Retrieving A File

neave

Just got a frantic text from my girlfriend asking me to put this on here (she knows about KB's infinite knowledge; she's benefitted from it before).

Is there any way of retrieving an old file that's been saved over by another version of the file? She accidentally saved an original copy of an essay over a newer, changed one, and it's the changed one she wants.

Any help?

does she still have the file open? if so she should be able to find the temproary file that is created when she first opened it. if not she is boned I think.

It can be done, I dont know how, but if she cant get the answer on here take it into a PC repair shop. A similar thing happened to a friend of mine who lost important files for his coursework, somehow the computer geeks in the shop managed to rescue them.

does she still have the file open? if so she should be able to find the temproary file that is created when she first opened it. if not she is boned I think.

Nah she doesn't mate.

For some reason I'm getting it in the ****ing neck. I ****ing hate women.

Even if there is a solution KB, don't tell me it. Let the **** suffer.

(Actually, better let me know in case she finds out I said this)

Nah she doesn't mate.

For some reason I'm getting it in the ****ing neck. I ****ing hate women.

Even if there is a solution KB, don't tell me it. Let the **** suffer.

(Actually, better let me know in case she finds out I said this)

I feel the solution is a steel chair to the head.

World's Shortest Fairy Tale

Once upon a time, a guy asked a girl 'Will you marry me?' The girl said, 'NO!' And the guy lived happily ever after and rode motorcycles and went fishing and hunting and played golf a lot and drank beer and scotch and had tons of money in the bank and left the toilet seat up and farted whenever he wanted. The end.

Take it she doesn't save all her old copies seperately? That's what I used to do.

Or if your still getting hassle by text switch your phone off and say your battery died! (Obviously I've never done this)

Just got a frantic text from my girlfriend asking me to put this on here (she knows about KB's infinite knowledge; she's benefitted from it before).

Is there any way of retrieving an old file that's been saved over by another version of the file? She accidentally saved an original copy of an essay over a newer, changed one, and it's the changed one she wants.

Any help?

If she's using one of the premium versions of Vista, such as business or ultimate she can recover previous versions of the document by right clicking on it and selecting the recover option.

The only other thing I can suggest is to search the hidden files within the folder it is saved in, or search the temp or tmp files folders for a document with a similar name which starts with a little squigly symbol (which I cant do on this keyboard because it doesnt have it on laptop keyboards), you might get lucky and find a partial copy of it by doing that

There are plenty of file recovery programmes around but NONE of them will recover an overwritten document for you unless its an excel document.

If none of that works then its a data recovery expert and it will take ages, might not work properly and WILL cost a fortune.

Did she ever email it to anyone at any point. She would be able to recover what she emailed if she still has the original email as a sent item ?

Take it she doesn't save all her old copies seperately? That's what I used to do.

Or if your still getting hassle by text switch your phone off and say your battery died! (Obviously I've never done this)

Or if you are at home, stick your phone inside the microwave so that she gets the 'no signal message' rather than the switched off phone going straight to voicemail :10900:

Could you not just roll the machine back to a restore point a day or so ago before it was re saved?

A system restore doesn't work that way mate.

As someone said earlier, there will probably be a version of the doc in a temp directory somewhere that she can use. She just needs to know how to find it.

Find out where word stores it's temporary docs (I'm not sure if Office has it's own temp folder or if it just uses the windows temp folder).

If it uses the windows temp folder you can find it by (on XP I believe it's C:\\Documents and Settings\\Local Settings\Temp) (Either that or click 'Start', 'Run' and in the run box type '%temp%' without quotes).

Looking at the files and folders in the temp directory, look for anything that was last modified at the time that she was working on the file that she is looking to retrieve (You might need to change the view to 'Details'). You might find it this way.

Sorry if this info is a bit patchy. I'm trying to do this from memory as I'm nowhere near a Windows machine.

Any help?

Was this when someone told you to get her pumped????:10900:

Sorry don't know how to retrieve the file.

Archived