New Forth crossing.

The Old Tolbooth

The Old Tolbooth

Estimated costs to be around ?2 billion, which is pretty heavy.

In my opinion the new crossing should have been designed and paid for long before any needless tram works, but it would be interesting to hear what other folk think.

In my opinion the new crossing should have been designed and paid for long before any needless tram works, but it would be interesting to hear what other folk think.

Couldnt agree more:2thumbsup: Summing up,a bridge is required ASAP.

Trams arent required AT ALL.

Fife Council should be paying for it. :smiley2:

We probably are as Edinburgh numpties have spent there lot on the trams. No problem for us though:2thumbsup:

Bang on John. A new Forth Bridge should have been under contruction by now, along with a new motorway link from the south side of the new bridge to the M9 near Winchburgh. Irrespective of corrosion, the current bridge and road layout are not fit for purpose long term.

Unfortunately, Edinburgh council are skint and the Labour government are going to use the project as a political football to beat up the SNP with (even though it is Scottish labour's short-sightedness that has delayed it thus far). Rest assured, if Labour were in power at Hollyrood, funding wouldn't be an issue.

What we are going to end up with is a new bridge linked into the same lousy road network. A golden opportunity missed.

should be a tunnel IMO

Don't believe everything you read in the papers or that tree-huggers say mate. Not an option for two reasons. First is the geology - south side of the Forth is soft clay and the north side deep rock, so its a challenge. Secondly, alot of the HGVs that the existing bridge can't cope with won't be allowed to use a tunnel like the one that was proposed (things like abnormal loads, some fuel tankers).

A bridge is the best option.

Thank feck they've got it sorted(ish). Not totally convinced by the structural design of the new bridge though, looks nice, but makes me a bit nervous tbh.

As for keeping us "northerners" out, pah, we'll still descend on your beautiful city in numbers :D

p.s anyone heard anything about the hovercraft. Trialled last year and was meant to be up an running late this year, or is that another thing that's fell by the way side.

Thank feck they've got it sorted(ish). Not totally convinced by the structural design of the new bridge though, looks nice, but makes me a bit nervous tbh.

As for keeping us "northerners" out, pah, we'll still descend on your beautiful city in numbers :D

p.s anyone heard anything about the hovercraft. Trialled last year and was meant to be up an running late this year, or is that another thing that's fell by the way side.

Where can I find a picture of it?

I've tried google but nothing came up.

a new Forth crossing should have been built in the 80's under the Tory government. The present bridge was never designed to carry the amount of traffic it does now. When the present bridge was opened in 1964 it wasn't long before the capacity was reached. The previous administratioon at Holyrood should have made this a priority but delayed the decision again and again.

Having said all that, it should have been a tunnel

Don't believe everything you read in the papers or that tree-huggers say mate. Not an option for two reasons. First is the geology - south side of the Forth is soft clay and the north side deep rock, so its a challenge. Secondly, alot of the HGVs that the existing bridge can't cope with won't be allowed to use a tunnel like the one that was proposed (things like abnormal loads, some fuel tankers).

A bridge is the best option.

They could easily build tunnels like the Big Dig (think it was in Boston, MA). Where sections of tunnel are pre-fabricated in dry docks, sealed, floated out, then sunk and anchored into postion. Each section is connected several times over until complete. All you would need to do, is dig small tunnels either side rather than right under the Forth, beneath the clay and rock.

Would be cheaper and quicker. Wouldn't enjoy it as much, compared to watching a bridge getting built though :stuart:.

This bloody thing should have been designed years ago and under construction now.

The bridge as it stands will barely be able to survive another ten years at most I would expect - although the corrosion in the cables isnt as bad as they feared it still can't be fixed and is getting worse.

Anyone with an ounce of common sense would ensure that the new crossing is built BEFORE the bridge is either shut or reductions in traffic are imposed.

A new finalised bridge design will be at least 2-4 years, then cue "environment consultations" which will be another year, then a good few years to build the thing - detour via Grangemouth anyone?

i hope they're using common sense and building it with 4 lanes in each direction. at least then it'll cope with rush hour traffic better and if there's an accident in one direction two lanes could still be used each way.

paying for it shouldn't be an issue given the amount of money we were robbed passing on the current bridge well after it was paid for

They could easily build tunnels like the Big Dig (think it was in Boston, MA). Where sections of tunnel are pre-fabricated in dry docks, sealed, floated out, then sunk and anchored into postion. Each section is connected several times over until complete. All you would need to do, is dig small tunnels either side rather than right under the Forth, beneath the clay and rock.

Would be cheaper and quicker. Wouldn't enjoy it as much, compared to watching a bridge getting built though :stuart:.

They could construct a tunnel like that on the south side of the river, but they couldn't construct a tunnel like that on the north side in the vacinity of Rosyth and North Queensferry. Lots of reasons, main one is the sea bed has to be kept clear for shipping/subs. The McIntosh rock (north side) would then present an hugely expensive obsticle to tunnel under.

If we were wanting to do things properly and weren't so short sighted, we'd build a 7 mile tunnel from the end of the City Bypass at Sir Harry Lauder Road to the end of the A92 just east of Kirckaldy. As any former miners will know, mining has proven that underneath the sea bed from East Lothian to East Neuk is ideal for tunnelling. It would cost alot more than a new crossing at Queensferry but significantly less per mile if that makes sense. It would solve a whole lot of traffic issues in the west of Edinburgh if traffic heading from the A1 didn't have to go around the bypass to cross the Forth to Fife and get north. The technology is there to do it.

People from Rosyth should have it added to their council tax, imo.

Especially Liverpool sympathizers.

The People's Chimp
i hope they're using common sense and building it with 4 lanes in each direction. at least then it'll cope with rush hour traffic better and if there's an accident in one direction two lanes could still be used each way.

paying for it shouldn't be an issue given the amount of money we were robbed passing on the current bridge well after it was paid for

You can guarantee that any bridge, in typical British fashion, will not be future proof and we'll be talking about another new one in 20 years, rather than spend the necessary money at an early stage.

The Old Tolbooth
People from Rosyth should have it added to their council tax, imo.

Especially Liverpool sympathizers.

Bolt :D

You can guarantee that any bridge, in typical British fashion, will not be future proof and we'll be talking about another new one in 20 years, rather than spend the necessary money at an early stage.

Just look at the real Forth Bridge, that's how a bridge should be built, still there over 100 years later and almost as good as new now.

Just look at the real Forth Bridge, that's how a bridge should be built, still there over 100 years later and almost as good as new now.

That's true but they actually built things well then and with skill.

I think it should be a tunnel. It's shortsighted not to. It may be a challenge but it could be done. Then people wouldn't have long detour's when it's a wee bit windy. But everything like this is shortsighted. Whoever decided the M8 should be 2 lanes between Scotland's 2 major cities needs shooting.

A duel purpose bridge (road & rail) is what's needed, thus opening up a true fife loop in the case of the trains allowing for greater capacity on public transport and hopefully less car journeys.

chester copperpot

Webbed hand people from Fife - Build a new bridge.

Civilised people - Who cares.

I'm with the latter if I'm honest.

Archived