Buying a kilt

Temple

Can anyone tell me how much a kilt with everything included (shirt, waistcoat, shoes etc.) would normally cost? I have been quoted ?400 but I've heard there are places in the town that would do it cheaper.

any help appreciated, cheers T

I'm sure Gold Brothers would do it for cheaper ;)

I'm not sure about todays prices but I'm sure if you shopped around you could get it cheaper.

Can anyone tell me how much a kilt with everything included (shirt, waistcoat, shoes etc.) would normally cost? I have been quoted ?400 but I've heard there are places in the town that would do it cheaper.

A decent kilt with everything included will be around double that, unless you buy a second hand one.

Depends how good a quality one you want if you want a hand made one not an off the peg one in a traditional tartan, then ?400 is cheap.

One my OH got his from was hand made took about 2 weeks to arrive and he gets free alterations for life.

He got his from the celtic craft centre in paisley close off the royal mile.

think I'll just go ahead and buy it then looks like I won't get much cheaper (unless I go to Gold Bros). Thanks for the help T

i've been looking at them online for my wedding and it looks like it'll cost me about ?700/?800. thats being fussy though, as i'm not going to be taking the cheap options

Would all depend on what you wan't the kilt for, if it's weddings etc then splash the cash however if it's for football trips abroad, ****ed at new year etc then a cheap one is ideal!

think I'll just go ahead and buy it then looks like I won't get much cheaper (unless I go to Gold Bros). Thanks for the help T

What style of jacket are you going for?

I suggest you check out the quality of the kilt and material being used and also check out the jacket etc as ?400 for a brand new full outfit is very cheap. Bowdens on Easter Road are very good for kilt outfits, normally around ?550 but they do have a sale on at the moment.

?400.00 is very cheap for the full outfit. I got a full heavyweigth 8yrd kilt handmade at DC Dalgleish in Selkirk for ?380.00 ( just the Kilt ). Once you add the rest on, you are easily at ?700.00 for a top quality outfit.

?400.00 sounds far too cheap to me.

A friend of mine is a kiltmaker - does the full heavyweight 8yd ones for very decent prices. Send me a PM if you want the details.

A friend of mine is a kiltmaker - does the full heavyweight 8yd ones for very decent prices. Send me a PM if you want the details.

I think we have the same friend:2thumbsup:

Man's 8 yard made to measure kilt in 16 ounce worsted wool - ?375. That a good deal? I've only ever rented a kilt so not sure.

It's like most things Temple, you get what you pay for.

I sourced out a kilt place that I liked and, like all the big shops, they did a "kilt deal" which meant if you bought absolutely everything from the one shop you got a little discount. I did this but opted for dearer options of things like the sporran and sgian dubh which brought the price up.

Great investment though.

?400.00 is very cheap for the full outfit. I got a full heavyweigth 8yrd kilt handmade at DC Dalgleish in Selkirk for ?380.00 ( just the Kilt ). Once you add the rest on, you are easily at ?700.00 for a top quality outfit.

?400.00 sounds far too cheap to me.

i probably made that :10900:

I got the full whack for my 21st from my parents.

Cost about ?800.

?400 seems a bit on the cheap side?

Remember, the better the quality the longer it will last.

Frankenstein Jambo.

Go to Marchbrae just opposite St Giles cathedral. Got some cracking heavyweight Kilts on sale. They have Ancient McKenzie, Royal Stewart, Dress Stewart, Hunters, McCourts and loads of different one. Personaly I'd go for dress stewart, reall smart!

Frankenstein Jambo.

What ever you do, do not go to one of these pakistani kilt shops. They are absoloutley pish when it comes to kilts and all things scottish.

For the record, not a racist post by any means.

Archived