Yes

Johanes de Silentio

Not really yes without Jon Anderson but looking forward to it anywhy. Beniot David seems pretty good.

I understand the concert is being recorded and available as a MP3 or USB stick straight after the show. Which is pretty cool.

Johanes de Silentio
Not really yes without Jon Anderson but looking forward to it anywhy. Beniot David seems pretty good.

I understand the concert is being recorded and available as a MP3 or USB stick straight after the show. Which is pretty cool.

See, I liked 'Drama' which was made without Anderson. I'm going with a big fan who said she wouldn't go if Anderson was singing, cos he was so poor last time - the man and his voice would appear to be ****ed!

Benoid David does sound good!

Really looking forward to seeing Squire & White - Bruford & Levin are Gods, but when I saw them on the ABWH tour, it was clear that they would rather been someplace else.

Yes are/is as much about Squire as Anderson, imo!

Steve Howe is a genius, obviously!

:2thumbsup:

See, I liked 'Drama' which was made without Anderson. I'm going with a big fan who said she wouldn't go if Anderson was singing, cos he was so poor last time - the man and his voice would appear to be ****ed!

Really looking forward to seeing Squire & White - Bruford & Levin are Gods, but when I saw them on the ABWH tour, it was clear that they would rather been someplace else.

... though increasingly he looks like a Halloween mask ...

As a stand alone album Drama wasn't that bad TBH :curtain:

I last saw them when they did the playhouse .....'an evening of Yes music' it was advertised as. Anderson, Howe, Squire, Wakeman and White :2thumbsup:

Top show, and Anderson was in great voice then I thought ........going back a bit now though :43:

Hopefully we will hear some live Drama songs tonight with Anderson not there to veto them.

Also quite pleased they are playing the usher hall pretty good venue for Yes.

Last time I saw Jon Anderson was his solo show at the Queen's Hall 3 or 4 year ago. He was still pretty good but he kept on forgeting the words to a song. Only been singing it for 30 odd years.

I think he pretty much goosed now for singing with his health problems. Long tours anywhy.

Johanes de Silentio
As a stand alone album Drama wasn't that bad TBH :curtain:

I last saw them when they did the playhouse .....'an evening of Yes music' it was advertised as. Anderson, Howe, Squire, Wakeman and White :2thumbsup:

Top show, and Anderson was in great voice then I thought ........going back a bit now though :43:

That's the gig I was at, but it was Bruford on drums and Tony Levin on bass, rather than Squire & White, wasn't it?

Good gig! :th_o:

That's the gig I was at, but it was Bruford on drums and Tony Levin on bass, rather than Squire & White, wasn't it?

Yes - they were billed as "Anderson, Bruford, Wakeman and Howe" due to a legal wrangle with Squire. There were also certain albums they couldn't play material from.

Was a damn good gig, but was a long time ago!

Looking forward to this evening. Should be interesting.

I must have tour-ets syndrome :curtain:

I searched for the ticket stub ( sad ) but couldn't find it, so I guess it was -

'The full circle tour' I was last at ?

Certainly that was the line up and I recall 'the fish' just about rattling my teeth out during a solo !

Date : Sunday, July 06, 2003 (6 years, 4 months and 13 days ago)

City : Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom

Venue : Edinburgh Playhouse Theatre

Capacity : 3,300

Lineup :

Jon Anderson (Vocals)

Steve Howe (Guitars)

Chris Squire (Bass)

Rick Wakeman (Keyboards)

Alan White (Drums)

While googling that info I found an NME article and Anderson was 'outraged' having apparently not been told he was being replaced for the current tour !

winchester 73

Date : Sunday, July 06, 2003 (6 years, 4 months and 13 days ago)

City : Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom

Venue : Edinburgh Playhouse Theatre

Capacity : 3,300

Lineup :

Jon Anderson (Vocals)

Steve Howe (Guitars)

Chris Squire (Bass)

Rick Wakeman (Keyboards)

Alan White (Drums)

I was at this concert and thought they all sounded great.

