Tynie game early - Rugger straight after ... a social experiment ...

jambovambo

And no, I'm not going to both, but on the back of the pulled "are you a posh jambo?" thread ... tomorrow is the first instance for a while of a localised clash of sporting cultures ...

Any thoughts on e.g. the Diggers tomorrow ? Busy, one way or another.

I remember in the 70s going to a Hearts v Sheep game at Tynie, and some Taffies stumbled in, apparently so peshed they didn't realise it wasn't Murrayfield ... same colour of scarves, easy mistake to make etc ...

As I remember, we lost 1-4, with Ernie W getting ours. I may be wrong.

marshallschunkychicken
And no, I'm not going to both, but on the back of the pulled "are you a posh jambo?" thread ... tomorrow is the first instance for a while of a localised clash of sporting cultures ...

Any thoughts on e.g. the Diggers tomorrow ? Busy, one way or another.

I remember in the 70s going to a Hearts v Sheep game at Tynie, and some Taffies stumbled in, apparently so peshed they didn't realise it wasn't Murrayfield ... same colour of scarves, easy mistake to make etc ...

As I remember, we lost 1-4, with Ernie W getting ours. I may be wrong.

I went to the Edinburgh game straight from the game against Falkirk earlier this season. Great day.

There was a Scotland game on the same day as a Hearts game a couple of years ago too, as Diggers was about 25% rugby fans that day.

I the days when 3:00 p.m. kick-offs were immutable, the rugby internationals would k.o. at 2:30, I think, meaning there was a lot of cultural crossing in the pubs.

I know - hard to believe it was always 3:00 p.m. k.o.

I'M IBRAHIM TALL

I have expressed my utter contempt for rugby in here a few times and been accused of being a witless prole so I shall refrain today. Whilst its fairly obvious that not all the people who go to watch rugby are chinless wonders, it is fair to say Edinburgh is festooned with people who come into the centre of town approx. 5 teams a year yet still believe they run the place. You would think people who's education cost 35k per term would at least be able to get their head round the queue and round sytems in the pub.

I appreciate our established routine of playing at Tynecastle every second week cant be taken into account when the SRU organise their latest shoeing. They obviously have to invite teams over here long before the SPL fixtures are announced. Apparently the SRU organise up to 3 years in advance to invite teams over to give the FP's a good dicking.

My mind goes back to Stephane Adam's hat trick against Killie in the cup winning season when our game was shifted to the Sunday to accomodate the grouse beaters. Another result like that would be fantastic (or should I say a MIRACLE). I just wouldnt fancy being one of the guys from Manchester or London Hearts having to leave at the break of dawn to see it.

I would like to think some kind of rota system could be introduced whereabout the SRU are asked to change their kick off next time to fit into OUR schedule

Surprised that in all the refinements of the league fixtures before the start of the season that L&Bs finest don't request that HMFC home fixtures avoid such a clash with the rugby internationals. Particularly given such absurdities as being at home once in all of October.

They come into the Diggers a few times a year and act like they own the place.

Can't say that those people impress me at all.

Snobs.

mulleted_jambo
I have expressed my utter contempt for rugby in here a few times and been accused of being a witless prole so I shall refrain today. Whilst its fairly obvious that not all the people who go to watch rugby are chinless wonders, it is fair to say Edinburgh is festooned with people who come into the centre of town approx. 5 teams a year yet still believe they run the place. You would think people who's education cost 35k per term would at least be able to get their head round the queue and round sytems in the pub.

I appreciate our established routine of playing at Tynecastle every second week cant be taken into account when the SRU organise their latest shoeing. They obviously have to invite teams over here long before the SPL fixtures are announced. Apparently the SRU organise up to 3 years in advance to invite teams over to give the FP's a good dicking.

My mind goes back to Stephane Adam's hat trick against Killie in the cup winning season when our game was shifted to the Sunday to accomodate the grouse beaters. Another result like that would be fantastic (or should I say a MIRACLE). I just wouldnt fancy being one of the guys from Manchester or London Hearts having to leave at the break of dawn to see it.

I would like to think some kind of rota system could be introduced whereabout the SRU are asked to change their kick off next time to fit into OUR schedule

Surel;y a 2pm Kick off would have been fine and nobody would have been put out that much.

I'm more annoyed at missing the Livepool Man City game than anything else.

Rugby is for big brutal homosexual toffs. It should get tae. A lunch time K.O is terrible, especially when I will be missing Man City PWN Liverpool.

Rugby is for big brutal homosexual toffs. It should get tae. A lunch time K.O is terrible, especially when I will be missing Man City PWN Liverpool.

It's for big lumbering, marble mouthed, tan cord wearing, waistcoat & jeans wearing, trench coats for all the family wearng, rude, upper class wannabe *****!

mulleted_jambo
It's for big lumbering, marble mouthed, tan cord wearing, waistcoat & jeans wearing, trench coats for all the family wearng, rude, upper class wannabe *****!

