The 'Noughties' are almost over. What will they be remembered for?

Buffalo Bill

9/11?

George W Bush? Afghanistan, Iraq?

Simon Cowell?

The ipod? Texting? Sky Plus?

Twitter? Facebook? Bebo? Metrosexuals? The return of the mullet?

Big Brother? Borat? Cold Play?

For me, if I take myself back to 1999, I can see more than a few differences.

Back then, I had a no ipod, I still listened to DVDs and I still had a VHS video recorder, not a DVD player. I wouldn't have understood the concept of Sky Plus. If I wanted to phone someone I had to do so on a land line. I wasn't married and I didn't have kids but at least I had a nice middle parting hair doo.

In '99, there was no reality TV, no Big Brother, I'm a Celebrity, Strictly Dancing thing etc etc. The Millenium Dome was yet to crash and burn and the Millenum Bug never did materialise.

In 1999, we had a Blair/Clinton love-in with the whole George Bush circus still to come. There was still a World Trade Centre and no credit crunch.

And in 1999, we thought Hearts were quids in, with the SMG money. It was too much to handle though so were gave a million away by purchasing Gordan Petric.

For me, it always be about that day in 2001.

wtc911.jpg

The Mighty Thor

Without doubt the events of 11th September 2001 have changed our world.

Other than that if you sit back you really notice technology creep, the dilution of indigenous cultures, the rampant spread of political correctness and IMHO a real fraying at the fabric of our society, although i'm sure the latter is more down to my age winding on by 10.

From a Hearts perspective the noughties will forever be about missed opportunities as it has been for the other 125 years of our history.

Would say the following are trends/things that have emerged during the naughties

Reality TV

Tattoo's becoming mainstream

Local pubs dying away/chain pubs taking over

Smoking ban

Ladette culture

'Safe' music

Americanization of the uk, Influx of Starbucks etc

Obama

I think he will be remembered as a 2010's sort of guy.

I would go with mobile phones, DVDs, fast internet, 9/11, reality TV and Vlad

Would say the following are trends/things that have emerged during the naughties

Reality TV

Tattoo's becoming mainstream

Local pubs dying away/chain pubs taking over

Smoking ban

Ladette culture

'Safe' music

Americanization of the uk, Influx of Starbucks etc

Ladette culture was a phenomenon of the 90s.

Other than the stuff already mentioned, I'd say:

BBC iPlayer, death of Michael Jackson, The Arctic Monkeys, the demise of Oasis, Flatscreen TVs, digital TV, the Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter films, the fall of Labour and the rise of the SNP in Scotland, the London terror attack, devolved government in Northern Ireland, the recession...

The People's Chimp
9/11?

wtc911.jpg

Without doubt the events of 11th September 2001 have changed our world.

Other than that if you sit back you really notice technology creep, the dilution of indigenous cultures, the rampant spread of political correctness and IMHO a real fraying at the fabric of our society, although i'm sure the latter is more down to my age winding on by 10.

From a Hearts perspective the noughties will forever be about missed opportunities as it has been for the other 125 years of our history.

Everything that happened was set in motion that day. It changed everything. It therefore must define this decade.

loveofthegame

Aye, 9/11 was the first thing that came into my head when i read the thread title.

Been a pretty mad but incredible decade for me, being only 12 at the turn of the century.

1 Scottish Cup win, countless incredible experiences with the Hearts, countless holidays all over the world, 9 European trips, a gf that ive now been with 4 years, a degree, and frightening amounts of other happy happy times. Also haven't lost anyone in this decade so long may that continue.

Happy to be alive!

9/11 for me. We were expecting our 1st child as this & the subsequent war on terror broke out.

I remember thinking 'what kind of a world am I bringing kids into'. Made me think about a lot of things.

On a personal level, the decade made me grow up in a lot of ways. Parental responsibilty changed me in ways I never imagined.

I love the techno stuff we now have. The advances made have been good & beneficial.

