Its started - The English Dream (bollox)

K1874M

At work, the last hour...

"Imagine we get to the final.... "

"We have the best defender in the world in Cole"

"Brazil are shid, we should be able to turn them over, Spain will be shid, I dont see why we can't go on and win it. "

Now don't get me wrong they have a chance but the draw hasnt even been made yet and they are all excited.... oh the let down will be amazing.

Think england will do well, as they do in most competitions, great squad, dont think they will win it though,let them say what they want, will make the knockout sweeter

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

They're one of the favourites, tbh. They won't win it though. Overrated dross like John Terry get found out at the proper part of tournaments like this.

Roddell Vereen
I look forward to Fabio Capello getting the usual tabloid treatment in mid July.

Why should England fail next year?? Capello has turned them into a different team and they had some brilliant results e.g. 4-1 or 5-1 against Croatia. I'm not bothered how well they do, it's the english media that get on my t*ts. However, I think England will have a more successful tournament next year, rather than scraping into the quarter finals before getting beaten.

To be fare if there are ever to do something in the world cup I think it could be this one.It's my biggest nightmare, It's only in the last wee while they've stopped harping on about "66".Sends a shudder down my spine.

To be fare if there are ever to do something in the world cup I think it could be this one.It's my biggest nightmare, It's only in the last wee while they've stopped harping on about "66".Sends a shudder down my spine.

I would rather england won the world cup than hibs the scottish cup!

I would rather england won the world cup than hibs the scottish cup!

Yes probably but still, I would rather enjoy foreplay with edward scissorhands than either happen

Another cracker....

"It should be ok as there wont be as much press coverage as its in SA and Capello wont allow the press near"

Jeeeezuz.

Long time to go before the world cup folks! A lot of this kind of crap to go until the start! Lampard or Gerrard getting long term injuries could finish them off. Anything can happen between now and then!

As for having over rated players, they are better than Greece were and they won the Euros!

I think England will do quite well. The media talk them up, but that probably happens in every other country with a good football team and a world cup to its name.

Very good manager and a group of players who I quite like. Its quite embarrassing when everyone starts the 'Cmon whoever is playing England' stuff, small man mentality is not good. Good luck to them.

BTW have all the teams been confirmed or are there still some play offs to come?

full list of qualifiers

HOSTS: South Africa

AFRICA QUALIFYING: Algeria, Cameroon, Ghana, Ivory Coast, Nigeria

ASIA QUALIFYING: Australia, Japan, North Korea, South Korea

EUROPE QUALIFYING: Denmark, England, France, Germany, Greece, Italy, Netherlands, Portugal, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Switzerland

SOUTH AMERICA QUALIFYING: Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Paraguay, Uruguay

NORTH, CENTRAL AMERICA AND QUALIFYING: Honduras, Mexico, United States

ASIA/OCEANIA PLAY-OFF New Zealand

Say What Again
Cant wait for another group of death containing -

Nigeria

Argentina

Sweeden

I hope Nigeria get Germany in their group as I'm looking forward to how the BBC/ITV deal with the 3 letter abbreviations of NIGERIA - GERMANY in the top left of the screen.

:curtain:

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC
I hope Nigeria get Germany in their group as I'm looking forward to how the BBC/ITV deal with the 3 letter abbreviations of NIGERIA - GERMANY in the top left of the screen.

Haha!

Belter mate :10900:

Something similar happened at the Northern Ireland v Germany youth game on Sky Sports the other night.

And yes - they dealt with it they way you are thinking they might ;-)

Ha ha ha

England are a good side at the moment. And, wether we chose to like it or not, have a real chance of winning the WC.

Wouldn't have a huge problem with that in itself TBH.

But, as has been said already, It's the English media that is hardest to deal with and I think it is them more than the England team/fans that most other home nation fans have the biggest issues with.

They get more and more unbearable as any tournament England are involved in progresses.

barring a lot of injuries to major players they should at least reach the quarters, but i think they will fall at the semis depending upon the draw as i think there are a couple of teams who will be able to beat england as they have "that winning mentality" when it comes to the business end of international tournaments, ie italy and germany, possibly throw in argentina and holland as a little more of an outside bet. But the two teams to beat IMO are spain and brazil.