Yes without Anderson is like Queen without Freddie Mercury IMHO.

Johanes de Silentio

Tonight's gig at the Usher Hall:

We had a great view, but the sound mix wasn't great where we were.

From memory, in no particular order:

Nothing form 'Yes - The Bubble'

Astral Traveller - a surprise choice from Time And A Word - pretty good, but with an ok drum solo from Alan White, one of my favourite drummers, who was in typical 'heads-down-no-nonsense-mindless-boogie' mood, but didn't come across as well as I'd have liked - maybe it was the mix, but he looked a bit tired..and old!

Yours Is No Disgrace - the first song to draw a standing ovation, but technically flawed, imo, with Howe, White & Squire giving each other slightly iffy looks after S & W misread Howe's akward cue back into the main riff after the 'freak out' section. Young Mr Wakeman was a tad clumsy on this, imo.

Starship Trooper - played as an encore, and a decent version.

Seen All Good People - pretty good, but with Howe dangerously veering off a tangent or two.

The Clap - Steve Howe's acoustic party-piece, merged with a piece from his 'Beginnings' album - almost flawless.

Roundabout - rocked! This would appear to be the definitive Yes track. Howe played the harmonics on a mounted acoustic, then the E minor lick on his electric, before going back to the acoustic for the harmonics again - genius!

Heart of the Sunrise - pretty damned brilliant!

South Side of the Sky - pretty damned good - Young Mr Wakeman stood up admirably in his duel with Howe on the final vamp in A Flat - well done, sir!

Siberian Katru - opened the set - pretty good, but White seemed determined not to let the tempo lift, as he did all night, with certain songs seeming to drag at times.

And You And I - decent version

Nothing from Topographic Oceans

Nothing from Relayer

Nothing from Going For The One!

2 Tracks from Drama: (Howe also started to play the funky gtr riff from my favourite Does It Really Happen, but nothing came of it - I suspect Squire may have gave Howe 'the look'!)

Anyhoo...

Tempus Fugit - pretty good

Machine Messiah - a surprise standout - fantastic!

and...

Owner Of A Lonely Heart - nobody seemed that bothered about it - they really shouldn't have bothered! It was ok, though, except for Howe's iffy lead break!

Comments: from left to right:

Howe - brilliant, but eratic!

Benoit David was excellent, and played it just right - well done, sir!

Alan White - an uncharacteristically tired performance, imo, but the mix did him no favours - I was looking forward to him cracking that snare, but it didn't come across, sadly.

Squire - the usual brilliant, ramshackle basslines from Chris, but he also looked tired - really tried to stir up a typically reticent Edinburgh crowd.

Oliver Wakemen - technically fine, but has very little presence on stage, and seems to share his dad's penchant for ****-poor synth sounds at times. Played well, though!

All in all, a good gig, but the first half lacked energy, imo - picked up later, though!

Quite honestly, though, it dawned on me tonight that they're too old to be doing this, and should think about doing other stuff - how long can they keep playing the same set?

Anderson's ill health is a sign, lads - enough already!

Yes were brilliant, and I'll be happy to reminisce with the classic albums.

I must stress, though, (to any doubters) that, except for one bum acoustic gtr chord on Machine Messiah...

Benoid David was excellent!

Correct! :2thumbsup:

I prefer to keep my real 1970s memories rather than watch tired old musicians. Should have done that with the Eagles in the summer.

However, Neil Young and Jackson Browne still seemed to have it...

Good assessment from Uncle Albert.

I would criticise Oliver Wakeman a little more and big up Benoit David a lot more though!

I thought Oliver Wakeman looked like a rabbit in the headlights most of the time. There were a few bum notes and missed entries - one of each in And You and I which were unforgivable to me.

But when you consider the potential hostility that Benoit David was up against... he absolutely nailed it. Vocally perfect, really likeable stage presence, shame about that one chord in Machine Messiah. I'd taken to him so much by then that I winced on his behalf. He didn't half look tiny next to Chris Squire!

Archived