Who wants to use a telephone box after a couple of hundred jaikies have spilled their undiluted Friday night filth down the handset?

I think he will be remembered as a 2010's sort of guy.

I would go with mobile phones, DVDs, fast internet, 9/11, reality TV and Vlad

I hope he is. For all the right reasons of course.

Wasn't a very good answer i gave in the first place. What i meant was the noughties will be remembered as the decade the first black American president was chosen.

Were mobiles really the noughties? I had one at uni in 1998-1999 though it was a brick. I suppose they came into their own in the noughties. For me it will be reality tv - hope the next decade changes that.

Were mobiles really the noughties? I had one at uni in 1998-1999 though it was a brick. I suppose they came into their own in the noughties. For me it will be reality tv - hope the next decade changes that.

probably more so ones like the i-phone that you can surf the net etc with is more accurate

The Tsunami in 2004 will be up there as well.

This is quite sad but i had totally forgotten about it, first thing in my head was September 11, second was winning the cup

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic
This is quite sad but i had totally forgotten about it, first thing in my head was September 11, second was winning the cup

Bloody hell. I'd completely forgotten about that too. What does that say about me? 250,000 dead - almost 100 for every person that died on 9/11. Brutal.

Bloody hell. I'd completely forgotten about that too. What does that say about me? 250,000 dead - almost 100 for every person that died on 9/11. Brutal.

Same. Suppose it's partly because there's not such a dramatic image that you can have in your head of it and also that fact that it was a natural disaster.

No mention of the London bombings yet.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

9/11, first black president, the recession (How's that not been mentioned?!) Iraq, Afghanistan and Kearneys Woody outfit.

It must surely be seen as the decade of information.... the time when the internet and mobile communication truly found it's way to the mass market.

However, I think you are all forgetting the biggest event of the decade by a country mile........

Irvine Jambo!!! :2thumbsup:

The Wars in Afghan and Iraq spurned on by 9/11. Served in the Forces so that played a part in my life too.

Also became a husband and father so its been a big decade for me.

Big Brother (despite my strong disliking to it) has led to reality tv taking over the media.

Was introduced to Earl Grey tea a couple of years ago which was nice.

Craig Gordons Gloves

SNP winning the Scottish Election.

Champions League Nanananana (with a greek accent)

G8 at Gleneagles (i lived in Blackford in perthshire at the time, 1 1/2 miles from the hotel) and remember the massive police presence, the demonstrators trying to force my car off the road, the chinooks flying everyone in and then the next day, the whole place going very quiet because of the London Bombings

Trams.... (i suspect that one will be on the list at the end of the teenies too)

Celebrity obsessed non culture, the rise of the underclass, the dumbing down of British culture, the death of terrestrial TV and the print media.

Inspector Rex

From a personal POV, I was just a kid in 2000, 21 now. Other than family and football, everything else worthwhile in my life has come about this decade. Rites of passage and all that sort of cliched BS. So it'll probably remain important to me as time goes on IMO.

Dead bodies floating in the streets of New Orleans and not a thing being done about it.

9/11, first black president, the recession (How's that not been mentioned?!) Iraq, Afghanistan and Kearneys Woody outfit.

I mentioned the recession, and the London bombings, in the eigth post.

chester copperpot

I've just found out that the tidiest bird I pinged at school has been living as a lesbian for the last 10 years.

Just seen some photo's of her too which has made me almost cry, as she's got even better with age.

I hope you forgive me sharing this with you, but it is quite a memorable noughties memory for me now.

Feel my pain.

America waking up, due to 9/11 and Katrina.

Communication advances, giving some people a voice who really shouldn't have one.

Technological advances meaning I can watch (the ever more-rare) Hearts goals on my phone 5000 miles away.

The deterioration of terrestrial TV to the point where all producers have to do is film a karaoke contest, or someone dancing, or even a group of people doing nothing, and the nation becomes obsessed with it.

The shock to the banking system that made millions of people experts in the workings of the financial system, overnight.

Archived