Cant wait for another group of death containing -

Nigeria

Argentina

Sweeden

I think the odds are very much against that in 2010...

:stuart:

"Brazil are shid, we should be able to turn them over, Spain will be shid, I dont see why we can't go on and win it. "

Now don't get me wrong they have a chance but the draw hasnt even been made yet and they are all excited.... oh the let down will be amazing.

Oh Kenny - it's only natural. Fans and public have a right to dream - and as I see it, international football has a Big Eight, all of whom have some right to believe they could, with luck and if all goes well, go all the way to the Cup.

Those eight nations are:

Brazil

Germany

Italy

Argentina

England

France

Spain

Holland

England are certainly in the outer area of that group - because we reach quarter-finals and occasional semi-finals, rather than win it all. But we're also the biggest under-achievers of all major nations; and the manager who ends the long wait will be a hero. Hence why Fabio Capello desperately wanted the job: only Brazil are watched more around the world than England.

Meanwhile, 43 years and counting provides a great story - just as it did during the even longer drought involving the Boston Red Sox, and still does in the case of the Chicago Cubs. England's never-ending capacity to find yet more excruciating ways of getting knocked out is all part of that too - just as with the Cubs, or it was with the Sox. Will we win it? No: semi-final exit on penalties is what I think'll happen. Do we have a chance? Sure. Our consistency says we do; the players we have certainly says we do.

I wouldn't worry though - because deep down, I think our only real prospect of winning the World Cup again is if we host it. Roll on 2018!

I think our only real prospect of winning the World Cup again is if we host it. Roll on 2018!

He's right. No ref in the world will be able to resist the bribe of a free year's supply of Toad-in-the-hole!

Miller Jambo 60

Better get used to it, plenty of that to come.

How many mentions of 66:57:

Better get used to it, plenty of that to come.

How many mentions of 66:57:

Doug - speaking for myself, I don't give a flying one that we won in 1966. We were at home, we cheated, it was long before my time, and it was an historical freak which, because of the pressure it piled on all subsequent England teams, I frequently wish had never happened.

So why can't so many Scots just get over it? And please don't say it's because commentators mention it: big deal. Just zone out when it comes up. I assume most Hibs fans do the same when we go on and on about 1902.

I think England will do quite well. The media talk them up, but that probably happens in every other country with a good football team and a world cup to its name.

Very good manager and a group of players who I quite like. Its quite embarrassing when everyone starts the 'Cmon whoever is playing England' stuff, small man mentality is not good. Good luck to them.

BTW have all the teams been confirmed or are there still some play offs to come?

I disagree with this SlevinKelevra,its kind of like saying we should treat hibs the same way,iam sure you wouldnt do that? most club/international rivals are like this. There would be nothing worse than our biggest rivals winning the world cup,though its more of a shame that we are not even there :(

So why can't so many Scots just get over it? And please don't say it's because commentators mention it: big deal. Just zone out when it comes up. I assume most Hibs fans do the same when we go on and on about 1902.

This.

I don't get all this anti-england bollocks tbh. I do hope they win, and I hope they get to host too.

I disagree with this SlevinKelevra,its kind of like saying we should treat hibs the same way,iam sure you wouldnt do that? most club/international rivals are like this. There would be nothing worse than our biggest rivals winning the world cup,though its more of a shame that we are not even there :(

I hate Hibs, I have no problems with England.

Hearts and Hibs are rivals, I wouldnt say England and Scotland are rivals though imo. I can understand why many would say they are, if this was 100s of years ago. I bet most English probably couldnt care less if Scotland won or lost. Most peoples obsession with what the English national team are up to is a tad embarrassing.

Oh Kenny - it's only natural. Fans and public have a right to dream - and as I see it, international football has a Big Eight, all of whom have some right to believe they could, with luck and if all goes well, go all the way to the Cup.

Those eight nations are:

Brazil

Germany

Italy

Argentina

England

France

Spain

Holland

England are certainly in the outer area of that group - because we reach quarter-finals and occasional semi-finals, rather than win it all. But we're also the biggest under-achievers of all major nations; and the manager who ends the long wait will be a hero. Hence why Fabio Capello desperately wanted the job: only Brazil are watched more around the world than England.