Not a fan then :-D

Does anyone mind the 1986/87 scottish cup quarter final against Celtic at Tynie? 1-0 with a cracking free kick from Robbo 10 mins from time... Scotland also beat Ireland at Murrayfield the same afternoon..there was no 12.30 KO then. That was a great day..one of my fondest memories as a kid really! A perfect Saturday :10900:

winston churchill
They come into the Diggers a few times a year and act like they own the place.

Can't say that those people impress me at all.

Snobs.

do they take over the kickback office.

Does anyone mind the 1986/87 scottish cup quarter final against Celtic at Tynie? 1-0 with a cracking free kick from Robbo 10 mins from time... Scotland also beat Ireland at Murrayfield the same afternoon..there was no 12.30 KO then. That was a great day..one of my fondest memories as a kid really! A perfect Saturday :10900:

Yup, always remember that game - was my first match i went to at tynecastle. :2thumbsup:

Was that a 4pm kick-off?

I recall something along those lines - I certainly remember the 'Hibs are oot the cup' either at half time or early in the 2nd half.

Yup, always remember that game - was my first match i went to at tynecastle. :2thumbsup:

Well mine was against st midden so its fair to say your first game was a belter compared to mine! I just mind being small and really scared at spill out time.. The hoops weren't happy and were already rioting in gorgie road but my daddy always made sure I was OK. :10900: That free kick was just something special..oh Robbo how we miss you :43:

colin barclay

TARTAN TORIES EVERY LAST ONE.WHO THINK THAT RAMMING A POOL CUE UP THEIR MATES CHORUS AND VERSE ON HIS STAG NIGHT IS JUST HIGH JINXS.:bravo:

Francis Albert

A 3.30 or even 3.15 KO would have ensured the rugger chaps were almost all safely wrapped in their tartan blankets inside Murrayfield before the Tynecastle game ended.

As posted on another thread I remember 36,000 at Tynecastle for a Rangers game with a 3pm kick off while 80,000 were in Murrayfield for an England game, with the rugby kicking off at 2.30 or thereabouts (because of lack of floodlights at Murrayfield). The aggregate crowd tomorrow won't much exceeed the Tynecastle crowd that day, so why we need a nearly 5 hour gap between KOs tomorrow defeats me.

A 3.30 or even 3.15 KO would have ensured the rugger chaps were almost all safely wrapped in their tartan blankets inside Murrayfield before the Tynecastle game ended.

As posted on another thread I remember 36,000 at Tynecastle for a Rangers game with a 3pm kick off while 80,000 were in Murrayfield for an England game, with the rugby kicking off at 2.30 or thereabouts (because of lack of floodlights at Murrayfield). The aggregate crowd tomorrow won't much exceeed the Tynecastle crowd that day, so why we need a nearly 5 hour gap between KOs tomorrow defeats me.

I agree but the police must demand it now. I see no reason why when gates are well down on what you or I have experienced. Is it lack of resources? or do they prefer to just stand around doing feck all most of the time? 2 games within an hour? christ that sounds like hard work when there's very little trouble with hearts or scotland rugby fans against the sides playing tomorrow.

Francis Albert
I agree but the police must demand it now. I see no reason why when gates are well down on what you or I have experienced. Is it lack of resources? or do they prefer to just stand around doing feck all most of the time? 2 games within an hour? christ that sounds like hard work when there's very little trouble with hearts or scotland rugby fans against the sides playing tomorrow.

Or more overtime if their crowd control duties are spread over about 8 hours?

If the games had closer kick off times i'd have seriously considered ditching the football for the rugby tomorrow.

I'm not going to Murrayfield tomorrow (although I was there last week), but I would suggest that the kick-off times are just about ideally spaced to ensure a warm winter glow and a gentle stagger to the rugby to watch the ritual slaughter.

a lot of classist nonsense on this thread.

There is indeed.

Used to go to both when I was at school (not fee paying!) We'd go to the rugby then run round to Tynie for the second half - you got in free in those days.

Or more overtime if their crowd control duties are spread over about 8 hours?

:qqb006:

that's very cynical ..i couldn't possibly comment.

Thig Ar Latha

Remember it well. I stayed in Dalry at that time and was waiting for my cousin who was late. Could'nt get into any local Pubs and ended up walking uo to a hotel in Merchison before we could get a few drinks. For that reason alone, its no bad thing to have the kick off's so far apart.

Can still see Robbo's free kick goal in my mind as clear as when it happened! (Well Almost)

I have a game 12-1.30 so won't be back in time to hear the whole match.

So hopefully get to listen to the remainder of the Hearts match, quick shower and some lunch before settling down to watch the rugger.

I have a nice bottle of Campo Valejo (reserva 2002) to have with my evening meal followed by some x-factor and maybe a film.

No work this saturday night for only the second time since the start of May and I intend to make the most of it.

Remember it well. I stayed in Dalry at that time and was waiting for my cousin who was late. Could'nt get into any local Pubs and ended up walking uo to a hotel in Merchison before we could get a few drinks. For that reason alone, its no bad thing to have the kick off's so far apart.

Can still see Robbo's free kick goal in my mind as clear as when it happened! (Well Almost)

I know what you mean..I was 10 just I think but that game will never leave me..my sis and mum went shopping and we went with them for lunch before it and met up after it..was just brilliant..the soft toy at jenners I bought before i went I still look at fondly as it sums up that day for me..that toy is now my sons to cuddle :heart::smiley2:

Rugby can **** RIGHT off.

