercedes have completely changed their driver line-up following world champion Jenson Button's departure to McLaren and Rubens Barrichello's move to Williams.

The team are known to want German rising star Sebastian Vettel in the long term, but the 22-year-old is contracted to Red Bull until the end of 2012.

Rosberg signed for Mercedes shortly after the season and, after weeks of speculation, Schumacher arrives as his high-profile team-mate.

"We are incredibly excited by Michael Schumacher," said Brawn.

"He is the best judge of what he can do. He told me he can do it so I'm very confident.

"I have absolute trust in him. He'll do the job."

Brawn added that Button's decision to leave the team led to his pursuit of Schumacher.

"Jenson was not pushed," stated Brawn. "We have loyalty to Jenson but when that became difficult we started talking to Michael."

Schumacher's comeback is the most high profile in F1 since Austrian Niki Lauda came out of a two-year retirement for the 1982 season to race for McLaren.

Lauda, who was 33 at the time, went on to win a third world title in 1984.

Juan Manuel Fangio is Formula 1's oldest world champion, the Argentine won a fifth world championship at the age of 46 before retiring.

Nigel Mansell won the 1994 Australian Grand Prix at the age of 41, having stepped in as a substitute for Williams for four races following the death of Ayrton Senna.

Now, Schumacher has said that he intends to make a glorious comeback by challenging for the 2010 world championship.

"I have won the title seven times and the team won both titles last year, so what do you expect," said Schumacher, who has broken almost every major record in the sport.

Michael Schumacher and principal aerodynamicist John Owen

Schumacher flew into the UK to visit the Mercedes factory

"Now Mercedes are team owners you cannot expect anything else other than the world title.

"That is what we aim for but we have to deliver and that is our job.

"Honestly I can't wait until the 1 February when we will officially run the car."

Schumacher's decision brings his career to a neat conclusion - Mercedes, for whom he was racing in sportscars at the time, paid for his F1 debut with Jordan in 1991 but he has never raced for them in F1.

Mercedes pulled out of F1 in 1955 after winning back-to-back titles with Juan Manuel Fangio.

SCHUMACHER STATS & FACTS

Team:

Mercedes

Team-mate:

Nico Rosberg

Previous teams: Jordan, Benetton, Ferrari

Nationality: German

Born: 03/01/1969, H?rth-Herm?lheim

Grand Prix debut: Belgium, 1991

World championships: 7 (1994, '95, 2000, '01, 02, '03, '04)

All-time records: 7 drivers' championships; 248 grand prix starts; 91 race wins; 68 pole positions; 154 podium finishes

Say What Again

Any of the F1 fans think he can win it?

A guy told me today he fancies him to do it but I'm not sure (or knowledgeable enough on the sport). A few years out and granted the current championship winning team - but didn't the others catch Brawn up a bit after their great start?

A guy told me today he fancies him to do it but I'm not sure (or knowledgeable enough on the sport). A few years out and granted the current championship winning team - but didn't the others catch Brawn up a bit after their great start?

I wouldn't write him off. He's won all of his championships with Ross Brawn as team boss. However since Ferrari had all of their success with him teams have struggled to put two good seasons in a row together. However Brawn now has serious cash behind him from Mercedes. I think it all comes down to how much preseason he can get in. And how quickly he gets his racing head back on, being quick in practice is very different from having another 20 odd guys buzzing around you.

He definately can win it but it depends whether the Merc engine is any good. Plus he's up against some good drivers in good cars. McLaren, Ferrari and Red Bull all have quality drivers. But if Mercedes does what it did last year(under Brawn) then there could be no stopping him.

Jam Tarts 1874

He must have watched Jenson Bottom becoming a world champion and realised that the standard has dropped a fair bit since he was driving.

He definately can win it but it depends whether the Merc engine is any good. Plus he's up against some good drivers in good cars. McLaren, Ferrari and Red Bull all have quality drivers. But if Mercedes does what it did last year(under Brawn) then there could be no stopping him.

Considering the merc engine is powering Mclaren then if the engines no good, another 2 drivers are out the equation.

depends a lot on how much work Brawn were able to do between mid - late last season. If they weren't able to do much they may be playing catchup with Mclaren at the start of the season.

But yeah he could win the championship, depends how much he wants it.

The Old Tolbooth

God, I could have had an exclusive here as the guy in the garage told me this yesterday from his pal who works with the Mercedes team, but as I hate this laughable sport I didn't think it was exactly ground breaking news :wacko:

He must have watched Jenson Bottom becoming a world champion and realised that the standard has dropped a fair bit since he was driving.

Your not wrong there, good to see Schumi back should be good season ahead. Might even think about a trip to Silverstone next year done 6 years in a row down there biggest cheer I heard was when M S broke his leg.

maltese jambo

If a driver like button can win it in a quality car like the Mercedes (Brawn) then Schumi has to be in with a shout.

Brawn stopped development on their 2009 car about half way through the season and started work on the 2010 car. Should put them in a good place come the start of the season.

Archived