Meanwhile, 43 years and counting provides a great story - just as it did during the even longer drought involving the Boston Red Sox, and still does in the case of the Chicago Cubs. England's never-ending capacity to find yet more excruciating ways of getting knocked out is all part of that too - just as with the Cubs, or it was with the Sox. Will we win it? No: semi-final exit on penalties is what I think'll happen. Do we have a chance? Sure. Our consistency says we do; the players we have certainly says we do.

I wouldn't worry though - because deep down, I think our only real prospect of winning the World Cup again is if we host it. Roll on 2018!

My points, as they obviously weren't clear enough;

The guys at my work are pretty much allready presuming they will get to the finals.

They reckon Cole is the best defender in the world...

They reckon that the press wont have much effect this year as its so far away?!?!?

Really sorry but they are doing what a lot of Engerland fans and media do... getting way too carried away before we are any where near a ball even being kicked.

The press one was a beauty!

The guys at my work are pretty much allready presuming they will get to the finals.

They reckon that the press wont have much effect this year as its so far away?!?!?

Really sorry but they are doing what a lot of Engerland fans and media do... getting way too carried away before we are any where near a ball even being kicked.

So that just makes them dumb football fans given to hyperbole. Aren't we all like that sometimes? The World Cup is based on the power of dreams really; and we all have the right to dream.

I hate Hibs, I have no problems with England.

Hearts and Hibs are rivals, I wouldnt say England and Scotland are rivals though imo. I can understand why many would say they are, if this was 100s of years ago. I bet most English probably couldnt care less if Scotland won or lost. Most peoples obsession with what the English national team are up to is a tad embarrassing.

disagree again :curtain:

Been going to Scotland games for a long time,and the Scotland vs England is the be all and end all when i look at fixtures. i can remember the last two tournaments England were knocked out by Portugal,and every pub i passed through having people jumping up and down en mass with joy while having banter with the English punters. the football rivalry between us is great fun,people have become too PC and have forgotten this,but as with everything there is line. i just don't see how you can say when it comes to football were not rivals,but hey that the beauty of free speech :2thumbsup:

I used to think this aswell,but as someone rightly pointed out to me,were really bad for this too-just on a smaller scale lol

Been going to Scotland games for a long time,and the Scotland vs England is the be all and end all when i look at fixtures. i can remember the last two tournaments England were knocked out by Portugal,and every pub i passed through having people jumping up and down en mass with joy while having banter with the English punters. the football rivalry between us is great fun,people have become too PC and have forgotten this,but as with everything there is line. i just don't see how you can say when it comes to football were not rivals,but hey that the beauty of free speech :2thumbsup:

Thats what I meen, cringeworthy.

I disagree with you, those pubs will be full of Anti English Tartan Army style supporters for a kick off. Maybe that is why people think there is a rivalry, the vocal minority that is the T.A. spouting their usual guff. The English fans have bigger fish to fry. However lets not talk about the T.A.

When it comes to football Scotland and England are not rivals, Englands rivals are the top teams in the world, Scotlands are the Faroe Islands, Sudan etc.

imo

I do broadly agree with this. There was a very funny piece on Newsnight during the last World Cup when the reporter drove around Glasgow with an England flag, urging the locals to get behind the team. Talk about taking your life in your hands!

Rivalry's part of what makes football great. Some Scots find the obsession with England pretty cringeworthy - because it's not exactly close between the two nations in terms of football history. But then, who are England's rivals? Germany and Argentina. That's:

Germany: three World Cups, three European Championships, four further World Cup finals, three further European Championship finals.

Argentina: two World Cups, two further finals, 14 Copa America titles.

England: one World Cup - at home, and we cheated. No further finals anywhere ever!

So England are to Germany and Argentina what a mosquito is to an elephant. Same with Scotland and England really!

Thats what I meen, cringeworthy.

I disagree with you, those pubs will be full of Anti English Tartan Army style supporters for a kick off. Maybe that is why people think there is a rivalry, the vocal minority that is the T.A. spouting their usual guff. The English fans have bigger fish to fry. However lets not talk about the T.A.

