SNP Broadcast

systemx

Possibly the most cringeworthy and pathetic PPB I,ve ever seen(Was that our Toggie playing the lead role)The boy marching from his front door to the top of the mountain was surely borrowed from late 30s Nazi propaganda shorts

The SNP never do themselves any favours with their PPBs.

It's all shortbread tin, Braveheart, soppy pish, backed up by hyperbole and empty sloganeering.

And I'm a big supporter! Must do better.

tugging at the heart strings...one trick party...vote for us or you're no Scottish...Wha's like us - damn few and they're aw deid...sentimental claptrap.

I presume that the first section was intended as a symbolic call for Scotland to wake up and was, perhaps, a little cringeworthy.

However the important bit is in what Salmond was saying. Vote for a party with Scotland's interests at heart. A vote for any of the other major parties is a vote for the status quo - the difference between them is wafer thin.

We in Scotland have a unique opportunity in that we have it in our own hands to achieve the kind of government that will meet our needs. The current SNP led Government at Holyrood has already demonstrated that we are more than capable of running our own affairs and deciding upon our own priorities.

Come the next General Election when we are governed by Cameron and his cronies, with scarcely any representation in Scotland, we will find out that their priorities are those of middle England and most certainly not ours.

Possibly the most cringeworthy and pathetic PPB I,ve ever seen(Was that our Toggie playing the lead role)The boy marching from his front door to the top of the mountain was surely borrowed from late 30s Nazi propaganda shorts

Can't say I saw any Leni Reiffensthall-esque moments there.

even as someone who is willing to vote snp, i found it pretty cringeworthy.

They all are, regardless of party.

The laddie was walking as though he'd followed through and filled his breeks!

I presume that the first section was intended as a symbolic call for Scotland to wake up and was, perhaps, a little cringeworthy.

However the important bit is in what Salmond was saying. Vote for a party with Scotland's interests at heart. A vote for any of the other major parties is a vote for the status quo - the difference between them is wafer thin.

We in Scotland have a unique opportunity in that we have it in our own hands to achieve the kind of government that will meet our needs. The current SNP led Government at Holyrood has already demonstrated that we are more than capable of running our own affairs and deciding upon our own priorities.

Come the next General Election when we are governed by Cameron and his cronies, with scarcely any representation in Scotland, we will find out that their priorities are those of middle England and most certainly not ours.

I agree with you to an extent, but what Cameron can actually do up here is tempered by Holyrood.

Just once, I'd like to hear all of the regulars who will take any opportunity to have a pop at the SNP actually come out and say what they're in favour of, rather than what they're against. Of course, maybe some of them would rather not say. :hat2:

I found the first part of the broadcast (walking up hills, shouting, bad acting, etc.) quite funny: don't think it was meant to be, though... :smiley2:

It's all shortbread tin, Braveheart, soppy pish, backed up by hyperbole and empty sloganeering.

They are devoid of gravitas and credibility due to a lack of intellectual rigour in their policies. Consequently, all they have to fall back on is the stuff I've copied from your post.

SNP. Scotland's shame. :43:

They are devoid of gravitas and credibility due to a lack of intellectual rigour in their policies. Consequently, all they have to fall back on is the stuff I've copied from your post.

SNP. Scotland's shame. :43:

Just once, I'd like to hear all of the regulars who will take any opportunity to have a pop at the SNP actually come out and say what they're in favour of, rather than what they're against. Of course, maybe some of them would rather not say. :hat2:

Other than just the usual knee-jerk, anyone-but-the SNP, protect-the-union-at-all-and-any-cost responses, naturally... :curtain:

I just can't bring myself to think too seriously about the SNP, mostly because every time I do pay some attention I end up feeling as if I'm being manipulated - and not even particularly well. I love Scotland, I'm proud of my country and its culture but I can't stand people forcing it down my throat or cheesing it up in such a way that it becomes downright embarrassing. The way in which they conduct themselves on a promotional and publicity basis especially bugs me...their policies and plans for the future seem to come a very distant second to the shortbread tin nationalism that they seem to want their audience to focus on. I'm quite sure there are many smart people who have lots of intelligent things to say about some of the more impressive SNP policies but the sad fact is that the way in which the party promotes itself suggests its all about politics for overly emotional bubbleheads and has little in the way of substance.

I was at the SNP conference a few months ago for work and I couldn't believe it when I was flicking through the schedule for the conference and on the centre pages, I found the lyrics to Scots Wha Hae. I mean, come ON. Still less loonies there than there were at the Tory conference, mind you... :biggrin:

:qqb017:

Check my post.

I'll consider any party that has a decent level of intellectual rigour built into its policies. The SNP purely focuses on the base instinct of race/nationality and, for that, I can never take them seriously. They are a one-trick Braveheart-focused pony.

Check my post.

I'll consider any party that has a decent level of intellectual rigour built into its policies. The SNP purely focuses on the base instinct of race/nationality and, for that, I can never take them seriously. They are a one-trick Braveheart-focused pony.

I think when you look at policy the SNP compares pretty well when discussing the economoy or health or education with their opponents at Holyrood.

The part that you refer to, and most used at Westminster, is lost on me too and deflects the SNP from promoting their policies. That said, all parties seem to do this now, rather than debate policy it's all negative campaigning and style over substance.

Check my post.

I'll consider any party that has a decent level of intellectual rigour built into its policies. The SNP purely focuses on the base instinct of race/nationality* and, for that, I can never take them seriously. They are a one-trick Braveheart-focused pony.

Which parties do you consider to have sufficient "intellectual rigour" to be considered worthy of your vote, then?

* Absolute nonsense.

I think when you look at policy the SNP compares pretty well when discussing the economoy or health or education with their opponents at Holyrood.

With all due respect Boris, you're talking nonsense. The SNP's flagship policies are littered with assumptions and guesswork about how Westminster would react to various things; local income tax being the classic. Once the pretence of logic rug is pulled from under them - as it inevitably is - they simply revert to asking "wha's like us".

Which parties do you consider to have sufficient "intellectual rigour" to be considered worthy of your vote, then?

Unlike you, I'm not promoting a particular party so I shall keep that to myself, just as I am entitled to do when I cast my ballot.

Safe to say I won't be voting SNP though.

Unlike you, I'm not promoting a particular party so I shall keep that to myself, just as I am entitled to do when I cast my ballot.

Safe to say I won't be voting SNP though.

No-one is asking you to disclose your voting intentions, but your reply does rather lead me back to my point about certain posters on here being delighted to attack the SNP at any opportunity, but - at the same time - being rather coy about where their political allegancies lie, for whatever reason... :eek:

Also, it's one of the cheapest and easiest shots around to accuse the SNP of racism / anti-English sentiment, but I've yet to hear you - or anyone else on here - come up with a single shred of actual evidence that supports this. Intellectual rigor mortis set in, perhaps...??? :mw_rolleyes:

With all due respect Boris, you're talking nonsense. The SNP's flagship policies are littered with assumptions and guesswork about how Westminster would react to various things; local income tax being the classic. Once the pretence of logic rug is pulled from under them - as it inevitably is - they simply revert to asking "wha's like us".

Local income tax aside, I think that they do hold their own at Holyrood.

Yes, they put a "tartan" spin on it to an extent, but they still have to go about governing.

I guess my point is that with so little to choose between the mainstream parties, at the Holyrood level the SNP are as qualified to rule as the Tories or Labour or the Lib Dems are.

Their policies and arguments are drowned out at Westminster level as they paint their faces blue and shout "freedom!" an awful lot.

Archived