I was originally doing a shift at 4pm tomorrow, but changed it so I'd finish at 2, giving me an hour to get to Tynecastle. No bother.

Only to find out that these homosexual toffs are playing a meaningless bounce game in a sport that nobody really cares deeply about and our vital game's been moved back to half 12, meaning I'm going to be missing my first home game in nearly 2 and a half years.

I'd say I hope Scotland get humped, but that much is a given anyway.

Thig Ar Latha
I know what you mean..I was 10 just I think but that game will never leave me..my sis and mum went shopping and we went with them for lunch before it and met up after it..was just brilliant..the soft toy at jenners I bought before i went I still look at fondly as it sums up that day for me..that toy is now my sons to cuddle :heart::smiley2:

My cousin was using my wife to be's ticket as she was away looking at wedding dresses that day.

Her loss, my cousin's gain. I was going regardless. :10900:

My cousin was using my wife to be's ticket as she was away looking at wedding dresses that day.

I just love Hearts stories like that I really do. We have a great club with great history and our own very personal stories to tell. What is not to love about being a jambo? I would not swap it for the world :heart:

Thig Ar Latha
I just love Hearts stories like that I really do. We have a great club with great history and our own very personal stories to tell. What is not to love about being a jambo? I would not swap it for the world :heart:

I've got forty tears worth of stories like that, and there's a few who will top that easily, both in quantity and quality!

Ade the Jambo

Mate's stag do was Scotland Rugby Autumn Test v Someone (that's how memorable it was) followed by second half Jambo's v Dundee Utd. (predictable nil nil). Thankfully followed by a few pints before having to repair home to babysit our (now very grown up) son to allow my wife to attend Mate's future spouse's Hen do! She never made it though as there was thick snow in Fairmilehead by the time I got home, her do was in Leith and she couldn't believe we were snowed in!

Sorry too much information?

Well this state-educated, heterosexual, non-violent, civilised, non-barber jacket wearing, moderately drinking, Scotland fan is off to the rugby tomorrow.

Those who aren't because they hate the game are poofs! :10900:

Thank you for your time and I hope this helps!!! ;)

ok being a bird..I feel obliged to ask..did she look stunning in her dress? my dad remembers his wedding day as we beat Celtic 08/11/69!

Thig Ar Latha
ok being a bird..I feel obliged to ask..did she look stunning in her dress? my dad remembers his wedding day as we beat Celtic 08/11/69!

Now your trying to embaress me, but I'll give you an answer anyway.

Aye, I supose so.

Well, yes actually.

Well, ofcourse she was.

:redface:

The only down side was it was the day Hearts lost to St Mirren in the 'Big Cup' Semi.

What use to puzzle me years ago was some fans missing a Hearts game to go and watch the rugby?? You get many that like both sports but can`t understand football favouring fans opting for a rugger game first. And vice versa.

Could never see me puting a boring rugby match before a football game, especially a Hearts game.

I can remember the real old days when while you were watching the Hearts game at Tynecastle you could tell what was happening at the rugby by the crowd noise. And I am sure they could do the same with the 30,000 crowd at Tynecastle for the league game against East Fife. .:10900:

TBH I'm not amused we all have to go to a 12.30 kick off that isn't even on TV, just for the rugby.

If The Hearts game started at 3 PM by the time the supporters got near Murrayfield it would be about 5.05 which is 10 mins before kick off, in the rugby. By that time most of the supporters would be in the ground as the players come out quite early in the rugby for national anthems etc. What is wrong with 3.00

TBH I'm not amused we all have to go to a 12.30 kick off that isn't even on TV, just for the rugby.

If The Hearts game started at 3 PM by the time the supporters got near Murrayfield it would be about 5.05 which is 10 mins before kick off, in the rugby. By that time most of the supporters would be in the ground as the players come out quite early in the rugby for national anthems etc. What is wrong with 3.00

Correct.

What a load of pish switching football to lunchtime.

All this switching kick off nonsense is one of the main reasons I don't go anymore as I can't make Saturday lunchtimes or a lot of Sunday games.:43:

If I bought a season ticket I'd miss all the big games (and tomorrow) and I'd get to see St Mirren, Hamilton, Falkirk and whoever else we get a 3pm Saturday against. Fecking nonsense!!!

3 of us going 2 tynie & 4 of us going 2 Murrayfield - with 2 hours in the pub in between. Happy Days

Sounds a good 'un.

Hope you enjoy all three - especially the first.

Way back when God was a lad, Scotland played the Barbarians think it was a world cup warm up match or something with a 1:30 start. We played Falkirk I think, usual 3 pm KO.

Went to Murrayfield, left just before the end of the game.

Hammered down Roseburn St, hard right on to Russell Rd, right again into McLeod St. right again into the turnstiles at the school end, missed the 1st minute or two. Think we won, was a bit fitter in those days.

For today I had to take a half shift off, holiday wise, no way I could finish my nightshift at 07:00 then get to the game for 12:30.

Archived