When it comes to football Scotland and England are not rivals, Englands rivals are the top teams in the world, Scotlands are the Faroe Islands, Sudan etc.

imo

agree to disagree then :2thumbsup:

back on topic,isnt the english team i.e lampard,ferdinand etc getting on a bit,this might be there last chance,the average age of the squad is going up all the time.

agree to disagree then :2thumbsup:

back on topic,isnt the english team i.e lampard,ferdinand etc getting on a bit,this might be there last chance,the average age of the squad is going up all the time.

Do agree with this. It is our last chance in my view - and if this generation was ever going to do it, it was far more likely to be in 2006, on our own continent and with a kind draw, than now. Football is cyclical - and post-2010, I think a decline in England's fortunes is likely. The core of the side - Ferdinand, Terry, Cole, Gerrard, Lampard, Rooney - have been around for ages now. Time to deliver, boys.

Got to be honest this sort of thing does annoy me. I have never understood why many English supporters and media outlets believe Scotland, Ireland and Wales should support England in the WC?

Why? We're not fans on England. Football allegiances can't just be transfered from tournament. Its a quite prosporous idea.

You wouldn't expect England fans to support Germany if it was Germany v Brazil. Since both are in the EU etc.

You wouldn't expect Man City fans to support Man Utd in Europe just due to sharing the same city.

Its a stupid idea and one that seems to be perputated around tournament time. Now I'm never sure if England fans and the media generally believe it or if its just bating to make the Scots to look bad. Either way its a pretty poor show IMO.

The Newsnight reporter clearly didn't believe it, LBJ: he was just having a laugh, amid making a more serious point about the divisions within the UK. I think it's absurd that some of my countrymen think Scots are supposed to support us: we're rivals. As you say, it's exactly like asking Englishmen to support Germany because they're also European.

England have a very decent chance of doing something at the WC. Key is the big players stay fit.

For example, if Rooney misses the whole WC for whatever reason, they would miss him too much to progress past the last 8.

Im not so sure Ferdinand is such a miss as he would have been this time last year - still, he has a good few months to sort his body and form out.

It's very close between the two teams. When Gough scored the winner in 1985 we were dead level in terms of wins. They'er 4 ahead now after 146 years. That's close.

AlphonseCapone

england-flag.jpg

I think England has a great chance. The English are quite right to go on about winning etc, that's why we love football is it not? Dreaming of those ultimate moments. Thing is, their dream may become a reality. I just wish it was the same with Scotland. But it's not, so I'll be supporting England and

italy-flag.gif

ITALIA!

Let them dream.

Let their newspapers give away free DVDs of THAT game 43 years ago.

Let them put all the pressure in the universe on their team and on their manager.

Let them spout pish for the next 6 months.

That will make their inevitable exit from the World Cup all the sweeter.

kingantti1874

Think you'd better check the head to head record between Scotland and England again before making comments like that! Not too shabby for a country a tenth of the size eh...

Captain_Peacock

-, Spain will be shid, I dont see why we can't go on and win it.

Spain murdered them, 2-0 wasn't a true reflection of the gulf between the two teams IMO. They've improved since then but are still outside bets for my money.

Sky & The Murdoch press will talk up the EPL and England players for sure, but there again football subscription money is pretty important to them.

this_is_my_story

Very good manager and a group of players who I quite like. It's quite embarrassing when everyone starts the 'Cmon whoever is playing England' stuff, small man mentality is not good. Good luck to them.

Well said. It reeks of hobo mentality. Wanting a team to fail almost (or more?) as much as you want your own team to succeed is pathetic.

Spain murdered them, 2-0 wasn't a true reflection of the gulf between the two teams IMO. They've improved since then but are still outside bets for my money.

Sky & The Murdoch press will talk up the EPL and England players for sure, but there again football subscription money is pretty important to them.

This is indeed the problem. I thought England were underrated going into Italia 90 because we'd drawn with Italy and beaten Yugoslavia, Czechoslovakia (both quarter-finalists in the end), and crucially, Brazil (the first side to beat them in 15 games) in the build-up. Brazil 1-0 England, Spain 2-0 England and Holland 2-2 England doesn't stand up really, and does make us outside bets in many ways.

Archived